Shopsmith Dealers

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dcpatsch
Bronze Member

Shopsmith Dealers

Post by dcpatsch »

Does anyone know of a Shopsmith Dealer in the Pittsburgh area?
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

dcpatsch wrote:Does anyone know of a Shopsmith Dealer in the Pittsburgh area?
I do knot believe there are ANY ShopSmith "dealers" anywhere (except for one in Canada). To buy new, buy factory direct! To buy used, check out e-bay or Craig's list.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
dcpatsch
Bronze Member

Post by dcpatsch »

Thanks, I was needing a belt, and having trouble matching it up online. Thought maybe there was a better way to ensure the right part.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

dcpatsch wrote:Thought maybe there was a better way to ensure the right part.

The better way would be to buy it from Shopsmith then.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/partscat/mostfrequentlyorderedparts.htm
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

dcpatsch wrote:Thanks, I was needing a belt, and having trouble matching it up online. Thought maybe there was a better way to ensure the right part.
Welcome to the Forum, dcpatsch! You should be able to find what you need in the Service Parts Catalog here ... Shopsmith Ownersite

or, if you can't find it there you can call Customer Service and they can help you find what you need and place your order for you ...

Customer Service Order Questions
Please contact our Customer Service Sales Staff to check product pricing, inquire about the status of an order, or to place an order over the phone.
Times Available: Representatives are available Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST.
Numbers: Please call us at 1-800-543-7586.
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
jdramsey
Gold Member

Post by jdramsey »

I spoke with the owner of Battel's hardware in Whittier,CA. He talked about being a shopsmith dealer, but not really being one. SS changed their marketing strategy years ago. Dealers paid the same price for the machine that the public does, effectively putting the dealers out of business. So he has a lot of parts for the 500 and such, but nothing newer. His staff still does the repairs, they just don't sell much SS stuff anymore. I imagine that's pretty much the same story across the nation. You have to buy direct from SS nowadays.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jdramsey wrote:I spoke with the owner of Battel's hardware in Whittier,CA. He talked about being a shopsmith dealer, but not really being one. SS changed their marketing strategy years ago. Dealers paid the same price for the machine that the public does, effectively putting the dealers out of business. So he has a lot of parts for the 500 and such, but nothing newer. His staff still does the repairs, they just don't sell much SS stuff anymore. I imagine that's pretty much the same story across the nation. You have to buy direct from SS nowadays.
Could be the reason the 'Canadian' "dealer' is soo high priced!!! And exchange 'rates'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

JPG40504 wrote:Could be the reason the 'Canadian' "dealer' is soo high priced!!! And exchange 'rates'.
The dealer's have to make something off of it. You would think Shopsmith would have given them a break, so they could sell them at the same price.:( :(
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I sure miss the factory store... :(
It was two hours from here (Central Indiana) to Dayton but I am in Richmond IN fairly regularly and that is half way there. We also have good friends at Bellefontaine OH and a combined trip was easy. I was in there fairly regularly and loved looking and talking with both the guys there and a few customers. I do not believe that I was ever there as a lone customer for very long before someone else came in. I really hope as Shopsmith gets fully reorganized that it works to have it open again. It was common for customers to carry small completed projects in to show the very friendly counter guys. It was one of those places where you always felt welcomed.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill