any one ever made panel carriers

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

any one ever made panel carriers

Post by Hobbyman2 »

We have been looking at several different panel carriers for a remodel job , I know several people here work with plywood and large sheets of stock ,Just wondering if any one has used their shopsmith to make one , seen a idea where some one had made one with what looked to be lawn mower wheels and plywood, looks like ya just put the end of the plywood or drywall on the thing and roll it around . Thanks for any feed back .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
sehast
Gold Member

Re: any one ever made panel carriers

Post by sehast »

I don't have a very good one but if I were to build one I would pattern it after this one from Rockler. Or if you have the cash just buy it.

https://www.rockler.com/rockler-materia ... shop-stand
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Most of the time I just use one of those Stanley plastic carriers that hooks under the panel and give you a good handle. I can carry a full sheet of 3/4" plywood with one. Notice I said "carry", not "enjoy carrying" a sheet. :D
In the shop I keep a couple of skate boards, a longer one and a short one. I often stick one under a sheet to move it across the shop. I have long intended to make one of those with a saddle and a couple of lawnmower wheels.
I also have a picture (or webpage) saved somewhere of a carrier like the Rockler one but made from wood. It was designed by a lady woodworker to handle sheet goods. I've had that picture for several years. If I remember right hers had a jack lift to adjust the height so she could slide sheets out of her station wagon onto the cart then after she got it in the shop she could jack it up to the height of her table saw or her bench. I recall it being very well done... I saved it for when I get old... I guess I better get started on one... :rolleyes: :)
One difference I need is much bigger wheels at least on one end. My drive-way down to my shop outside walk door needs serious ability to drain water since it slopes down to the basement floor level. To that end we put in deep tile ditches and covered it with #2 crushed stone. The depth of the stone runs from a minimum of 2' to a maximum depth of about 4'. It works really great even in ripped open sky downpours. Its only downside is that it is not "little wheel" friendly. :rolleyes: :D Around here #2 stone runs from about ping-pong ball size up to about tennis ball size. A 10" O. D. wheel works fine and I can buy them for about $10 ea. either air tires or solid.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

wonder if Shopsmith would be inclined to design one that would hook on to the 510 rails or the 520 ? Hmmmm I seen the one's you are talking about Francis , one didnt have wheel locks and looked sort of questionable for a in or out feed table , not to mention the small wheels .
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

sehast seen those, they do look sturdy and safe but they look sort of bulky for storage and not sure about the smaller wheels , I am running out of room for once in a while tools and too old to think about building a new garage lol ,
larryhrockisland
Gold Member

Post by larryhrockisland »

We use something like this to move solid core wood doors around the jobsite. Ours has a carpet lining.
https://www.zoro.com/zoro-select-panel- ... /G5319833/
I also thought ours was made in house but this one is close to what we have.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Weha-Yellow- ... 3=&veh=sem
Larry Hargrove
Rock Island, Ok
1981 Mark V 500>510>520(98922)
19?? Mark V 500>Power Pro headstock 556176 06-17-11 factory exchange program original serial unknown
1957 Mark V 500 (350389)
1953 10ER
Another 10ER
Bandsaw 2012 Jointer 2012
Bandsaw, Jointer, other goodies
Craftsman table saw, Delta 46-460 Midi lathe
SS 6” Belt Sander w/power stand 1970’s?
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Thanks Larry I can see those would be handy, have you had any issues with them sliding around or scuffing the doors ?
We are going to drywall a entire down stairs ,ceilings and walls and the wife and girls will be doing the work , want to provide as safe and effortless project as possible with as little damage to the drywall . I like the carrier that turns into a in feed so far the best , easy to transfer the boards to the lift . after the project I can use it in my shop and it folds up for storage.
larryhrockisland
Gold Member

Post by larryhrockisland »

Hobbyman2 wrote:Thanks Larry I can see those would be handy, have you had any issues with them sliding around or scuffing the doors ?
Ours is like the yellow one with a full carpet lining in the u-channel so we don't have any problems scuffing the doors. They will slide sometimes if there is a sudden stop but no damage. Much better than carrying them.
Larry Hargrove
Rock Island, Ok
1981 Mark V 500>510>520(98922)
19?? Mark V 500>Power Pro headstock 556176 06-17-11 factory exchange program original serial unknown
1957 Mark V 500 (350389)
1953 10ER
Another 10ER
Bandsaw 2012 Jointer 2012
Bandsaw, Jointer, other goodies
Craftsman table saw, Delta 46-460 Midi lathe
SS 6” Belt Sander w/power stand 1970’s?
moggymatt
Platinum Member

Post by moggymatt »

I've made a few panel carriers but they always seemed too long or too short and not very comfortable to use. Had one on wheels once but didn't really use it a lot as I have a gravel drive. Best carrier I've ever had and use the most is a piece of rope with a loop on each end and another in the middle. I added a s-hook to the middle loop to hook the top of the sheet so I wouldn't keep dropping it.
Paul B
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

thats a good idea Paul
We picked up one of these off ebay , I have to say If this is like your old one I agree with you about the wheels , I think I will change them out once I find a good set of soft rubber wheels , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiwiHoi73PY not sure how I am going to attach it to the MKV 510 for the in/out feed to stop it from moving around . Thanks everyone for your in put .