How much does a $200 Shopsmith cost?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

paulrussell
Platinum Member

How much does a $200 Shopsmith cost?

Post by paulrussell »

A while back I bought a small CNC machine (see the BluumaxCNC thread) with dreams of making wooden clocks & puzzles. However prepared wood of the right dimensions is expensive so I decided to buy basic woodworking tools, which led me to buy a $200 model 500.
As you can see in my signature, I quickly discovered a newfound interest in both woodworking & Shopsmith. Not counting blades & similar expendibles, I've spent 7 or 8 times my initial investment on SPTs, a dust collecter, and upgrades.
So then my wife sees a few of the ways my new interest has helped around the house & decides its not so bad, and offers to convert a room (bedroom or former 'kids den' in basement) into a workshop.
Meanwhile, I'm looking at how much more I could do with a more capable CNC, which would cost about the same as my entire SS collection. (Anyone interested in a used but well-loved Bluumax?)
So now me and the Mrs are thinking that a 'real' workshop is the best answer, but we can't add on or build a outbuilding due to local ordinances.
Answer? New house. (new to us, not new build.) of course this isn't ONLY because of workshop needs, but it was the proberbial last straw.
So how much does a $200 Shopsmith cost? :)
Paul

520 PowerPro, Planer, Bandsaw, Jointer, Belt Sander, 20" Scroll Saw, Dust Collector, conical disc
Also: 3D printers, and a homebrew CNC
horologist
Gold Member

Post by horologist »

Paul,

Look at it this way... considering the depressed property values, a larger house is now cheaper than before the crash and will appreciate more than your current smaller house. If you are patient your $200 Shopsmith may make you money. :D

What CNC are you considering? I am seriously considering a Sherline system. Eventually I would like to have a manual Bridgeport as well but currently have no space for 2400lb of cast iron.

Troy
The best equipped laundry room in the neighborhood...
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

I think this is called the law of "unintended consequences".
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Horologist:

Hasn't anyone ever suggested that you need to build a new shop?
wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

Post by wlhayesmfs »

I don't know for sure how much a $200 dollar Ss cost but I bet you my wife can tell you. Since in the last month I picked up that really nice 520 with sawtrain, jointer, biscuit jointer plus, a 510 with bandsaw,strip sander and jointer, a 500 with jointer, 6" belt sander, jig saw, and three boxes of extra with this one. I have gotten about 6 disks for sanding and appox. 30 table saw blades mostly high quality. This was on top of the 510, brownie and 5 ER's I already had. Got most of then cleaned up and starting to really enjoy my shop. No room for a car but a great shop. Good thing I have a large carport. That works also as an extended shop on good day. :D
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
horologist
Gold Member

Post by horologist »

8iowa wrote:Horologist:

Hasn't anyone ever suggested that you need to build a new shop?
Never! Build a shop when I have a perfectly good laundry room?
The best equipped laundry room in the neighborhood...
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

horologist wrote:Paul,

Look at it this way... considering the depressed property values, a larger house is now cheaper than before the crash and will appreciate more than your current smaller house. If you are patient your $200 Shopsmith may make you money. :D

What CNC are you considering? I am seriously considering a Sherline system. Eventually I would like to have a manual Bridgeport as well but currently have no space for 2400lb of cast iron.

Troy
Yes, it took a while but I finally got my wife to realize that the depression on the value of homes can be to your advantage. So what if our house has dropped $35k in value. If the house we are buying has dropped even more (i.e. a bigger house) we come out ahead. Sometimes it takes a while for logic to outweigh the initial gut reaction.
As far as CNC - I'd love a mill such as a sherline, but I'm probably going with a wood routing system with a bigger table. I'm looking at something along the lines of the FinelineAutomation FLA-100M a 24x36" table with a 4" z-axis.
But I would like to be able someday to cut metal as well. I might end up with a small Taig.
Paul

520 PowerPro, Planer, Bandsaw, Jointer, Belt Sander, 20" Scroll Saw, Dust Collector, conical disc
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

paulrussell wrote:Yes, it took a while but I finally got my wife to realize that the depression on the value of homes can be to your advantage. So what if our house has dropped $35k in value. If the house we are buying has dropped even more (i.e. a bigger house) we come out ahead. Sometimes it takes a while for logic to outweigh the initial gut reaction.
As far as CNC - I'd love a mill such as a sherline, but I'm probably going with a wood routing system with a bigger table. I'm looking at something along the lines of the FinelineAutomation FLA-100M a 24x36" table with a 4" z-axis.
But I would like to be able someday to cut metal as well. I might end up with a small Taig.

I have been thinking of getting a new hatchet... :D :D
No matter what the level it is always good to be wishing for something. :)
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

robinson46176 wrote:I have been thinking of getting a new hatchet... :D :D
I have my great-grandpa's hatchet. Over the years we've had to replace the handle twice, and the head once, but it is so nice to have something that great-grandpa used with his own hands.

;)
Paul

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

[quote="paulrussell"]I have my great-grandpa's hatchet. Over the years we've had to replace the handle twice, and the head once, but it is so nice to have something that great-grandpa used with his own hands.

]

Why does this sound familiar?:confused:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange