Pocket Hole Clamp

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Cocacola;
Put the drill bit into the pocket hole drill so that it bottoms out on the jig the raise the bit and put a nickel under the tip of the drill bit and tighten the collar on the bit. This will stop the bit before you break through the finish side.
Bill V
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

cocacola1012 wrote:I have the mini kreg jig kit. What is the secret to setting the stop collar to the right hight? Sometimes I set it to high and the bit goes all the way thru the board. I don't see no ruler on it like the more expensive jigs do.
It should have come with paper work on how to adjust it but it sounds like you are missing that. The good news is that you can find it here:
http://www.kregtool.com/information_cen ... eg_jig.pdf

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
shydragon
Gold Member

Post by shydragon »

I saw the Rockler ad and I thought about it. I currently have the kreg setup along with their pocket hole clamp. I used it quite a bit this last weekend. It really worked well. My thought with the Rockler clamp is the time to screw the clamp tight and then un-screw it. But, maybe that is not a big deal. I usually glue the joints also, and I'm thinking time is a factor.
Pat

Oregon

1992 SS 510, 11" Bandsaw on power station, 4" jointer, Pro Planer, Incra Miter 2000, Incra Ultimate Fence Router Pkg, Grizzly 6" Parallelogram Jointer.
mhn1957
Silver Member

But wait!

Post by mhn1957 »

If you are doing an inside pocket, you would have to back'ards the board and make certain that your pockets were centered, or at least mirror images. Looks great for outside pockets.:)
Mark
8 miles north of the Ohio River, near Portsmouth, Ohio
Shopsmith Mark V (SS-68425)
bandsaw(SS-28617), jigsaw, 4 inch jointer, belt sander
honeywell
Gold Member

Post by honeywell »

cocacola1012 wrote:I have the mini kreg jig kit. What is the secret to setting the stop collar to the right hight? Sometimes I set it to high and the bit goes all the way thru the board. I don't see no ruler on it like the more expensive jigs do.
I have had this problem also. Thanks to reible for the directions (mine got misplaced). I guess I will have to make some type of referance jig, like the R3. It has a little groove to line up the stop collar for the correct depth.
dejure
Bronze Member

Reverse engineering

Post by dejure »

I picked up a wide jaw vice grip from Harbor Freight. It's cheap and similar to the Kreg clamp. I just cut one of the pads off and ground it a bit.
bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

I believe you can buy a screw hole vice grip style made by Kreg at woodcraft, HD, Lowes, etc. That's what I have and it's pretty fast to clamp and un-clamp.

http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-KHC-RAC-Right-Angle-Clamp/dp/B001DCE79O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1268011392&sr=1-1
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool: