feather boards from the past

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

iclark wrote:Ed,

thanks for the posts. guessing the purpose of that last jig took me a while (yeah, I can be real slow sometimes) until it finally sunk in that you had mounted it to a floating or extension table. nice!

I was just thinking yesterday that several of the things that I wanted to try would benefit from a T-track in the extension tables. this is a nice solution to that lack.

Ivan

Just think how nice it would be to have a t-track in or on that extension table.

Notice the dual miter bars on the Shopsmith Sliding Crosscut Table.
Attachments
Installation Dry Fit 2.JPG
Installation Dry Fit 2.JPG (152.34 KiB) Viewed 2967 times
Crosscut Capacity Expanded.JPG
Crosscut Capacity Expanded.JPG (164 KiB) Viewed 2967 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
iclark
Platinum Member

Post by iclark »

dusty wrote:Just think how nice it would be to have a t-track in or on that extension table.

Notice the dual miter bars on the Shopsmith Sliding Crosscut Table.
my wife is getting really tired of hearing me say "how did he do that?":D

it looks like you cantilevered a T-track that was mounted somehow between an extension table and a floating table. I don't see how you mounted it or how you stabilized the extended track so that it doesn't twist or buckle.

please share more. you definitely have my attention.

Ivan
Mark V (84) w/ jigsaw, belt sander, strip sander
ER10 awaiting restoration
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

iclark wrote:my wife is getting really tired of hearing me say "how did he do that?":D

it looks like you cantilevered a T-track that was mounted somehow between an extension table and a floating table. I don't see how you mounted it or how you stabilized the extended track so that it doesn't twist or buckle.

please share more. you definitely have my attention.

Ivan
I have a couple pics that may answer your question. If not, re-post your question and I'll try again.

Basically, I mounted the t-track to a piece of aluminum angle and the mounted the aluminum angle to the side of an extension table. The aluminum angle and the table were drilled to match. The two are secured together using bolts and nuts.
Attachments
P9280003.JPG
P9280003.JPG (141.42 KiB) Viewed 2968 times
P9280002.JPG
P9280002.JPG (149.1 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
P9280004.JPG
P9280004.JPG (158.01 KiB) Viewed 2947 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
iclark
Platinum Member

Post by iclark »

dusty wrote:I have a couple pics that may answer your question. If not, re-post your question and I'll try again.
thank you. so obvious once you show me. very nice.
I'll definitely remember this one. :D

Ivan
Mark V (84) w/ jigsaw, belt sander, strip sander
ER10 awaiting restoration
dlbristol
Platinum Member

Could the feather board idea

Post by dlbristol »

in the second set of photos Be a solution to some of the issues about kick back and the molder head that we had in the last chapter of PTWFE? I sometimes see these things , think they are a good idea and later find out maybe it isn't a good idea. With a feather board on the fence and one of these, it seems to be pretty well clamped down. The third set of photos would seem to allow wider stock and more molder cuts toward the center of the stock. Am I missing anything that might get me in trouble?
Saw dust heals many wounds. RLTW
Dave
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I especially liked that last one. Seeing the clamps reminds me of another pet peeve of mine. I have several old table saws, a new one and of course my Shopsmiths. None of them are "clamp friendly". :confused:
When are designers going to realize that we use a lot of clamps on jigs. I suppose that some do but none that I have used. It seems that I am always jockeying a clamp around trying to clamp on a narrow table edge to hold some jig. Right where I want to put the clamp there is usually a lump or depression. I am thinking about drilling and tapping a series of holes in the cast iron table of my Rigid TS360. I'll do a lot of thinking about locations before I drill any.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Guess I missed this post, so sorry for this being so late but here is another clamping post I did some time back:
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=2437

Might not be the solution you were looking for but it might spur some more ideas.

Ed

robinson46176 wrote:I especially liked that last one. Seeing the clamps reminds me of another pet peeve of mine. I have several old table saws, a new one and of course my Shopsmiths. None of them are "clamp friendly". :confused:
When are designers going to realize that we use a lot of clamps on jigs. I suppose that some do but none that I have used. It seems that I am always jockeying a clamp around trying to clamp on a narrow table edge to hold some jig. Right where I want to put the clamp there is usually a lump or depression. I am thinking about drilling and tapping a series of holes in the cast iron table of my Rigid TS360. I'll do a lot of thinking about locations before I drill any.
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]