Would you buy......

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

skoler33
Silver Member

Would you buy......

Post by skoler33 »

Okay so i have a "loaded" question...... just looking for some feedback

If you had the chance to purchase a 1985 Mark V 510 from a older retired couple that inherited the machine from a dead uncle... i can tell they do not know really what the Shop Smith does and the pictures are really nice.. all the manuals and accessories are there, overall it LOOKS GREAT and could be one of those right time right place deals of the month... they just want to get rid of it..

so here's the catch, i asked them to plug in and turn on.... all that happens is the "MOTOR HUMM" ..... so i looked into that problem and from what i can tell it's one of a few things and all of them except replace the motor are pretty cheap.... after realizing this they lowered the price to $100 come and get rid of this for us... type deal?

if everything is in great shape, would you buy, and give it the TLC to fix the motor hum??
jdramsey
Gold Member

Post by jdramsey »

For $ 100, it's probably worth it. Depending on the accessories, it might be worth it just to buy those (assuming you already have a SS). If it's not worth the cost of repairing it, part in out on Ebay and recover your costs.
Jim Ramsey
Lakewood, CA

"When people find out that my hobby is woodworking, they often ask what do I do with it. I tell them that I am very good at making sawdust and expensive firewood."
billmeyer
Gold Member

Post by billmeyer »

I would grab it.

Bill
skoler33
Silver Member

Post by skoler33 »

thanks for the feedback! i'm going to check it out tomorrow and i have a hunch it will work out in my favor... other part was that its 1 hour and 45 minutes away so hearing some positive feedback helps..... normally i think most of us would scoff at the idea of buying a power tool used, that doesn't turn on....

kris
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

skoler33 wrote:thanks for the feedback! i'm going to check it out tomorrow and i have a hunch it will work out in my favor... other part was that its 1 hour and 45 minutes away so hearing some positive feedback helps..... normally i think most of us would scoff at the idea of buying a power tool used, that doesn't turn on....

kris
It is a no brainer for me! But then I know how to fix em.

We can help you fix it!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
skoler33
Silver Member

Post by skoler33 »

nice!! also if it wasn't evident, i'm pretty much a newbie, but think i can follow good advice if i run into any major issues with it. and I've weighed the pros and cons.... with the help from this forum and my research over the last week, i think it is now becoming a "no brainer too"!
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Buy, Buy, Buy, Buy, Buy

They are typically very fixable. Just look.....http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showpost.htm?p=43556&postcount=124
Mike
Sunny San Diego
skoler33
Silver Member

Post by skoler33 »

Okay so i bought it!!! its in really good condition, minus the humming motor... and it has the PRO fence system and it is a 1987, (after checkin serial)

So i have watched a couple vids and read the manual on cleaning and general TLC... gave a couple of drops of oil in the rights spots... lubed all other important teeth..ect... basic TLC lube job all around...

i plugged it in for 2 secs heard the "humm" and turned it off, i did notice the speed dial was cranked on hi, and i think speed dial was spun up when the machine was off by unknowing sellers... NO BAD SMELLS from the motor, and when i got her home and popped off the dust cover, there was no rust, not much lube either, but all the teeth were in great shape and i really dont think it has seen much use, motor is still shiney. I blew compressed air in there to get any remainder dust out but after all the basic tlc and lube still humming...

i know there are plenty of threads about this but can't seem to find a killer instructional thread with all the angles covered... can you'all point me in the right direction.... someone needs to make a youtube video about this. thanks for all the help guys...

EDIT: did some more investigating and am lead to believe i need to get at the centrifugal contacts and file them down.... Question is how do i asccess them?? i have the motor detached and power switch is out of unit too... how do i get to next step of cleaning centrifugal contacts?
doug45601
Gold Member

Post by doug45601 »

Put the sanding disk on it.. Hand turn it while slowly turning the speed dial back down to LOW... The try to plug in and run again! Could be all that's needed!
aaa.ron
Bronze Member

RE

Post by aaa.ron »

skoler33 wrote:Okay so i have a "loaded" question...... just looking for some feedback

If you had the chance to purchase a 1985 Mark V 510 from a older retired couple that inherited the machine from a dead uncle... i can tell they do not know really what the Shop Smith does and the pictures are really nice.. all the manuals and accessories are there, overall it LOOKS GREAT and could be one of those right time right place deals of the month... they just want to get rid of it..

so here's the catch, i asked them to plug in and turn on.... all that happens is the "MOTOR HUMM" ..... so i looked into that problem and from what i can tell it's one of a few things and all of them except replace the motor are pretty cheap.... after realizing this they lowered the price to $100 come and get rid of this for us... type deal?

if everything is in great shape, would you buy, and give it the TLC to fix the motor hum??
Hi, it would be good deal. 100$ is fair price. Could I have your email ID so that I can contact you for more information??

I'm waiting for your soonest and positive reply....

Thank you!