Sand Flee

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Sand Flee is "Out of Reach"

Post by dusty »

:( The only way I'll ever have a Sand Flee is if Shopsmith offers one to the individual who signs onto the forum most frequently. Then I MIGHT have a chance. That price puts it completely out of the question 'for my shop'.

It belongs in the shop of someone who can recoup its cost via reduced sanding time and improved sanding results thus increased price/profit.

I'm still looking forward to the Sawdust Session tomorrow.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
tigris1997
Gold Member

Sand Flea

Post by tigris1997 »

Too rich for my blood!
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

Out of reach for me also. I think they may have some trouble moving it at that price. If it comes on sale it will still be out of reach I'm afraid.:eek:
dusty
Platinum Member

Sand Flee

Post by dusty »

(Way too Expensive - 15% of Way too Expensive) = Still Way too Expensive.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Like I said before for that price it should build your project, finish it and pat you on the back.
Too rich for my blood.
Ed
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Okay, I think everyone gets the idea that it's too expensive. Let's not beat a dead horse. Any new business to discuss? :)
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Boy, I was sanding some maple pieces that I book-matched (resawing) yesterday. The pieces were quite thin and I found myself thinking that the Sand Flee would be just the ticket for this kind of sanding. I'll be thinking about this....

Chris
Shopsmith 510, Bandsaw, and other accessories
Nick
Platinum Member

Comparing Apples and Apples

Post by Nick »

I'm not going to argue with you about expense, but you guys may want to compare the Sand Flee to comparable tools that can perform some of the same operations. That will give you a much better idea of its relative cost in the woodworking tool marketplace.

Sanding Tool/Cost/Cost to Replace Abrasive
Preformax 16-32/$800-$900/$5-$9
Jet 16-32/$800-$900/$5-$9
Delta 18 x 36/$950-$1100/$4-$7
Sand Flee/$500-$700/$1-$2

With all good wishes,
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

Nick wrote: Sanding Tool/Cost/Cost to Replace Abrasive
Preformax 16-32/$800-$900/$5-$9
Jet 16-32/$800-$900/$5-$9
Delta 18 x 36/$950-$1100/$4-$7
Sand Flee/$500-$700/$1-$2

With all good wishes,
You are comparing it to a 16"-18" wide device, is the Sand Flee top 16"/18" wide?

I was comparing it to the Preformax 10-20, at under $500, which I really don't have room for or I would have already purchased. Also these devices all include 2 motors, so it looks like you are value pricing and that is hard to do when you are trying to grow market share.

The original value proposition of the Shopsmith was compact size AND cheaper than all the individual tools if purchased separately. Now it seems to just be more compact. The SPT's are all equal to or more expensive than similar standalone tools, with the Sand Flee Shopsmith had the opportunity to change this but did not.

I wish my customers gave me as direct pricing feedback as Shopsmith got before they announced the Sand Flee price.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

Paul- Shopsmith's Sand Flee's drum is 18" long, the stainless steel top is 23” x 21-1/4”. The Sand Flee's manufacturer does offer a smaller version with a 9" long drum, but you'd have to consult Shopsmith to see if they have plans to adapt the smaller version to SS in the future. Probably depends on how well the big version sells.

Gary