Making a Router Table that fits on my 510

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bluekayak
Gold Member

Post by bluekayak »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the tips and the link. I like the clear base; it seems like it might keep you more focused on safety. It may be a little thick for my old router. It only extends an inch above the 1/8" existing baseplate.

Now I going shopping to see if I can get any ideas.

Thanks,

Jerry Floren
St. Peter, MN
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

bluekayak wrote:Hi Thomrider. Thanks for starting this thread. It got me thinking about how I could make router table that attaches to my older (500) Shopsmith.

I had a senior moment and posted my original idea in the thread John started showing his router table.

This was my original idea:

I have some old counter top with 3/4" plywood that I will probably use. After clamping the counter top to the the extension table, I don't think legs are necessary. I do have a shaper fence. Can I use that?

The only router I have is a Sear's Craftsman, about 30 years old. It does have a removable baseplate.

Here is what it looks like from underneath:

I'm going to check out some stores this afternoon, and maybe I will find the answers to my questions.

I need a different baseplate. What do you use for that?

Do you just cut a hole in the top that is large enough for the router to pass through and then do some careful routing about an 1/8" deep to hold the router's baseplate that extends out from the router?

If any of you have any tips on this, I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Jerry Floren
St. Peter, MN

There are different ways to do this. These images show how both of mine are mounted.
Attachments
P2260001.JPG
P2260001.JPG (157.57 KiB) Viewed 2369 times
P2260003.JPG
P2260003.JPG (146.86 KiB) Viewed 2361 times
P2260006.JPG
P2260006.JPG (161.36 KiB) Viewed 2359 times
P2260008.JPG
P2260008.JPG (144.77 KiB) Viewed 2354 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

Here is another base plate source and this one comes with rings and a starter pin... Harbor Freight.
If you really want to check out router tables/plates you might want to look at The Router Forums. Those guys can answer any and all questions you have about anything, especially router related.
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
bluekayak
Gold Member

Post by bluekayak »

Thank you Dusty for the pictures. The one with the leveling screws really helped me. I think I know what to do now. Too bad it will have to wait until next weekend.

Thanks George for the link. I figured I needed one that was at least 9" X 11" and this one is even bigger. It should work fine with my router.

Jerry Floren
St. Peter, MN
jgrounds
Gold Member

Post by jgrounds »

a1gutterman wrote:FYI, the router table that I received from ShopSmith with my Incra Ultimate package (for model 510 table system), is exactly like that, except the placement of the router plate is in the center of the table.
Do you have any pictures of it set up on the SS? I looked at the photo at SS but it is mounted on a 520 not a 510. Would really like to see it set up on a 510.

Thanks,
John
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

I have been thinking about building a router table for my 520. Using two 3/4" thick pieces of MDF plus the router, and rails how heavy are they to pick up and put on the SS? How do you store it when not in use? Do you remove the router so it would not be sticking out? I have almost made up my mind to build a stand alone table. I like the looks of this Router Table
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

jgrounds wrote:Do you have any pictures of it set up on the SS? I looked at the photo at SS but it is mounted on a 520 not a 510. Would really like to see it set up on a 510.

Thanks,
John
I am sorry John, but I can knot currently provide any pictures for you. I looked at the SS picture, and I assure you, except for the rails, it is the same. Maybe another member has a picture?
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

joedw00 wrote:I have been thinking about building a router table for my 520. Using two 3/4" thick pieces of MDF plus the router, and rails how heavy are they to pick up and put on the SS? How do you store it when not in use? Do you remove the router so it would not be sticking out? I have almost made up my mind to build a stand alone table. I like the looks of this Router Table
Joe,
Here are a couple of pics of the table I built. It started out to be a chest of drawers, but I decided that I needed a router table more. :D
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (89.03 KiB) Viewed 2368 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (71.62 KiB) Viewed 2346 times
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

curiousgeorge wrote:Joe,
Here are a couple of pics of the table I built. It started out to be a chest of drawers, but I decided that I needed a router table more. :D

Very nice router station, George. Very professional looking. Norm doesn't have have anything over on you at all.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

curiousgeorge wrote:Joe,
That looks good. What did you use for the top, it looks shiny? Where did you get the on/off switch?
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless