Twin Turbo Vise Kickstarter - Andrew Klein

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Twin Turbo Vise Kickstarter - Andrew Klein

Post by RFGuy »

Don't know if anyone else follows Andrew Klein on YouTube, but he is a woodworker and inventor. He has a new take on a single handle, twin screw woodworking vise that I am considering for my shop. The vise has two speeds and the gears are exposed so that you can see it turning. It looks like a very solid and interesting design. Take a look if you are in the market for a new vise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr2NDsk62MM

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/21 ... ject_email
TwinTurbo.jpg
TwinTurbo.jpg (191.99 KiB) Viewed 25811 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
benush26
Platinum Member

Re: Twin Turbo Vise Kickstarter - Andrew Klein

Post by benush26 »

I have watched the videos and finally contacted him before he had a firm idea of his price structure. At that time he was closer to $300 and was not ready for production but had, I think, a couple vises in the hands of others as a beta or feedback.
I had not yet decided on what my new bench would be like (style, size, even construction materials). Now that I have a relatively solid idea of size and style, I opted to buy the Sjoberg front vice ($230 with discount from Lowe’s And it took a couple months to get here) and will use the Yost 9” front vise as an end vise.
I think this vise is a similar discussion to the Festool one. How do you wish to use your time and are you willing to trade money for time? There a number of quick release vises and to me, this is just a variant. I am a true believer in buying a better technology if I can effectively use that technology. If this vise ticks all the right boxes for you then the Kickstarter campaign may be a good fit.
I do have mental plans😱🤪 for a twin threaded vise ala Moxon that is a temporary useage vise utilizing dog holes to help hold the back section, but it will be more a scrap wood and lathe turned handles build rather than a kit. I’m not a hand cut dovetail person, using instead the INCRA system on a router table. My need/utilization of a big end vise or Moxon on the front is probably significantly less than most. That was also one of my reasons for not going with Klein’s design.
Most times when people on this forum ask about a product you will see many responses of “What are your projects”, which then helps the poster think through the pluses and minuses.
OR
You can buy it and then give the forum a review.

Be well,
Ben
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

benush26 wrote:I have watched the videos and finally contacted him before he had a firm idea of his price structure. At that time he was closer to $300 and was not ready for production but had, I think, a couple vises in the hands of others as a beta or feedback.
I had not yet decided on what my new bench would be like (style, size, even construction materials). Now that I have a relatively solid idea of size and style, I opted to buy the Sjoberg front vice ($230 with discount from Lowe’s And it took a couple months to get here) and will use the Yost 9” front vise as an end vise.
I think this vise is a similar discussion to the Festool one. How do you wish to use your time and are you willing to trade money for time? There a number of quick release vises and to me, this is just a variant. I am a true believer in buying a better technology if I can effectively use that technology. If this vise ticks all the right boxes for you then the Kickstarter campaign may be a good fit.
I do have mental plans😱🤪 for a twin threaded vise ala Moxon that is a temporary useage vise utilizing dog holes to help hold the back section, but it will be more a scrap wood and lathe turned handles build rather than a kit. I’m not a hand cut dovetail person, using instead the INCRA system on a router table. My need/utilization of a big end vise or Moxon on the front is probably significantly less than most. That was also one of my reasons for not going with Klein’s design.
Most times when people on this forum ask about a product you will see many responses of “What are your projects”, which then helps the poster think through the pluses and minuses.
OR
You can buy it and then give the forum a review.

Be well,
Ben
Ben,

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I am a sucker when it comes to new inventions, but honestly I am on the fence with this one. I was doing some research on vises in the background, because I am not ready to redo my current setup. I had settled on a future purchase of a Veritas twin screw vise, but then found some bad reviews for it, e.g. twin screws don't stay aligned. So, then I picked the Hovarter (link below) which looks well built and I like the style of it, but then I saw Klein's design. I haven't made any purchase yet and I am not ready to pull the trigger. Interestingly he has almost reached his funding goal on Kickstarter and it hasn't even been 24 hours yet since it was released. Either way, whether I decide to go for his or not, I wish him well with this endeavor. I just wanted to share what he is doing with the community here in case anyone wanted to purchase it. Surprised his Kickstarter is almost launched in less than a day!

https://www.hovartercustomvise.com/
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

The KickStarter is already up to $52K of pledges, and it's still early in day two. Klein has got to be a happy camper!

I really like the design. Having some experience with product manufacturing, I strongly suspect that he's underpricing it, and will have to raise prices down the road. So I almost pulled the trigger on one myself.

But then I reviewed my shop layout, and discovered that I don't have space for a centrally-mounted end-vise handle like his. As for the front vise, I already own a really cool antique patternmakers vise that's earmarked for that spot. Plus I already have a couple good vintage woodworking vises on hand that I can choose from for the end vise. So I guess I'll save my money for something that I actually need, and forgo the cool-looking gearing.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:The KickStarter is already up to $52K of pledges, and it's still early in day two. Klein has got to be a happy camper!

I really like the design. Having some experience with product manufacturing, I strongly suspect that he's underpricing it, and will have to raise prices down the road. So I almost pulled the trigger on one myself.

But then I reviewed my shop layout, and discovered that I don't have space for a centrally-mounted end-vise handle like his. As for the front vise, I already own a really cool antique patternmakers vise that's earmarked for that spot. Plus I already have a couple good vintage woodworking vises on hand that I can choose from for the end vise. So I guess I'll save my money for something that I actually need, and forgo the cool-looking gearing.
Yeah, I thought he priced it very reasonably and well within the market of what similar vises are selling for, e.g. Hovarter, Benchcrafted, Veritas. Of course, as I understand it, I believe he is selling the individual parts and you have to fully assemble it yourself with his plans. So, perhaps a bit more assembly is required for his vise compared to the competition? In a post somewhere he commented that once the Kickstarter finishes that he hopes to continue to sell it but would likely raise the price $60 at least.

I haven't pulled the trigger on it and don't know if I will or not. Unfortunately he didn't disclose full specs on the size of the vises. The posted sizes on the Kickstarter campaign are the center to center size between the two screws, NOT the full jaw width. I asked him to post the actual dimensions so that people can decide if it fits their workbench, e.g. as an end vise, but he hasn't posted the actual dimensions yet.
📶RF Guy

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Had a chance to check out the video and it is interesting but I don't see me needing or even wanting one. I have a front mounted vice on a work bench and I can't even remember the last time I used it so having a nicer vice most likely would change that.

I'm actually thinking about parting with the old bench, maybe on of my boys will take it. I made it years ago as a proof on concept and when I was more into hand tools. I was going to make a better quality one with better wood but since it has been so long and it hasn't happened I have to face the fact it never will.

Besides my thinking that long ago was a lot different then what it is today. That is the problem with wood working, well at least for me, I end up changing how I work and with what tools I use. After making a half dozen ultimate router tables, several ultimate storage units for under the shopsmith I came to understand that "ultimate" is way over used in wood working.

Things like having a tool tray on the back of the bench, cool then, now not so much. Likewise all these big heavy bench vices, I just don't need them for what I do and I don't ever see me needing one in the future.

I like it but I don't really need or want it, but it was cool to look at.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

reible wrote:Had a chance to check out the video and it is interesting but I don't see me needing or even wanting one. I have a front mounted vice on a work bench and I can't even remember the last time I used it so having a nicer vice most likely would change that.

I'm actually thinking about parting with the old bench, maybe on of my boys will take it. I made it years ago as a proof on concept and when I was more into hand tools. I was going to make a better quality one with better wood but since it has been so long and it hasn't happened I have to face the fact it never will.

Besides my thinking that long ago was a lot different then what it is today. That is the problem with wood working, well at least for me, I end up changing how I work and with what tools I use. After making a half dozen ultimate router tables, several ultimate storage units for under the shopsmith I came to understand that "ultimate" is way over used in wood working.

Things like having a tool tray on the back of the bench, cool then, now not so much. Likewise all these big heavy bench vices, I just don't need them for what I do and I don't ever see me needing one in the future.

Ed
Ed,

Thanks. You make a good point and once I have a nice vise like this, mine may go unused. I hope not. So far, I have been a predominantly power tool based woodworker and have enjoyed it. I am curious about doing woodworking more with hand tools, but I don't want to be 100% hand tools. I'd like to explore this "new" hybrid woodworking fad that is going on if for no other reason than to learn some new skills. I have old kitchen cabinets on one side of my shop for storage, but I need a good solid benchtop to put on it. I envision buying a solid face vise and possibly a wagon vise to put on the end. Hoping to make a nice workbench out of these cabinets and could really use the bench top with dog holes once I get it built. If I don't follow through and do more hand tool work, then I think you are right and the vise will be barely used and or abused for the wrong tasks of holding non wood projects. We will see....
📶RF Guy

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I don’t see myself ever doing a lot of hand sawing. I find myself using a chisel pretty often these days, but they haven’t introduced many workholding issues. But I frequently find myself wanting/needing to use a handplane, and I don’t have a decent bench for that. So I wind up having to figure out some sort of awkward ad-hoc clamping, all the while cursing myself for not having built a proper woodworking bench. I’ve even been known to sit on the floor and plane with a long workpiece butted up against a wall. My joints are getting too creaky for such nonsense.

RFGuy, I was able to glean a bit about the vise dimensions from the Q&A on the KickStarter page, when trying to figure out if one made sense for me. Here’s what I gathered:

A 20” OC vice is 24-1/4” wide.

“The 24" vise vertical height is 9", 20" is 7 1/2",
14" is 6". Not all of that height is above the
bench, if you have a 4" thick top that is plenty
to mount the nuts and bushings flush to the
bench and not have the top of the vise stick up
above the bench.”
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:I don’t see myself ever doing a lot of hand sawing. I find myself using a chisel pretty often these days, but they haven’t introduced many workholding issues. But I frequently find myself wanting/needing to use a handplane, and I don’t have a decent bench for that. So I wind up having to figure out some sort of awkward ad-hoc clamping, all the while cursing myself for not having built a proper woodworking bench. I’ve even been known to sit on the floor and plane with a long workpiece butted up against a wall. My joints are getting too creaky for such nonsense.

RFGuy, I was able to glean a bit about the vise dimensions from the Q&A on the KickStarter page, when trying to figure out if one made sense for me. Here’s what I gathered:

A 20” OC vice is 24-1/4” wide.

“The 24" vise vertical height is 9", 20" is 7 1/2",
14" is 6". Not all of that height is above the
bench, if you have a 4" thick top that is plenty
to mount the nuts and bushings flush to the
bench and not have the top of the vise stick up
above the bench.”
Thanks. Yeah part of that was his response to my first question. He has said online that he can't change/update the Kickstarter so he did comment on his Instagram to another poster that the 20" vise says it needs 20 1/4" on Kickstarter but in reality it is 24 1/4" wide. It looks like he did somehow go back and update the 24" OC vise description on Kickstarter because it now says "recommend your bench be 4" thick and 29" wide minimum for this to work." If he can update the 24" OC vise description, I don't know why he can't update the 14" OC and 20" OC vise descriptions. I am happy for him that his Kickstarter has taken off, but I am surprised more people don't question the specs and dimensions more. There is relatively little information on his vise on the Kickstarter or even on his YouTube channel. He launched a pencil making jig (link below) on Indiegogo yesterday so he is busy and will probably never answer the questions I asked regarding sizes of all 3 vises.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pencil-making-tool#/
📶RF Guy

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

reible wrote:Had a chance to check out the video and it is interesting but I don't see me needing or even wanting one. I have a front mounted vice on a work bench and I can't even remember the last time I used it so having a nicer vice most likely would change that.

Ed

Ed you offer an interesting view point. Like you I can not recall the last time I used my bench vice. Actually the bugest use of my bench is as a staging table where I place the things I will using next in my build or project. I work off a simple work table ( 4x5 sheet of hardwood ply on saw horses) , that is why I am so interested in the Festool MFT, the Rockler Table, the Kreg Table, and now the Kreg cutting system
Like you my woodworking has evolved over time I once used my workbench almost exclusively tool tray and bench vises and all. But size width mostly has caused me to find other methods. Also the increase of cordless tools has made it easier for me to move around. Many times I just move out in the drive where I have less concern about dust, cleanup and lighting.

Other projects are just easier to go to them, taking a portable table and clamping system along.

lastly I cannot recall when I needed a vise as wide as this new vise. I would think an 8 vice with a aux support would suffice.