Planar's and dust collection

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

robg
Gold Member

Planar's and dust collection

Post by robg »

So I haven't been able to use it yet, but I just set up a pro planer. I realized as I was drifting off to sleep last night that there doesn't seem to be any place to attach the dust collector. Can this be? It seems like the planar has to generate similar cuttings to the jointer and the jointer has a dust collection spot.

What am I missing?
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Call Jan...

Post by chiroindixon »

Yup...you have a problem. My stand alone Pro Planer has a hole in the cover and the 300001 Dust Planer kit may be the answer.....But I'm not sure where the outlet hole is.....Mine has one.

Call Jan at Ext 767 and tell her you are "Doc's friend". She'll take good care of you....

Doc
wurlitzerwilly
Gold Member

Post by wurlitzerwilly »

I'm not certain, but I think there may be a metal plate with the Shopsmith emblem on it, covering the dust collection hole on the SS planer. AFAIK this is to prevent anything (including fingers) contacting the blades until the collection kit is fitted.
I bought mine second user, so that part was already fitted and I don't believe I have any instructions.
You won't damage the planer by not using extraction, but it does tend to make the 'shop messy. :)

Regards,

Alan.
Regards,

Alan.
www.theatreorgans.co.uk
www.virtualtheatreorgans.com
Admin: UKShopsmiths Group
Theatre Pipe Organ Builder
ShopSmith V520 + Power Pro
Unregistered

Post by Unregistered »

Turns out you have to order the dust chute seperately. Personally I think that's ridiculous for $1000 tool, but they knocked shipping off to get it to me, so I can't be completely unhappy. Thanks for the help.
robg
Gold Member

Post by robg »

Turns out you have to order the dust chute seperately. Personally I think that's ridiculous for $1000 tool, but they knocked shipping off to get it to me, so I can't be completely unhappy. Thanks for the help.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

You have to buy the dust collection kit for the planer. Kind of rediculous given the price of the Pro Planer. You have to take the screw out of the ShopSmith logo an the outfeed side of the planer, rotate it 180 degrees and reinstall the screw. Then you install the dust collector chute.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT