Model 10E for sale

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Model 10E for sale

Post by chapmanruss »

Ron,

For the pulleys the position, as you point out, is important as it shows in the picture.

I believe you are referring to the 10E for sale in Texas for the following comment that is part of the Shopsmith 10E Shaper Fence? thread.
Picture 13 in the ad is a home made guard/dust collector for the sanding disk,
I remember I had commented on that elsewhere. Also the original poster for this thread wasn't showing a Jig Saw. :eek: Is that from the Texas sale too.

I get mixed up sometimes too. Example - Even though I had restored over a dozen Model 10's I was doing the table alignment of a newly restored Model 10 and couldn't figure why I could not get the table to align front to back. It finally came to me that I had attached the rear table bearing P/N 103-4 upside down. Something that doesn't make a difference on a Mark 5 but certainly does on a Model 10.

So many Shopsmiths running through my head and so little brain power left to even keep them straight.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

chapmanruss wrote:Ron,

For the pulleys the position, as you point out, is important as it shows in the picture.

I believe you are referring to the 10E for sale in Texas for the following comment that is part of the Shopsmith 10E Shaper Fence? thread.
Picture 13 in the ad is a home made guard/dust collector for the sanding disk,
I remember I had commented on that elsewhere. Also the original poster for this thread wasn't showing a Jig Saw. :eek: Is that from the Texas sale too.

I get mixed up sometimes too. Example - Even though I had restored over a dozen Model 10's I was doing the table alignment of a newly restored Model 10 and couldn't figure why I could not get the table to align front to back. It finally came to me that I had attached the rear table bearing P/N 103-4 upside down. Something that doesn't make a difference on a Mark 5 but certainly does on a Model 10.

So many Shopsmiths running through my head and so little brain power left to even keep them straight.
I indeed does make a difference on a Mark 5. A good way to break it is to mount it upside down and tighten the bolts. :(
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG,
I believe we are talking about different parts. On the early Model 10E P/N 103-4 is called the Rear Table Bearing. It's counterpart on the early Mark 5 tables is P/N B 2295 Trunnion - Rear.
From an early Model 10E
From an early Model 10E
103-4 Table Bearing r.jpg (372.64 KiB) Viewed 18334 times
From an early Mark 5 Manual
From an early Mark 5 Manual
Trunnion Rear.png (50.8 KiB) Viewed 18334 times
In both cases the part remained the same during their production of the Model 10's and the original table system of the Mark 5 A.K.A Mark V 500. In the case of the Mark 5 there is no up or down side.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

The first 10E I refurbed I did the same thing. I got the pivot bracket wrong and it took me a while to figure out what was wrong.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

chapmanruss wrote:JPG,
I believe we are talking about different parts. On the early Model 10E P/N 103-4 is called the Rear Table Bearing. It's counterpart on the early Mark 5 tables is P/N B 2295 Trunnion - Rear.
103-4 Table Bearing r.jpgTrunnion Rear.pngIn both cases the part remained the same during their production of the Model 10's and the original table system of the Mark 5 A.K.A Mark V 500. In the case of the Mark 5 there is no up or down side.
IF that be the case, WHY is the word "TOP" cast into the side with the bump which will interfere if installed upside down?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG,
I didn't realize I had one until I just went out and looked. I believe it is from a 80's Mark V Original Table System. You are correct, it has a raised bump which has TOP stamped into it. Still not sure what that would hit if it was upside down. I do not have a complete original table assembly to check it out but since you do I will agree with you that there must be a reason. Below is the one I found.
504249 Rear Trunnion.jpg
504249 Rear Trunnion.jpg (104.25 KiB) Viewed 18302 times
Russ

Mark V 520
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A lousy pix, but the "BUMP" will hit the underside of the table if the bearing is installed upside down.
REAR TRUNION BEARING B.jpg
REAR TRUNION BEARING B.jpg (184.02 KiB) Viewed 18288 times
BTW "TOP" is for the assembly person who installs it at the factory. Sorta like laying sod green side up! :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

amboyna
Gold Member

Post by amboyna »

GrampsolSS has not responded to my PM. Wonder if they sold it.
Shopsmith 10E S/N 5804 restored.
Shopsmith 10ER S/N R39267; purchased 10-10-50 in San Francisco.
Bruce Brenner
http://www.vintagepbks.com/shopsmith.html
chace
Bronze Member

Post by chace »

i have model 1272
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Hi chace and welcome to the forum,

You said you have model 1272 but do you mean serial number 1272 for a Model 10E? We would love to see pictures. If it is Model 10E S/N 1272 it would be from the next Model 10E's made after the original shipment. If you need help on how to post pictures on this forum go to the following link for that.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/comm ... 19246.html

It is also one of the top threads on this community page. We look forward to hearing more from you.
Russ

Mark V 520