Shopsmith 10ER dedicated drill press project

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reubenjames
Gold Member

Shopsmith 10ER dedicated drill press project

Post by reubenjames »

Well, you all finally rubbed off on me and I purchased my first (I'm sure my wife thinks that should read "last" or "only") Shopsmith 10ER today (SN: 18677), to complement my Mark Vs. I had to relocate a big apple press and a large generator to my acreage an hour away (en route to the 10ER, which was 90 min away) in order to make room in my garage shop, but my wife and my good friend humored me and came along for the ride and for lifting support.

$150, missing a few fasteners here and there. Missing a pulley guard (those don't seem to be leaping out at me on eBay either, so perhaps that will be hard to find?). Overall in good shape, though, and he clearly used it while attempting not to abuse it. He had owned it for the past 20 years or so, kept in an environmentally controlled garage, but he hadn't used it extensively for a while and thought it time to make room and give it a new home. He threw in some sketchy looking Ryobi lathe chisels (which he said he also got (new? used?) 20 years ago. For a 70 year old machine, it is in remarkably good condition. These things really are tanks. Original 1/2 HP AO Smith motor that purrs like a kitten.

I am awaiting approval for the Yahoo 10ER group and I am wading through Everett's stockpile of documentation.

My primary purpose in purchasing one (other than to have one!) was to modify it to function as a dedicated drill press. It has the bench ends with retractable casters, so the intent is to cut down the bench as short as the bench ends will allow, flip the headstock, and utilize it in permanent drill press mode a la John Burger. (I know people other than John have made them into a dedicated drill press, but John has a bright, clean shop and clear pics!)

Two immediate questions:
1. Any must-do upgrades or modifications or gotchas that would best serve this intended function?
2. Though it doesn't matter in a permanently verticle position, can someone please photo and explain the tie-bar (C2267), headrest (D2268), knob & stud (101 310) interaction? This gentleman had the tie bar on, but the way tubes were just resting on the headrest (he even complained of it being hard to slide the headstock or carriage because the way tubes would slightly spread and it would bind). I know he had that configured incorrectly (and I don't know if the part I found in the box he gave me was 101 310 or not), but after reading the owner's manual, it still isn't abundantly clear to me how those three pieces should interact. Pictures show tie bar outside the headrest. Exploded view makes it look like it could be the other way around. Is it just resting on that stud or do you tighten it down? What is the tapped hole in the middle of the tie-bar for?

Alec S.
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 and Power Pro (SN 000527)
1983 Mark V Shop Deputy (SN 163487)
1982 Mark V headstock (SN 122265)
1949 (?) 10 ER in transition to dedicated drill press (SN 18677)
11" Band Saw (Aluminum Table System upgrade) (SN 34026)
4" Jointer (SN 02-18-98)
6" Belt Sander (SN 19012)
18" Jig Saw (SN 17407)
20" Scroll Saw (SN 010593)
12" Thickness Planer (SN 10406)
Strip Sander (SN pending)
DC3300 Dust Collector (SN 102088)
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith 10ER dedicated drill press project

Post by everettdavis »

A picture is worth a 1000 words they say.

Magna had it configured as illustrated in the photos.

The hole is for the Headrest knob

The tapped hole may be used for a place to put another accessory table in place using another knob if you have the longer extension table.

Bill Mayo told me of another use but for the life of me I can't remember it now.

The base arm and the tie bar (outside) have way tubes extending allowing the auxiliary fence to be located at either end. When you have two of them, you can put an extension table on both ends to cut larger sheets (with help to support the outfeed)

No clue why it binds unless the way tube has some rough spots where it was over tightened. Smooth them out if that's the case.
setup with table extension.png
setup with table extension.png (446.34 KiB) Viewed 12292 times
setup with table extension which can be positioned at either end.png
setup with table extension which can be positioned at either end.png (156.62 KiB) Viewed 12292 times
setup with attachments removed.png
setup with attachments removed.png (159.78 KiB) Viewed 12292 times
Everett
reubenjames
Gold Member

Post by reubenjames »

Thanks, Everett. It's not binding for me, but previous owner didn't have the knob installed at all, so while the tie bar was on the end and outside the head rest, it was on the very end, not close to the headrest. The tie bar obviously couldn't be resting on the knob since it wasn't there. I don't know if that was allowing the way tubes, resting on the headrest, to splay outward a bit. His comment may also have meant to indicate binding problems if he didn't put on the tie bar, for the same reason (way tubes splaying outward). In any case, it's operating smoothly for me, when assembled properly!

Explanation about the tables makes sense. There is a lot that is the same or similar as a Mark V but an equal amount of new things to learn, I'm finding!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Alec S.
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 and Power Pro (SN 000527)
1983 Mark V Shop Deputy (SN 163487)
1982 Mark V headstock (SN 122265)
1949 (?) 10 ER in transition to dedicated drill press (SN 18677)
11" Band Saw (Aluminum Table System upgrade) (SN 34026)
4" Jointer (SN 02-18-98)
6" Belt Sander (SN 19012)
18" Jig Saw (SN 17407)
20" Scroll Saw (SN 010593)
12" Thickness Planer (SN 10406)
Strip Sander (SN pending)
DC3300 Dust Collector (SN 102088)
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

The tie bar goes to the left of, and adjacent to, the headrest. The knob/bolt holds it in place, but not super securely, gravity does most of the work.

Here are pictures from the end.
Tiebar.jpg
Tiebar.jpg (362.66 KiB) Viewed 12283 times
and the top.
tiebartop.jpg
tiebartop.jpg (368.69 KiB) Viewed 12283 times
For my dedicated drill press, I added a gas strut to aid adjusting the table height,
Others don't feel this is necessary, your results may vary. ;)

This is the link to how I built it. http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/gener ... 16014.html
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Here is a couple examples of dedicated Drill Press Model 10's.
Stand Mounted
Stand Mounted
shopsmith 10E upright as drill press full view.jpg (59.34 KiB) Viewed 12243 times
For the wall mounted unit below I would add something to keep the tie bar held to the headrest in case the knob comes loose.
Wall Mounted
Wall Mounted
dadaa96e62a85d34247276ea96f4bce3.jpg (32.76 KiB) Viewed 12243 times
See page 4 of Shopsmith Shavings Issue No. 5 for compound angle drilling on a Model 10. This tip gives you some right or left tilt for the table. Removing the unused table post give you full tilt range. Remember to somehow support the "free" end of the table so not all of the pressure during drilling is not on the single table post screw lock.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.