Reconfiguring a $200 headstock

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Reconfiguring a $200 headstock

Post by Gene Howe »

OK guys, I'm a total dunce when it comes to reconfiguring machines. I have no imagination and even less mechanical skill and darned little metal working experience.
Let's say one were to take "Option #1", keeping the headstock. How would one reconfigure the old one (mine's got the new double bearing and has been recently overhauled by the factory). to what purposes could one put the old head stock? Think economics, here. How could it be re-purposed to serve the functions of tools not owned or tools that could be replaced? Would such re-purposing serve to recoup the trade in value? How would it make life easier in the shop?
With all the admirable "Out Of The Box" thinkers on this forum, surely we should be able to come up with some novel and useful ways to employ such a well made machine, as the "old" headstock is.
Thanks folks.
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
robedney
Gold Member

Post by robedney »

Gene Howe wrote:OK guys, I'm a total dunce when it comes to reconfiguring machines. I have no imagination and even less mechanical skill and darned little metal working experience.
Let's say one were to take "Option #1", keeping the headstock. How would one reconfigure the old one (mine's got the new double bearing and has been recently overhauled by the factory). to what purposes could one put the old head stock? Think economics, here. How could it be re-purposed to serve the functions of tools not owned or tools that could be replaced? Would such re-purposing serve to recoup the trade in value? How would it make life easier in the shop?
With all the admirable "Out Of The Box" thinkers on this forum, surely we should be able to come up with some novel and useful ways to employ such a well made machine, as the "old" headstock is.
Thanks folks.
Keep it and put it on the shelf. This upgrade to a dc motor and speed control is a good thing. However, problems will be harder to diagnose and repairs more complicated. Having a back-up, working headstock is a very good idea if you can afford it.

If and when I do this upgrade, I will do it myself with the upgrade kit. I will also pick-up the very next complete headstock I see on EBay (or another full machine:) )
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

If I had a headstock with no job, I would consider building it into a permanently installed drill press.

If I had a functional headstock and was going to purchase Option #1, I certainly would not return the headstock for a $200.00 rebate. I also would not consider parting it out. This means that I would have to find a way to utilize it.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

I'm a woodworking hobbiest, not an erector-set type. The idea of putting the old headstock on as shelf in a baggy would take up space, next to the Olivetti Semi-Electric typewriter now on a shelf in a baggy.:D
I like the idea of a drill press station or a bandsaw station. It would be nice if SS were to fabricate a base for those who wish to store their older headstocks.
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

dusty wrote:If I had a headstock with no job, I would consider .......
I thought you were already retired!!:p (sorry....couldn't resist)
Mike
Sunny San Diego
jayhawk
Gold Member

Post by jayhawk »

Way and Bench tubes and the associated frame parts are cheap on ebay. If one took Option #1, they could buy a frame on ebay and put their old headstock on it to make a very inexpensive second Shopsmith for their shop. Too bad the parts are so heavy. Shipping might be fairly high.
Jayhawk
1982 Mark V 500 'Shorty' upgraded to 510 S/N 131846 (purchased new)
PowerPro S/N 09-02-10 (Sept 2010)
SS PowerStation, Bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, thickness planer, strip sander, lathe duplicator, ringmaster, jig saw, OPR
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

kalynzoo wrote:I'm a woodworking hobbyist, not an erector-set type. The idea of putting the old headstock on as shelf in a baggy would take up space, next to the Olivetti Semi-Electric typewriter now on a shelf in a baggy.:D
I like the idea of a drill press station or a bandsaw station. It would be nice if SS were to fabricate a base for those who wish to store their older headstock's.

I think there are going to be a lot of used headstock's on eBay where you will get a lot more than $200 especially for one that was recently reconditioned like mine. Now to find $1,900.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

I'm thinking that with the guts left over from a DIY upgrade, I'm 3/4 of the way toward a homebrew PowerStation, or at the very least, being able to convert my planer to stand-alone, or both.
Paul

520 PowerPro, Planer, Bandsaw, Jointer, Belt Sander, 20" Scroll Saw, Dust Collector, conical disc
Also: 3D printers, and a homebrew CNC
fiatben
Platinum Member

brainstorming

Post by fiatben »

What about a 2nd Shopsmith with 2 headstocks as a poor man's power station for two SPTs? I haven't measured it out, but if there's room in the middle for a table, then you could have a sanding station in the middle as well.
So now I'm envisioning a Power Pro set up as a saw with a jointer on the end and the second SS with dual headstocks running the bandsaw and belt sander.
'55 Greenie #292284 (Mar-55), '89 SS 510 #020989, Mark VII #408551 (sold 10/14/12), SS Band Saw, (SS 500 #36063 (May-79) now gone to son-in-law as of 11-11), Magna bandsaw, Magna jointer 16185 (May-54), Magna belt sander SS28712 (Dec-82), Magna jigsaw SS4397 (Dec-78), SS biscuit joiner, Zyliss (knockoff) vise, 20+ hand planes, 60s Craftsman tablesaw, CarbaTec mini-lathe, and the usual pile of tools. Hermit of the Hills Woodworks, a hillbilly in the foothills of the Ozarks, scraping by.
allsas
Gold Member

Why not a Bench Top SS for sanding, sharpening?

Post by allsas »

Purpose of a SPARE, is to be sure it works when needed.

The Spare should be a hot spare that is used frequently to verify that it is operating.

It would be very easy to make a benchtop cradle, and mount sanding disk for sanding or w/the Shopsmith Sharpening Guide for touching up tuning lathe chisels.... BUT NOT 555471 Planer/Jointer Knife Sharpener because it would not be stable enough.

Flap sanders, polishing brushes, >>>>>>? other low precision and low force applications, maybe even a grinding wheel.

Why haven't I done it,,, I robbed the hot spare to get another headstock going and it needed more than my stock of SPARE PARTS....
MK V 520; MK V 510 w/PP DIY Upgrade; MK 5 500; Jointer; Bandsaw; Sliding Table; Conical Sanding Disk; Sharpening Guide, Lathe Duplicator, Jigsaw, Scrollsaw, Beltsander, Ring Master, Biscuit Joiner.