bandsaw blade length???

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

blindman
Bronze Member

bandsaw blade length???

Post by blindman »

Anyone know what blade size is used on the bandsaw. I'm planning on buying a non shopsmith blade and can't find a size in my manual. But then, I am blind
Thanks
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

72".

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.":D
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

blindman wrote:Anyone know what blade size is used on the bandsaw. I'm planning on buying a non shopsmith blade and can't find a size in my manual. But then, I am blind
Thanks
No, you are not blind. I don't believe I have seen this number printed in any Shopsmith document or catalog.

You need a 72" blade if you have the 11" Shopsmith Bandsaw.

Here is one reference that confirmes the size for a Shopsmith bandsaw.

I do wonder why you are specifically lookig for a non-Shopsmith blade.

http://www.allbandsawblades.com/olson_hradBack.htm
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
blindman
Bronze Member

Post by blindman »

Thought I would try a Woodslicer blade from Highland woodworking. I have a lot of resawing to do and have not been overly pleased with old blade 1/2 " from olson. Its getting aged
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Don't know about that manufacturer, but for re-sawing, get a skip toothed blade.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Don't have the shopsmith bandsaw but I do have this blade. Make sure you get the additional information on how to tension it from Highland and I hope it works with the shopsmith band saw.

This is a GREAT blade, best I've ever had since I've had my bandsaw (early 1970's).

Ed

blindman wrote:Thought I would try a Woodslicer blade from Highland woodworking. I have a lot of resawing to do and have not been overly pleased with old blade 1/2 " from olson. Its getting aged
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

reible wrote:Hi,

Don't have the shopsmith bandsaw but I do have this blade. Make sure you get the additional information on how to tension it from Highland and I hope it works with the shopsmith band saw.

This is a GREAT blade, best I've ever had since I've had my bandsaw (early 1970's).

Ed
Ed,

I bought one of these blades for my Shopsmith bandsaw and it seems to work fine with the normal tension settings. Highland did not provide any specific instructions as to tensioning it differently. I went to the Highland store as I live relatively close (50 miles) and talked with the staff at length about this blade and other woodworking topics.

What information did you receive regarding tensioning the blade?
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/library/resaw.pdf

Ed

tdubnik wrote:Ed,

I bought one of these blades for my Shopsmith bandsaw and it seems to work fine with the normal tension settings. Highland did not provide any specific instructions as to tensioning it differently. I went to the Highland store as I live relatively close (50 miles) and talked with the staff at length about this blade and other woodworking topics.

What information did you receive regarding tensioning the blade?
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dlbristol
Platinum Member

Band saw data

Post by dlbristol »

I found the length listed on page 7 of my "11 in bandsaw" reference manual (555943) Copyright 2003. Just happened to be getting ready to do some resawing on a bed project and saw the data. Otherwise I probably would never have remembered it!!!
I have started to make a habbit of reading the manuals before I start using one of the attachments that I don't use often, like the band saw and planer. Seems to be a good idea.
Saw dust heals many wounds. RLTW
Dave
dicklacara
Bronze Member

Re: bandsaw blade length???

Post by dicklacara »

Actually you can use blades 72" plus or minus 1/2" -- per note at bottom right of page 17 of the Shopsmith Bandsaw Manual.