Raising Shopsmith Taller

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Raising Shopsmith Taller

Post by JPG »

I like the 'added' height. It gets things closer to my eyes. Never have to bend over either. Like JSB, once ya get accustomed to it, it never enters thy mind when using.

That extra height is onerous when cutting large sheet goods. But I do not do that often any more.

Ya I be a 6' er.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Wes7373
Gold Member

Post by Wes7373 »

Thanks, all. Those are great suggestions I am going to implement this weekend in the shop.

Wes
Wes7373
Gold Member

Post by Wes7373 »

oddie wrote:This is what I did. Used 2x6s. The pads on the bottom are to compensate for unevenness of the floor. I put these handles on the ends to help lift the SS on and off the blocks.

$matches[2]
$matches[2]
ACD86314-EE68-4364-8E3F-50D73534BED5.jpeg

I’m 6’ 2” and this added 4 1/2” helps with the neck and back issues. Doesn’ prevent, just helps.

I check periodically to ensure the SS isn’t wobbling off the platform.
Oddie, I assume since you check it periodically that the shopsmith isn't anchored to the wooden blocks?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Oddie, is there some reason you do not like to use the built in handle to raise one end at a time?
spt clamp newer.jpg
spt clamp newer.jpg (334.18 KiB) Viewed 15308 times
;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:Oddie, is there some reason you do not like to use the built in handle to raise one end at a time?
.spt clamp newer.jpg ;)
Maybe it is a little too high. :eek: :D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
oddie
Gold Member

Post by oddie »

A couple of things-
I have several Shopsmiths so I don’t have to constantly raise and lower the machine to do other functions. So I don’t have to saw at a higher level. Because I have limited space in my basement there are times when I do have to take it off the platforms to store it aside.

The machine is not anchored to the platform. I do check periodically to ensure it hasn’t wiggled off the platforms and so far there has been very little movement.

The current SPT handles are too high 😁 and too far forward for me to gain purchase when I lift the machine. I assumed the stain on my arms and shoulders would be too great to use as a lift point. I’m was also concerned that if I did use those rotating handles that I’d unintentionally rotate them and loosen something I didn’t want loosened as I’m trying to lift.

Mine is not a perfect solution so I’m building a bench so the machine will be higher and not on a platform.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A lot like TP roll mounting(hang in or hang out), the SPT clamps can be installed two ways.

I prefer raising 'up' from the outside to tighten. I think that minimizes the loosening issue since I always lift with palm facing inwards.

Yes that requires the clamp be installed reversed on the other end(to make up = tighten).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

shoe4hire
Bronze Member

Post by shoe4hire »

I'm new to the forum (my first post), so I hope I do this right...

I've had my Mark V since 1982 (wife bought it for me). But, I've hardly used the lathe until I retired last year. Now half my time is woodturning. Here is how I now raise and lower the SS for using the lathe or other tools. I have another platform for the other end. I am 6' 1" tall.

I may add a 3/4 plywood sheet to the bottom of the platforms (made from 2x8's). But this will not change the ease of lifting the SS with the same 2x4 lever and changing the height.

I change the height of the SS faster than I change most tools.

The bigger lathe problem I have is the standard tool rest will not tighten well. I sometimes get the tool rest into the turning. Not good!! Any thoughts out there?
Attachments
Lathe Lift 3.jpg
Lathe Lift 3.jpg (32.07 KiB) Viewed 8347 times
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Welcome to the forum. Unless someone else has had this specific problem I'm thinking more info is needed. Where is the tool rest not tight? Are you using the original versions of the parts that don't get tight, or have you upgraded at some point? Can you add a photo of those parts? There are multiple versions of all of the parts involved.

- David
shoe4hire
Bronze Member

Post by shoe4hire »

Tool Rest Question 1.jpg
Tool Rest Question 1.jpg (47.12 KiB) Viewed 7595 times
David,

Thanks for the response. In the attached picture, I can not get the large wing nut "A" to tighten the post "B".
I have changed the actual tool rest lock with the wooden handled all-thread piece "C" and that works very well.
But, since the post rotates the tool rest into the turning while I'm working this is a bit dangerous.
I didn't want to switch to the Universal Tool Rest since that reduces turning size.
I'm also going to see if there is another thread where this post belongs. If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it.
Fred