Overhead Router

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

brock14u
Bronze Member

Overhead Router

Post by brock14u »

Mark V 520 - If I want to rout the edges of boards in the overhead router setup, should I buy the shaper split-fence to use as a guide? For example, if I want to use tongue and groove router bits, it seems safer to me to have the split adjustable fence rather than just using the guide pins that come with the table insert piece. I have found several videos on Youtube using the overhead router for dados or dovetails but I can't find anything demonstrating edge routing in the overhead setup. Is there any reason why the shaper adjustable split-fence wouldn't work with the overhead setup?
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: Overhead Router

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

The shaper fence will work fine for overhead routing. If you’re milling the entire edge off of your workpiece, that would be the way to go, as the two fence halves are independently adjustable.

If you’re starting with a straight edge on your workpiece, you’re not milling it all away, and you can make the cut in one pass, you could use a bearing-piloted router bit without a fence.

You can also easily make an auxiliary routing face for your rip fence. Just attach a flat board to the side of it, and bore a vertical hole in it large enough to fit your router bit. The hole should break through the side opposite the rip fence. Then adjust your fence to control how far the bit protrudes beyond the auxiliary face.

Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone gives more detail in the routing section. The shaping section covers the use of the shaper fence.

https://www.shopsmith.com/academy/routing/index.htm
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Spam again!

Link deleted in my quote.
Last edited by jsburger on Wed May 15, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

Don't click on that wuxiaworld link!