Raising Shopsmith Taller

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Wes7373
Gold Member

Raising Shopsmith Taller

Post by Wes7373 »

I find that if I use the lathe, my neck gets sore as its too low for me. Anyone raise their shopsmith to make it taller? I think I need about 6" in height added to make it comfortable.
oddie
Gold Member

Re: Raising Shopsmith Taller

Post by oddie »

This is what I did. Used 2x6s. The pads on the bottom are to compensate for unevenness of the floor. I put these handles on the ends to help lift the SS on and off the blocks.
243E0005-C4C4-4CAA-9203-869BAAE9204C.jpeg
243E0005-C4C4-4CAA-9203-869BAAE9204C.jpeg (435.34 KiB) Viewed 21689 times
91FD2861-9C5E-4C8D-AEFD-67AA40A814D5.jpeg
91FD2861-9C5E-4C8D-AEFD-67AA40A814D5.jpeg (691.3 KiB) Viewed 21689 times
ACD86314-EE68-4364-8E3F-50D73534BED5.jpeg
ACD86314-EE68-4364-8E3F-50D73534BED5.jpeg (483.3 KiB) Viewed 21689 times
I’m 6’ 2” and this added 4 1/2” helps with the neck and back issues. Doesn’ prevent, just helps.

I check periodically to ensure the SS isn’t wobbling off the platform.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I wish I could lower it that easily. I would like to look down on my saw table.

I often contemplate removing the legs and mounting to a bench (think 10ER).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

You could make a larger version of the under SS storage cabinet, build it large enough to mount the SS on it without the legs and put it on locking castors to make it any height you want.
Paul
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

I've got a couple of pieces of 4x4s that I use for lathe work like oddie does. Remember, it's easier to lift each end of the Shopsmith up if you slide the headstock over to the other end.
jjj240
Gold Member

Post by jjj240 »

On the other hand, table saw is too high for me (i am 5' 9"). Anyone else feel it is too high?
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I like the saw height. It works great for me. If I want it a bit lower for the lathe, I use my shop stool with modified legs for exactly the height I need. And, the stool saves on your feet.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

jjj240 wrote:On the other hand, table saw is too high for me (i am 5' 9"). Anyone else feel it is too high?
I am 5' 7" (or used to be :eek: ) and when I bought my SS back in 1995 I used to think it was too high. I think I got used to it pretty quickly because the height has not entered my mind in many many years.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

jsburger wrote:
jjj240 wrote:On the other hand, table saw is too high for me (i am 5' 9"). Anyone else feel it is too high?
I am 5' 7" (or used to be :eek: ) and when I bought my SS back in 1995 I used to think it was too high. I think I got used to it pretty quickly because the height has not entered my mind in many many years.
I'm 5' 8" or just under now with age and a couple of damaged disk. I had a conventional table saw before I got a shopsmith, I was a bit concerned about the added height on the shopsmith and in fact only thee things prevented me from getting one before I did.

One was that shopsmith was out of business, two I didn't have the money when they first came back out and third was the height of the table saw. I got my shopsmith in 1976, the remaining issue was the table height. I was a little concerned so I kept my table saw thinking it things didn't work out I had that to fall back on.

It took me all of a couple of days to know that it wasn't going to be a problem for me. Sold the table saw and the rest is history. I actually found I liked the added height, so personal preference for me now has changed and I feel strange when I have to use a conventional height saw.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

reible wrote:
jsburger wrote:
I'm 5' 8" or just under now with age and a couple of damaged disk. I had a conventional table saw before I got a shopsmith, I was a bit concerned about the added height on the shopsmith and in fact only thee things prevented me from getting one before I did.

One was that shopsmith was out of business, two I didn't have the money when they first came back out and third was the height of the table saw. I got my shopsmith in 1976, the remaining issue was the table height. I was a little concerned so I kept my table saw thinking it things didn't work out I had that to fall back on.

It took me all of a couple of days to know that it wasn't going to be a problem for me. Sold the table saw and the rest is history. I actually found I liked the added height, so personal preference for me now has changed and I feel strange when I have to use a conventional height saw.

Ed
I have a Powermatic PM2000 table saw along with the Shopsmiths. I got the PM2000 in 2009 when I built the dedicated shop. I use both of them all the time and don't even think about the height of either when going from one to the other.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT