Denver Tryout? Universal Tool Rest for Lathe

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

hudsonmiller
Gold Member

Denver Tryout? Universal Tool Rest for Lathe

Post by hudsonmiller »

Hello All-

I'm on the fence over whether or not to purchase the universal tool rest and was wondering if anyone in Denver Metro has one and would be willing to queue up an opportunity for me to try it out.

I've turned a couple of projects and I find there to be a lot of vibration in my turnings and the standard tool rest just seems fidgety and weak. Before sinking in any more money into Shopsmith add on's I'd really like to give one a try.

Please to PM me if you are in the Denver metro area and would be open to letting me give it a try out.

Thanks,
Hudson
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Denver Tryout? Universal Tool Rest for Lathe

Post by chapmanruss »

Hudson,

I don't know if there has been anyone in Denver that has sent you a PM yet but, in the meantime, you could try adding some extra weight to your Shopsmith to see if the 35 pounds of weight of the Universal Lathe Tool Rest would benefit you in reducing the vibration problem you are having. I can tell you that the reach and stability of the arm and tool rest is much better with the Universal Lathe Tool Rest.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
hudsonmiller
Gold Member

Re: Denver Tryout? Universal Tool Rest for Lathe

Post by hudsonmiller »

chapmanruss wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:20 pm Hudson,

I don't know if there has been anyone in Denver that has sent you a PM yet but, in the meantime, you could try adding some extra weight to your Shopsmith to see if the 35 pounds of weight of the Universal Lathe Tool Rest would benefit you in reducing the vibration problem you are having. I can tell you that the reach and stability of the arm and tool rest is much better with the Universal Lathe Tool Rest.
Thanks, will give it a try.