Shopsmith DVDs

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Shopsmith DVDs

Post by ryanbp01 »

I received the Shopsmith DVDs last Friday which I ordered after receiving information as an e-mail special. The Mark V Essentials 2 volume set, the Maintenance 2 volume set, and Critical Alignment dvds were what I had purchased. The video quality is excellent and if you have a personal dvd player, you can easily follow the procedures step by step.

I thought about posting this in the Community section, but I look at these dvds as important as any other tool you have in the shop. These are a "must have" if you own a Shopsmith!!

BPR
ksdaddio
Gold Member

DVD's

Post by ksdaddio »

Thanks for the report. I have been trying to decide whether it would be worth the money, and you may have just made up my mind.
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

I now have the "MKV Essentials" 1&2, and the "Maintaining and Repairing" 1&2. There is a lot of very informative stuff here and I learned a lot.

In my opinion, every serious Shopsmith woodworker should have this reference material.
easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

I just received the Critical Alignments DVD and though it is excellent and well worth the money, it is only for the Model 510/520. Model 500 owners might want to get the Rick Davis DVD - he covers the alignment procedures for the Model 500 table. Alec
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

easterngray wrote:I just received the Critical Alignments DVD and though it is excellent and well worth the money, it is only for the Model 510/520. Model 500 owners might want to get the Rick Davis DVD - he covers the alignment procedures for the Model 500 table. Alec

Nick said that IF there were any differences in a procedure, between the different models. He'd cover them?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
dcottrill
Gold Member

Post by dcottrill »

I order them as well. Excellent resource and a must have for serious SS owners. Excellent work Nick and SS, thank you for the resource.
easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

Beeg - Nick did not cover the 500 alignment procedures. I think SS should point this out on the promotional material for this item.
also - the table alignment procedures for the 510/520 that Nick covers are done with the dial gauge. Alec
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

"Nick did not cover the 500 alignment procedures...also - the table alignment procedures for the 510/520 that Nick covers are done with the dial gauge."

Just to clear things up: The table alignment procedures -- and the other alignment procedures -- that I demonstrate in the video will work for all Shopsmith Mark V models. And yes, I use the dial gauge but I also explain there are other effective methods. In the PDF file that is included on the DVD, "Mark V Alignment Checklist," steps 41 though 47 explain and illustrate how to perform the table alignment procedure using the 5/32" allen wrench as a feeler gauge. The illustrations show a Mark V Model 500, but like the dial gauge in the video, the feeler gauge method will work with any model.

Those of you who buys these DVDs, I encourage you to explore the PDF/text files as well as the videos. While video is a marvelous tool for demonstrating techniques, it is often surprisingly incomplete. Those of you who have read a book and then go to the movie know exactly what I'm talking about -- you have to cut out a lot of valuable information to get the video to fit in the time alloted. This is why I included the PDF files -- to make sure that the information on the DVD was reasonably complete. The videos will answer your most common questions. The PDF files will answer a great many more.

By the way, thank you guys for your kind words.

With all good wishes,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

NICK! Thanks for lurking! Come out into the light more often if you 'are allowed' Image

BTW did you see post 45 on the hands online dvd thread?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
paul heller
Gold Member

Post by paul heller »

I purchased Essentials Vol 1&2 and the Rick Davis DVD. Even though Nick said there was not much to be learned for experienced users, I actually enjoyed watching his videos and did learn a couple of things. Plus, I wanted to maintenance procedures.

Rick Davis' video was a real pleasant surprise! In it, he hints at more to come. Does anyone know if there will be more from Rick Davis?

Paul