Craigslist overflowing with Shopsmiths

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Craigslist overflowing with Shopsmiths

Post by wannabewoodworker »

If anybody here is looking for a Shopsmith or other SS stuff I just searched Cragslist and there is an amazing amount of good deals on there right now. There are a couple of Sawsmiths one of which is the Deluxe model. Couple of radial arm saws. There are also a great deal of low price Mark V's if you are in the right geographical region someone could get a rebuildable Mark V pretty cheap.

Go to http://craiglook.com/ and type Shopsmith into the search field. This will list every Shopsmith add on every Craigslist sight currently running. Not too many in my region but if you are out west there is a ton of deals out there.

Just thought I would post to see if anyone could use the info.
Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

You might try using -- shopsmith OR "shop smith" -- as your search strategy, as you'll get those who have listed their machine either way.

In my area today, if I search for just -- shopsmith -- I get three pages of results within 250 miles, but if I search for -- shopsmith OR "shop smith" -- I get five pages.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

wannabewoodworker wrote:If anybody here is looking for a Shopsmith or other SS stuff I just searched Cragslist and there is an amazing amount of good deals on there right now. There are a couple of Sawsmiths one of which is the Deluxe model. Couple of radial arm saws. There are also a great deal of low price Mark V's if you are in the right geographical region someone could get a rebuildable Mark V pretty cheap.

Go to http://craiglook.com/ and type Shopsmith into the search field. This will list every Shopsmith add on every Craigslist sight currently running. Not too many in my region but if you are out west there is a ton of deals out there.

Just thought I would post to see if anyone could use the info.
Thanks for the post. I was absolutely amazed at how many Shopsmiths are listed. I just did Shopsmith with no geographic limitations. I got 27 pages of returns.

I did notice that not too many people are trying to give them away. Many of the asking prices are unbelievably high.

There are more in the Tucson +200 miles than I expected too.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

pennview wrote:You might try using -- shopsmith OR "shop smith" -- as your search strategy, as you'll get those who have listed their machine either way.

In my area today, if I search for just -- shopsmith -- I get three pages of results within 250 miles, but if I search for -- shopsmith OR "shop smith" -- I get five pages.

Pennview,
If you are using Craiglook Search for Craigslist ads don't put anything in the geographic area just search all of Craigslist and you will get many pages of results.
Michael Mayo
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

I agree that not specifying a location gets you hits around the country. I was just trying to point out that some folks list their machine on Cragislist as a "shopsmith" (one word) and others say "shop smith" (two words). So, if you just ask for "shopsmith" you will only get hits on "shopsmith" and miss all of the listings from folks who list their machine as a "shop smith." If you want to get all of them, you should search for -- shopsmith OR "shop smith"--

On Ebay, if you search for "shopsmith," you get both shopsmith and shop smith, because they automatically include both versions of the spelling.

http://www.searchtempest.com/ is another site that will search Craigs List. It searches up to 250 miles from a given ZIP code, but it gives you results in order of closest to farthest, so it may be easier to find something closer to home. Here again, searching for -- shopsmith OR "shop smith" -- gets you machines listed as one or two words.
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

A quick update. The results you get are significant on the craiglook site depending on your search strategy. Searching for "shopsmith," I got 592 hits just now. Using -- shopsmith OR "shop smith" -- I got 802 hits. So, about 75 percent list their machine as a "shopsmith" and about 25 percent list as a "shop smith" (at least with this sample).
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

You are absolutely correct and I didn't understand your point. Thank you for the clarification on search strategy. By the way I tried "Shopsmith" + "Shop Smith" and got 73 hits, then I tried Shopsmith or Shop Smith and got 4,900+ hits so it definitely pays to try different boolean strategies. I checked again and the 4,900 hits was due to it finding shop and smith hits so if you enclose the terms in quotes it will only find the exact phrase instead of the individual words. With it editted I got 788 hits for both phrases and only 578 for Shopsmith.
Michael Mayo
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
thainglo
Gold Member

Post by thainglo »

I'm a big fan of "Craigspal" which has a free version that lets you specify which cities and/or states you want to search. I found the same with the spelling and search both "Shopsmith" and "Shop Smith." You can then sort results by date placed, price, city. Pretty handy tool that I tap into daily.
Lost count, over a dozen rebuilt/repaired/restored
Personal equipment: 510 made in 1993, belt sander, jig saw, band saw, planer and jointer

Matt in GA
tango
Gold Member

Big fan, but getting a little burned

Post by tango »

Craigslist is a great site; I've used it several times. I once tried to sell my Shopsmith on there and actually got a hit on it; I was totally surprised. The guy said he wanted to buy my "item" from Craigslist (his exact words). I emailed him and asked if he wanted any further pics of the items, since I listed it for a rather high price. He replied that he did want more pics. I asked him what he wanted pics of and he said "whatever, it doesn't matter." I started to grow suspicious. I sent him some pics of the bandsaw, drill chuck, and a few others. He replied with "great, what is your physical address so I can have it picked up?" He then proceeded to send me a check made out for the total amount... IN PENCIL! SERIOUSLY, PENCIL! I googled this type of thing and found a literal sea of info on these types of scams. These guys send notices to everyone they can find saying they want to buy their stuff; they don't even know what they're buying. They do this all the time; they send you a check which is supposed to arrive around the same time some guy in a huge truck comes to pick up your stuff. Once the stuff is on the truck you're out of luck! I almost had my SS stolen!!

Craigslist is great, but it's full of scammers. Another guy wouldn't sell me a set of lathe chisels for $30; he said he'd been scammed too many times. I offered to pay via paypal and he refused, said he wanted cash! Come on, seriosly; I'm going to send 30 bucks through the mail, instead of use paypal?? Crazy... I think he was freaked out since I'm in Belgium, even though I told him I'm Active Duty Mil... didn't seem to matter

SS is still in my garage and I have since fallen in love with it again; no sale this time. Oh, and the SAME EXACT thing happened when I tried to sell my Ducati 900 monster! Craigslist... great site, but full of scammers...
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Looks like Craiglook is no longer working with Craig's List. They're just a generic classified ad search site now. That's a real bummer. Anybody know of an alternative that works as well as that site did?
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration