4 spur center

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ralphtaff
Gold Member

4 spur center

Post by ralphtaff »

I have a problem with the 4 spur center staying on in the wood.it keeps spinning on the wood. this happens on all the wood i try. i hade a school wood shop teacher look at my center and he said it was ok, i made sure it was on real good. could i have that much wobble in the shaft of the markv that it is causing this?
greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

Maybe the wood you're using is so hard that the spurs can't dig in deep enough? Rick Davis showed us that for very hard woods, you might need to saw two perpendicular slots in the end of the blank to get the spurs deep enough.

Gary
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Did you have a pilot hole for the point?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

greitz wrote:Maybe the wood you're using is so hard that the spurs can't dig in deep enough? Rick Davis showed us that for very hard woods, you might need to saw two perpendicular slots in the end of the blank to get the spurs deep enough.

Gary
OR not 'driving' it in far enough. Cross sawing WILL help. Drilling a (small)pilot for the point MIGHT help. Are you putting enough pressure from the quill?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ralphtaff
Gold Member

Post by ralphtaff »

Who knows? i thought so but maybe not. i have done all of the above. a teacher at the school i work at has a shop smith and he does not have any trouble with his on the same type of wood. we both get it from the junk pile at the school. he is going to let me use his spur center and see if maybe i need a new one. i just did not want to buy a new one then still have the same problem. will let you all know what i find out.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Do the points of both centers line up?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

ralphtaff wrote:I have a problem with the 4 spur center staying on in the wood.it keeps spinning on the wood. this happens on all the wood i try. i hade a school wood shop teacher look at my center and he said it was ok, i made sure it was on real good. could i have that much wobble in the shaft of the markv that it is causing this?
Sorry Ralph, I haven't had this problem whenever I follow Shopsmith's written instructions. (I have occasionally tried to get away from these steps, but the center slips, as you describe and I have to go back to the basics.)

They say to first drill a 1/8" hole in the center of each end of the blank. The hole should be 1/4" deep. Second saw perpendicular slots that cross at the pilot hole. I will use either the bandsaw or a Japanese pull saw to make these slots. These slots should be about 1/8" deep and wide enough to accept the 4 spurs.

These instructions cannot be found in PTWFE, but in the Shopsmith Instruction Manual. (in the White plastic notebook)

I turn hardwoods, but if turning pine, spruce or Western red cedar, I would try to get by without the slots, but would drill the holes.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
ralphtaff
Gold Member

Post by ralphtaff »

after reading all the posts at several different forums imayby my problem is the speed. To make a long story short, i have one speed to change speed i have to change pullys so with a 2 inch pully at the motor and a 4 inch pully at the shaft i get about 862 rpm that does good on the ring master and out of round bowls about 8 to 10 inch. so for a spindle i am probably to slow? what say you all.i can reverse the pullya and get 3450 rpm, wouyld that be better? or to fast?i have 1.75 pully,2inch,2.5inch,4inch and 6inchpully.
foxtrapper
Gold Member

Post by foxtrapper »

You can cut spinning slow. But, slow or fast, you cannot cut too aggressively. I suspect you're digging in too aggressively with your tool, causing the spur to slip and skid.
woodburner
Gold Member

Post by woodburner »

Are you turning on a SS MarK V? By your comments in previous posts about belt changing I will guess you are not.

Without knowing the actual type of lathe you are using, it makes it hard to help you with the right answers.

For me, except for hard woods, I use a rawhide mallet to drive the spur into the wood. No drilling holes and such, its not needed unless your wood is very hard. You also want to make sure you have enough tension on your wood between the headstock and tailstock. But make sure you are not putting too much tension on the piece. This will cause the spur center to strip out and cause the problems you are having.

I doubt going to slow is causing your problems, unless you are having lot of catches with your chisels. Starting your lathe to fast with the spindle mounted can cause the spur drive to strip through the slots due to all the torque being released all at once, and cause the piece to fly off the lathe. This is a dangerous practice and should not be done. Starting at a slow speed and working your way up is the correct and safe way so you can check for vibration, etc.

Also, you didn't mention if you are having a lot of catches with your chisels. This also will cause your piece to come loose from the spur drive. Make sure your chisels are sharp. Dull chisels can cause a lot of problems and are more dangerous to use from a safety standpoint. If your chisels are sharp and you are still getting a lot of catches and dig ends, it might be time to work on your woodturning techniqes themselves.

Your problem just might be not knowing how to use your chisels properly. Best advice I can give you for that is you should consider taking some woodturning classes. You should contact a local woodturning club in your area. They usually have a member or two who enjoy teaching beginners the basics and passing on there knowlege.

To find out if there is a woodturning club in your area, check out the AAW (American Association of Woodturners) website. They have listings of all the clubs in the states and overseas with contact information.

Hope this info helps and have fun turning.
Sawdust & Shavings,
Woodburner:o