My ShopSmith ER10 Purchase - Restoration Project

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mickyd
Platinum Member

My ShopSmith ER10 Purchase - Restoration Project

Post by mickyd »

Found a Craigslist ad for a ShopSmith ER10 that I just couldn't resist. $30 took her away. This will be my second ShopSmith restoration project that I'll start once I complete my Greenie, which should be done this week.

The ER10 hasn't seen a lot of TLC over the past couple years. She's lived outside, uncovered. Fortunately, not much rain here in San Diego but as you can see in the pics below, if it's made of steel, it's heavily rusted. I see the electrolysis bath discussed on the first couple pages of my Greenie restoration thread being fired up real soon.

[ATTACH]4004[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4005[/ATTACH]

Based on the serial number SN 72883 and a post I found by Nick that talked about the history of the ER10, my best guess estimate for year of manufacture is around 1952-53. I haven't researched the year any further at this point. Maybe the ShopSmith ER10 User Group at the YAHOO GROUPS site has more specific info. I joined the group yesterday but am still awaiting my membership approval by the group owner before I can access.

The ER came with these accessories. I think I have everything but don't know for sure. There was no bandsaw but that probably wasn't a standard accessory. Oddly, there is a broken 1/2 donut piece in the second picture that I don't know where it came from. It looks like all the pieces both on and off the machine are complete. If anyone knows what it goes to, let me know.

[ATTACH]4006[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4007[/ATTACH]

The plate on the motor says that it's only 1/2 HP. From what I've been reading in this forum regarding ripping issues causing the Mark 5's with the 3/4 HP motor to bog down, I guess I shouldn't expect too much from this machine in that area.

[ATTACH]4008[/ATTACH]

I'll keep you guys posted on my progress on this thing. If all goes well, I should have it looking close to this onewhen I get done (minus the chrome).
Attachments
Img_5338mod.jpg
Img_5338mod.jpg (93.01 KiB) Viewed 12023 times
Img_5346mod.jpg
Img_5346mod.jpg (61.97 KiB) Viewed 11926 times
Img_5362mod.jpg
Img_5362mod.jpg (110.7 KiB) Viewed 11913 times
Img_5368mod.jpg
Img_5368mod.jpg (161.01 KiB) Viewed 11915 times
Img_5358mod.jpg
Img_5358mod.jpg (102.07 KiB) Viewed 11921 times
Mike
Sunny San Diego
horologist
Gold Member

Post by horologist »

Mike,
That's quite a project! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Troy
The best equipped laundry room in the neighborhood...
dlbristol
Platinum Member

Post by dlbristol »

This 10ER is lucky to have found you! I am amazed at what you guys can do with these old machines!:)
Saw dust heals many wounds. RLTW
Dave
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Congrats on the great deal, Mike! The 10ER is a great machine. I'm currently restoring my second one. I'm not an expert by any means, but I have learned a lot about them. If you have any specific questions or if I can help you in any way, feel free to shoot me a PM. Or just ask publicly and I'll be happy to off any help and advice I can.

One thing I've found while restoring my second Shopsmith is that the best tool for the job is another Shopsmith! lol

You've got the Speed Changer attachment which itself can go for $100+ on eBay, so you really got a sweet deal!

The motor is not the original motor. The original motor was a special "AO Smith", but was still a 1/2 HP motor. I say "special" because the capacitor on the motor was moved to the side so it wouldn't hit the bench. I think buying the motor was optional and buyers could supply their own motor, so maybe that was the case with this unit.

Obviously it's not the original color either! But it looks like more care was taken with the paint job on yours than on either of my two. Both of mine - although coming from completely different places - were covered with green paint. Almost everything except the tubes on both of mine had been painted. It doesn't look like you have paint anywhere on yours that it shouldn't be.

There wasn't a bandsaw made for the 10ER, but with an additional "Power Mount Adapter Kit" you can connect the Mark V's bandsaw and other SPTs to the 10ER.

I have no idea what the broken donut piece is either.

Congrats again! I hope you have fun with it. And at only $35, I'm jealous! lol
iclark
Platinum Member

Post by iclark »

heathicus wrote:I have no idea what the broken donut piece is either.
looks like a wonderful deal.

that broken donut piece looks like its ID might match the tube size. is your cross bar tie (the piece that holds the 2 tubes on the end opposite the pivot) perhaps missing a chunk?

it looks like your rip fence is clamped onto the extension table.

the table is not on the jigsaw I might guess that the flat plate in the bottom picture might be that table.

trying to find the online table of serial numbers, I found, to my surprise, that SS offers:
877082 10ER Information Packet $9.99
including the ER10 owners manual and parts list

never did find the serial number table.

Ivan
Mark V (84) w/ jigsaw, belt sander, strip sander
ER10 awaiting restoration
mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

Wow!!!!

And with the speed changer as well. Good job. I have been watching Craigs List for one of these myself. I would like to have one to restore as well.Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress.

Thanks
Mark
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

iclark wrote:the table is not on the jigsaw I might guess that the flat plate in the bottom picture might be that table.

My 10-ER does not have the jigsaw but if I recall correctly from the 19-ER users group it used the tablesaw table and the blade slot insert with the keyhole slot shown in the next to last picture rather than its own table?
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I intended to mention that I am going to change the motor on my 10-ER from the original to a totally enclosed "air over motor" dust-proof 1 HP motor I have on hand. Open frame motors like the one in the picture are a problem waiting to happen in a woodshop environment.
The 1 HP motor retired from duty on a grain auger when I retired from grain farming. As is often the case the newer 1 HP motor is fairly similar in case size and in weight to the original 1/2 HP motor. I have a couple of very old but good 2 HP motors that have a heavy ring in the top and the rings are needed. One of them is about 200 pounds. :rolleyes:
Sadly those real old heavy ones are worth more as scrap than as motors.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

heathicus wrote:Congrats on the great deal, Mike! The 10ER is a great machine. I'm currently restoring my second one. I'm not an expert by any means, but I have learned a lot about them. If you have any specific questions or if I can help you in any way, feel free to shoot me a PM. Or just ask publicly and I'll be happy to off any help and advice I can.

There wasn't a bandsaw made for the 10ER, but with an additional "Power Mount Adapter Kit" you can connect the Mark V's bandsaw and other SPTs to the 10ER. lol

Thanks for offering your brain power heathicus. I am sure at some point that I will have some good questions to bounce off of you.

You mention a "Power Mount Adapter Kit". ebay item or ShopSmith? What exactly is it? Also, here my acronym ignorance....what's SPTs stand for :o
Mike
Sunny San Diego
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

iclark wrote:that broken donut piece looks like its ID might match the tube size. is your cross bar tie (the piece that holds the 2 tubes on the end opposite the pivot) perhaps missing a chunk?

it looks like your rip fence is clamped onto the extension table.

the table is not on the jigsaw I might guess that the flat plate in the bottom picture might be that table.

trying to find the online table of serial numbers, I found, to my surprise, that SS offers:
877082 10ER Information Packet $9.99
including the ER10 owners manual and parts list

never did find the serial number table.

Ivan

After reading your post re: the broken donut, I went to the shop to see if it fit the tubes but it doesn't. I measured it's id and it's 1-1/2". Tubes are 1-3/4". Maybe the previous owner repainted all his stuff with that orange and it comes from some other machine???

The rip fence IS on the extension table.

The jigsaw uses the table saw table. All you do is switch out the center plate with the one shown in the 2nd to the last photo in post #1

Found some good sites that have lots of ER10 documents on-line:

SSUG.org ShopSmith User Group
Old Woodworking Machines

Still hoping to locate a SN table.
Mike
Sunny San Diego