Total Shop

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

alfred_j
Silver Member

Total Shop

Post by alfred_j »

Can anyone tell me about a woodworking machine called Total Shop. It looks identical to the Shopsmith.

Thanks!
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

cincinnati wrote:Anyone remember the Total Shop? I purchased my Shopsmith 510 at a show in 1989 for $1,299.00. Total Shop was right behind the Shopsmith display for around $900. A friend purchased that because it was cheaper. His Total Shop broke a long time ago and it is junk because no parts are available.
Sure glad I got the Shopsmith.
I found that in a thread called 10-in-1.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... ht=10-in-1
Last edited by beeg on Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
alfred_j
Silver Member

I recently bought a Total Shop for $150

Post by alfred_j »

Thank's Bob.

I can't understand how a product could be copied and sold under a different name. I mean they really look identical.

I recently bought a Total Shop for $150. It came with the following accessories; a Jointer, Jigsaw, Bandsaw and Belt sander. I only recently began using it, and it seems function well. The previous owner stated that Shopsmith parts are interchangeable with the Total Shop.

I'm curious to find out about the history of the Total Shop company. For example who founded the company and when, and when did they close up shop. And how they could get away with copying the Shopsmith.

Al
alfred_j
Silver Member

thread called 10-in-1

Post by alfred_j »

I read the post by "Nick" in the 10-in-1 thread. That gives me a little insight in to how Total Shop may have operated.

Thanks!

Al
billmayo
Platinum Member

Total Shop

Post by billmayo »

[quote="alfred_j"]Thank's Bob.

I can't understand how a product could be copied and sold under a different name. I mean they really look identical.

I recently bought a Total Shop for $150. It came with the following accessories]

Yes, I find the Shopsmith SPTs will work on a Total Shop. I picked up a pair of Total Shops for $50 total and disassemblied the headstocks. All internal measurements and way and bench tubes are a different size than the Shopsmith. I found that I could not use any Total Shop parts, bearings, shafts, pullys, sheaves, belts or quill on a Shopsmith or any Shopsmith parts in a Total Shop. The Total Shop headstock, motor and motor pan is 2" longer than the Shopsmith. The main and extension table tops are cast iron and very heavy. I have not tried to see if I can modify the Total Shop table tops to fit the Shopsmith. Another fun thing to do in the future. The Total Shop motor is a 1 1/2 HP 110/220 VAC that draws 16.8/8.4 amps while operating on a 56 frame. I brought them for the motors as these motors are excellant for powering other tools such as table saws. I did cut up and modified a Total Shop motor pan and belt housing to fit the Shopsmith casing so I could use the 220 VAC motor. It was not a pretty thing/sight when I was done.

The Total Shop looks just like a Shopsmith. It is not the 10-in-1 or Smithy SuperShop or Harbor Freight copy. These 10-in-1s were made for wood and metal work. I would only recommend buying one for the motor or the SPTs. I still have all the Total Shop parts if anyone has a need for them. I will be happy to answer any Total Shop equipment questions.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
dcottrill
Gold Member

Post by dcottrill »

Bill,

Very interesting. I remember TotalShop. Right after I purchased my shopsmith, Totalshop sent me a sales flier. At the time it looked like a good alternative; however when I looked deeper into the size of Totalshop as a company, the support, and depth of knowledge it became very clear that Shopsmith was well worth the extra investment.

Dan
recurvearcher
Gold Member

Post by recurvearcher »

I credit the Total Shop for getting me into the Shopsmith family. I had watched the Shopsmith demos for years but,always got sticker shock at the price.Then one year at the county fair ,Total Shop was two booths down. The clone must have taken them by surprise. The sales rep. said he had called Ohio and was told to undercut their price no matter what. Shopsmith offered a deal too good to be true. I bought a MKV,jointer,bandsaw and dust collector for a little over the cost of the Total Shop alone. One of those right place at the right time deals.
otee453
Gold Member

Post by otee453 »

I read somewhere how Totalshop started building their tool as an exact copy of the Mark V when the Mark V patent protection ran it's course. At some point, Totalshop copied a small item, might have been the "speed increaser", not ever realizing a separate patent existed on that individual item, AND.......

wham! In court, and they were litigated to oblivion by SS!

Don't know if it is true, but read it somewhere. Perhaps Snopes has the "rest of the story"!:D :D :p
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

otee453 wrote:I read somewhere how Totalshop started building their tool as an exact copy of the Mark V when the Mark V patent protection ran it's course. At some point, Totalshop copied a small item, might have been the "speed increaser", not ever realizing a separate patent existed on that individual item, AND.......

wham! In court, and they were litigated to oblivion by SS!

Don't know if it is true, but read it somewhere. Perhaps Snopes has the "rest of the story"!:D :D :p
It was the biscuit jointer. Total shop had to hand over all of there inventory to Shopsmith. I have one I purchased from Shopsmith for around $60. You can tell the difference as it will have made in Dayton, Ohio crossed out with a silver sticker on the Shopsmith label.
alfred_j
Silver Member

Biscuit Jointer

Post by alfred_j »

cincinnati wrote:It was the biscuit jointer. Total shop had to hand over all of there inventory to Shopsmith. I have one I purchased from Shopsmith for around $60. You can tell the difference as it will have made in Dayton, Ohio crossed out with a silver sticker on the Shopsmith label.
This is all very interesting. Thanks to everyone. :)

Does Shopsmith still offer a biscuit jointer and can it be used with my Total Shop?