Shopsmith 11 Inch Bandsaw refurbish

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dgale
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith 11 Inch Bandsaw refurbish

Post by dgale »

Just curious if folks who have installed new SS rubber tires used the glue or not? I was watching Jacob Anderson's video about bandsaw maintenance, and he said he felt the glue was unnecessary and that he always just installs the new tires on cleaned up wheels. I just put my new (rubber) tires on and they do stretch tight and it's hard to see them slipping. I can easily add the glue if deemed necessary but would make future replacement easier if I don't. Just thought I'd check on other folks' experience.
soonerNC
Bronze Member

Post by soonerNC »

Thanks very much dgale and Russ for the info. I'll check back in if I have any issues.

I did a thorough cleaning of the bandsaw this weekend. I found a nice video on youtube where someone did a complete disassembly and cleaned it up. I will get the bearing upgrade from SS.

What do you all think of the guide rollers from Carter?
http://www.carterproducts.com/band-saw- ... th-bandsaw
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I have had the Carter roller guides on my band saw since Carter first introduced them many years ago. They work perfectly and I have never had any problems with them.

Others here will have a different opinion. However, I will still recommend them and would buy them again.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
soonerNC
Bronze Member

Post by soonerNC »

Thanks John! I've seen the MyGrowthRings video about them. They seem better than the metal ones that I have.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

soonerNC,

I have not used the Carter Roller Guides so I will defer to John on that recommendation. I do use the Cool Blocks Blade Guides instead of the original metal ones.

dgale,

I glue the rubber tires on. Even though they seem to fit "tight" when installing them I believe they could come off once they heat up during use. This has even been a problem reported by some users of having the Urethane Bandsaw Tires which do not use glue.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I'm using Carter roller guides. They don't work with 1/8" blades as they come, but turns out they can be modified to use them. Much better than Cool Blocks IMO.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER