Saw Guard Confusion

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

farmerwd
Gold Member

Saw Guard Confusion

Post by farmerwd »

Good Evening all!

I've tried to locate good instructions on how to install a saw guard on the 500... but I cannot for the life of me make out what hodge-podge mix of parts I'm looking at. Is there a install PDF for the Model 500 Clear Saw Guard System Upgrade (505875)?

Sorry if it's in the google drive and I just couldn't find it, but I'm completely unawares how to get any safety system saw to work on my 500. I've poked around and have no idea how to modify / install this guard system currently. Even the SS site seems to link to dead pages. I'm searching for a 520 to upgrade my SS, but that's going to be a longer search I'm afraid. I lost out on a heck of a craigslist deal this past weekend for one.

I'd like to spin a blade up but no way am I wanting to use the thing without some sort of riving knife. I'll use an MJ splitter if I have to in the meantime, but surely I can get something here to work.

Thanks in advance all!
Attachments
saw_guard_confusion.jpg
saw_guard_confusion.jpg (463.03 KiB) Viewed 10013 times
Brand new to Shopsmiths - Working with & working on a MarkV - SS54109.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Saw Guard Confusion

Post by JPG »

If one controls the workpiece, there is no need for a riving knife. Key word is control. Not always possible however. Hands work much better than push thingies. Pushers only push, seldom hold down, and do not always control side motion. Warped workpiece and all bets are off! :eek:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

farmerwd - I Just sent you a PM.
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

Here is a pdf of the instructions I think you are looking for. I must have downloaded it when I purchased a used upgrade upper guard. I still use my original lower guard, but these instructions also cover how to install the upgraded lower guard.
Also, added a few comments to your picture:
saw_guard_confusion revised.jpg
saw_guard_confusion revised.jpg (174.44 KiB) Viewed 9949 times
Attachments
Shopsmith 505875 saw guard attachment info.pdf
(339.91 KiB) Downloaded 1777 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The above relabeling is correct. The Manual above is for the Retro-fit Kit upgrade to 2-1/2" ports from the original 1-1/4" dust port of the 505875 Saw Guard System. Under Mark V 500 service parts here on the Shopsmith site you can find the exploded view and parts list for the 505875 Saw Guard system. You can order missing parts for this guard system from there.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
farmerwd
Gold Member

Post by farmerwd »

Wowsers - Going to have to cut into the table eh? :eek:

Very well - Thank you so much for the instruction sheet! Time to go source some parts I guess!
Brand new to Shopsmiths - Working with & working on a MarkV - SS54109.