My reconditioned 10ER and quil bearing problems

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cornbread
Bronze Member

My reconditioned 10ER and quil bearing problems

Post by cornbread »

Before
After

I've since built a new stand. All painted surfaces and tubes were bead blasted then powder coated. Tubes had dry film lubricant applied.

It's been several years and I decided to try to fix the wobble in the shaft. Shaft was straightened but the new bearings I ordered had the inner race slightly narrower. My 2 bearing setup is different than another thread I saw. I have no retaining rings but do have retaining collars. I'll try to post some pictures of the quill assembly I have later.

Some of you on here can get the 16x35 mm x 15 mm wide bearings cheaper than I've seen and I've read that you can purchase a new quill assembly from shopsmith. Does the Mark V quild fit the 10 ER?
------------------------
Gold Member

Post by ------------------------ »

I like the look of the dry lube on the bars! Is that a do it yourself process?
Mark
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Classy job cornbread. It looks REAL NICE!!

Welcome to the forum. The number of ER machines that have been showing up over the past few months is growing and growing. Amazing considering the age of these things. Talk about quality equipment!!

Here'smy quill assembly. Same as yours, correct?

The quills on Mark 5/V's are totally different than the ER and are not interchangeable.

Is wolfweb your website? If so, tell us a little about it.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
cornbread
Bronze Member

Post by cornbread »

mickyd that looks like 99% of mine. The only difference is my quill doesn't have a groove to accept the set screws for the puller clamp. I'm the 3rd generation owner of this machine. My granfather bought it used in the 50's or 60's.

Thewolfweb was a college site forum. Not on there too much anymore.

The dry film lube and powdercoat was done by airborne coatings. Dryfilm is very thin .0003" to .001" and is often used on nascar pistons. Only problem is that it slides too good. In the vertical drillpress I have to realy crank down to lock it in place. But I like not worrying about rust.

I ordered some new bearings (16x35mm) but they aren't as wide. The new ones are maybe 11mm wide while the old ones were 15 mm. This creates a problem because these locking collars don't contact the bearing and I'd eventually get some "slop" (in-out). I remember having some slop with the old bearing as well and it would give me problems with the table saw. It just seems like I'd want to use a ring shim or some sort of spacer to tighten the shaft play a little.
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

cornbread wrote:mickyd that looks like 99% of mine. The only difference is my quill doesn't have a groove to accept the set screws for the puller clamp. ......

I ordered some new bearings (16x35mm) but they aren't as wide. The new ones are maybe 11mm wide while the old ones were 15 mm...

Your saying no groove for the 2 gauge collor set screws to ride in??

Is your bearing source indicating that the 'correct' bearing width isn't available? I replaced mine with Fafnir 202KLL3 which are 15MM wide and readily available.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
cornbread
Bronze Member

Post by cornbread »

Here's my quill showing no circumfrential groove for the set screw. I got it all put back together last night. Shaft wobble appears to be fixed. while the ~1/32 axial play was significantly reduced when I attached the "end piece".

Some wobble still exisits in the saw blade but it could be in the arbor.