10ER Speed Changer Retaining Ring Source

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

nv10er
Gold Member

10ER Speed Changer Retaining Ring Source

Post by nv10er »

***UPDATE: 05/22/2024***
I want to thank everyone who assisted me with identifying the correct retaining ring for the 10ER Speed Changer. I obtained a replacement this morning and wanted to pass down all my findings in the event someone else runs into this issue in the future.

A 2-1/4" External Snap / Retaining Ring has the perfect free diameter (hair over 2") and thickness (.078") for the speed changer. Regardless of the shaft measuring 2-1/8", the 2-1/4" ring matches the original ring's free diameter and amount of play in the groove.

Hello all,

After many years of informally looking and waiting, I finally found a 10er speed changer for my shopsmith.

Anyways, after initial assessment, the only issue I have found is that the retaining ring (see pic) has both ears broken off and is somewhat out of round. Does anyone know the original size of these rings and if they can be purchased generically? If it is a proprietary size by Magna, does anyone know of an alternate method to use in place of this part.

I appreciate any information provided.
Attachments
ss_sc_ret_ring.jpg
ss_sc_ret_ring.jpg (135.68 KiB) Viewed 398 times
Last edited by nv10er on Thu May 23, 2024 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Re: 10ER Speed Changer Retaining Ring Source

Post by SteveMaryland »

Have a look at the attached PDF. Rotor Clip brand retaining ring selection. Match up your ring dimensionally with a ring in the catalog.

Any bearing retailer should sell these, or McMaster might also sell them.
Attachments
ROTOR CLIP SH SHAFT RETAINER RING.pdf
(837.49 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Vis-a-vis Steve's PDF file, the only important dimensions are the ring thickness and the free (inside) diameter. The other dimensions are inconsequential for use on the speed changer.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
nv10er
Gold Member

Post by nv10er »

Thank you both for the response. In measuring free diameter of my existing, damaged ring, I get roughly 2.0625 (2-1/16”). The shaft groove measures 2” strong.

Can the folks with speed changers tell me if the ring on their changers are tight on the shaft groove, or can they be spun by hand?
Attachments
IMG_0373.jpeg
IMG_0373.jpeg (599.38 KiB) Viewed 342 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Retaining Ring has to seat into the groove, but I can rotate it with a tool pushing it. The remaining ring you have should work until you can replace it if it still seats into the groove.

As you continue to restore your Speed Changer there are a couple things to pay attention to. The three locking nuts used on the Screw Assembly (113 310) may need replacing if the insert is worn. Also, the springs should not be compressed when reinstalling the end locking nut. Check for wear on the brass bushings in the Floating Pulley Assembly (113 200). A Speed Changer I restored had the shoulder on one bushing completely worn off.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
nv10er
Gold Member

Post by nv10er »

Yes, I will be assessing all those parts as I clean it up. Thank you for the great info.

My remaining retention ring looks better in the pic than it actually is, it fits very loose in the groove and comes out easily by hand.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Standard external snap rings, which this appears to be, are sized based on shaft diameter. Unless you have a fit problem or a non-standard groove, shaft diameter is the only thing you have to measure. So for example a 5/8" snap ring aka SH-62, is referred to as a 5/8' snap ring even though no dimension measures 5/8". Many woodworkers may not have the tools to measure the groove dimensions or doing so may require more disassembly than is necessary.

- David
jpdalton
Gold Member

Post by jpdalton »

nv10er wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:50 pm the only issue I have found is that the retaining ring (see pic) has both ears broken off and is somewhat out of round.
Believe it or not, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with your retaining ring… I thought the same of one I was restoring. But when I got the “broken” ring off and compared it to a ”good” ring with ears, I realized its width didn’t vary like the “good” ring as you get closer to the ears. So I concluded it was a different ring design, but completely intact. Looks just like yours…
John Dalton
Massachusetts
1948 10E, S/N 5052 (restored)
1950 10ER, S/N 26473 (restored)
1952 10ER, S/N 51721 (restored as dedicated drill press)
1954 Mark 5, S/N 263334 (functionally restored)
1954 Mark 5, S/N 263705 (restored/PowerPro)
c1959 Mark 2, S/N 81940 (undergoing restoration)
nv10er
Gold Member

Post by nv10er »

jpdalton wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:36 pm
nv10er wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:50 pm the only issue I have found is that the retaining ring (see pic) has both ears broken off and is somewhat out of round.
Believe it or not, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with your retaining ring… I thought the same of one I was restoring. But when I got the “broken” ring off and compared it to a ”good” ring with ears, I realized its width didn’t vary like the “good” ring as you get closer to the ears. So I concluded it was a different ring design, but completely intact. Looks just like yours…
I have bent it a little more back into shape in the event I might need to use it, but I did find a local company that has a viable replacement that I’ll be looking at tomorrow. I will post back with my findings. Thanks!
nv10er
Gold Member

Post by nv10er »

Correct ring found!

A 2-1/4" External Snap / Retaining Ring has the perfect free diameter (hair over 2") and thickness (.078") for the speed changer. Regardless of the shaft measuring 2-1/8", the 2-1/4" ring matches the original ring's free diameter and amount of play in the groove.