POSSIBLE HACK

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

db5
Platinum Member

POSSIBLE HACK

Post by db5 »

I just got a suspicious email from JPG; he is on a short trip, nephews BD today, wants help getting a $300 Play Station Gift card. The immediate reply I got to my response was suspicious. It may be legitimate but I asked for "proof of life" - only something he would know. No reply yet. Beware if you get emails from anyone on this site asking for gift cards.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: POSSIBLE HACK

Post by jsburger »

Social engineering and it seems like you almost fell for it. Do you know he is on a short trip??? Do you really think he would ask you for a gift card??? Scammers are SOMETIMES very creative. Not sure why you would be the only one to get this. Maybe a wannabe scammer.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jsburger wrote:Social engineering and it seems like you almost fell for it. Do you know he is on a short trip??? Do you really think he would ask you for a gift card??? Scammers are SOMETIMES very creative. Not sure why you would be the only one to get this. Maybe a wannabe scammer.
He is not the only one. I received one that was almost verbatim. I contacted JPG to confirm.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
eartigas
Gold Member

Post by eartigas »

It's a typical scam.

Probably "that jpg" is in Nigeria.