Powerpro Competitor

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

procrastinator
Gold Member

Re: Powerpro Competitor

Post by procrastinator »

I just finished watching the latest YouTube posting for the "DIGITALPLUS" the new name for the PowerPro alternate. This is a basic introduction to do a DYI conversion like the Shopsmith DVD. I used the SS DVD, and printed step by step instructions to completed my conversion to PowerPro 3 or 4 years ago, without any problems. As best as I can determine the "DIGITALPLUS" costs $1,350 to do it yourself. I checked the SS site today and the DYI package is on sale for $1,537. If I had not already been familiar with the steps in the conversion using the excellent SS instructions I would find his directions inadequate. If I were going to make the purchase today, I would still pick the Shopsmith. If the cost was well under $1,000 I might think otherwise!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX5XIr8v-cc
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I am surprised SS has not sent it's lawyer to see him like they did Bill Mayo!

I see little original thinking and too much 'you can get stuff needed elsewhere'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Yeah, the price would have needed to come in closer to $1k for this for the DIY version in my opinion. With the Shopsmith sale, there isn't a compelling enough reason to go with his version over the Shopsmith one. I don't remember any more how much he wanted for the full headstock conversion because his website is down, but doesn't seem like much difference in price for full conversion versus DIY from him.

What did Bill Mayo do that got him in trouble with Shopsmith?
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

The prices are almost the same when you factor in the new quill parts you get with Shopsmith's. This is definitely not a compelling deal.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:I am surprised SS has not sent it's lawyer to see him like they did Bill Mayo!

I see little original thinking and too much 'you can get stuff needed elsewhere'.
Why? All that he is really doing is providing an alternate way to purchase similar (almost the same) hardware.

Is he doing anything for which a patent would be appropriate? I don't think so.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I did not think Bill was doing anything that threatened SS in any way either. However the cease and desist included not having any SS logo or wording on anything in his 'booth', not any on his clothing and the SS machines he was displaying.

Asinine IMO but when lawyers think they can bully, they do.

Bill was merely displaying rebuilt SS at a craft/home/(?) show venue. He may have been selling the used SS, but I think his repair service was the prime intention.

As for Mr alternative, he clearly is copying what SS did with the Powerpro as far as mounting etc.. Understandable as there are few to none alternative approaches. I doubt that stuff is patentable.

Since Bill could not 'display' SS, I think uttering the word Shopsmith is in the same genre.

Maybe Mr. Gale can enlighten us on this.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

JPG wrote:
Nope. Not my field of expertise.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Okay, I know I have already posted too much on this topic, but maybe just one more. I did watch some of this DIY install video that he posted and had a few observations.

1. If you watch during the first few seconds, you can see "YOUR TITLE HERE" scroll up underneath his actual title. Guess he forgot to remove that in post production. :)

2. I still like that the newer Striatech controls have an Analog knob for adjusting the speed. I know it is probably being sampled and converted to digital behind it, but the fact that you can fine tune speed with an actual knob just appeals to me from a UI standpoint.

3. This is the first video where I have seen the controls actually used on this newer Striatech box. I like how he can push buttons, e.g. speed presets and just hit ON. Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you also have a "confirm" step that is needed on the PowerPro? I know they want safety, but these UI things always irk me like the legal statement approval on a GPS in a car, etc. I hate redundant steps.

4. The function button cycling looks nice for quickly adjusting from a preset speed, i.e. pressing more than once ups the speed for you.

5. I like the nice big LCD screen that is easy to read.

I know a lot of things that I like are just items that Striatech has continued to improve on since they sold the original system to Shopsmith. In one sense, it is not Shopsmith's fault that the PowerPro is starting to look dated now in comparison because it has been unchanged now for what 8 years? They have to sell a platform and by keeping the PowerPro constant they have a consistent user experience which can be a plus.

I have already spent too much money on tools already this year, so I can't justify a PowerPro being unemployed right now. I hope to get into woodturning more in the future, so I may have to finally break down and buy a PowerPro for it on the low speed end. Until then, please indulge my musings about what I wish Shopsmith would do/add to the PowerPro…unfortunately, I don't see them changing anything anytime soon. I mean if they can't update more than the cover on a book, how are they going to release PowerPro Rev2?
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

JPG wrote:I did not think Bill was doing anything that threatened SS in any way either. However the cease and desist included not having any SS logo or wording on anything in his 'booth', not any on his clothing and the SS machines he was displaying.

Asinine IMO but when lawyers think they can bully, they do.

Bill was merely displaying rebuilt SS at a craft/home/(?) show venue. He may have been selling the used SS, but I think his repair service was the prime intention.

As for Mr alternative, he clearly is copying what SS did with the Powerpro as far as mounting etc.. Understandable as there are few to none alternative approaches. I doubt that stuff is patentable.

Since Bill could not 'display' SS, I think uttering the word Shopsmith is in the same genre.

I first met Bill at a home show and at that time his booth did look like a Shopsmith booth. He later changed things. Early on his intent was to sell rebuilt Shopsmith’s. Later he was trying to liquidate his parts supply. At the time he had Shopsmith parts everywhere it was great entertainment for me to see him finding what he needed. Again later on he organized and had a method to his disorder.😂
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

Over on OWWM.org it's very common to use a three phase motor and electronic controller to run off of 1ph power. It allows variable speed control. I've been looking at converting my JET 16.5" drill press to this set up. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to use a 3 phase motor in a Shopsmith power head with a controller outside the head. I'm pretty sure they're calling this kind of setup "DVR". The only issues are mounting the motor on the power head, setting up pulleys and mounting the controller. Cost of motor and controller is ~$150.

3 phase motors with digital control have replaced mechanical transmissions in most high and medium level washing machines. The technology is very reliable.
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!