PowerPro Chart the Movie

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

PowerPro Chart the Movie

Post by reible »

For those of us who have one this is not all that interesting but if you have not seen it or not seem a reasonably complete step through and are interested then this is for you.

Cold in the shop so if I missed a few things sorry but I think you will find that it is reasonably complete. I had to stand at an odd angle to get the camera in position so standing off balance for that long was pretty interesting. You will notice that I sometimes had to press buttons twice, that is rare in real life.

I was also reading the chart off the camera part of the time which was not idea. The whole video is almost 9 minutes long, by far longer then others I've posted and it taking a long while to upload, somewhere in the 1 hour and 8 minutes upload time....... well time for some soup.

https://youtu.be/shGIM_FsUpg

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Re: PowerPro Chart the Movie

Post by reible »

After thinking about this I short changed the drilling chart in the video. I picked the large/hole saw option and you didn't get to see the options that would have appeared if I had picked say a 1/2" bit size. In that case you have the options of what type of bit you are using, twist/brad point/etc. An over site on my part, sorry.

If you have questions or want more details let me know.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I dare say there are other missing branches as well. Not to be construed as a complaint etc.. There are many different paths to 'ready to run' that you did not take(assuming since not all screens eventually led there exhaustively).

Perhaps some day when the weather is more cooperative.

I think this could lead to a 'published' speed chart usable for non-PP users.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

There already is a printed chart of the PowerPro menu:

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... _chart.htm

I compared the printed chart to the electronic one a few years ago, and it is an exact match, except for one missing scroll saw setting.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/begin ... 5-s20.html

Mike
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Thank you, Ed. This really did help me to understand how the PowerPro helps the user to setup properly for the task to be performed.

All said, it still leaves me in charge of my fate. It allows me to run the band saw at saw speeds or the saw at router speeds, etc. I previously thought it imposed absolute limitations based on task definitions.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:Thank you, Ed. This really did help me to understand how the PowerPro helps the user to setup properly for the task to be performed.

All said, it still leaves me in charge of my fate. It allows me to run the band saw at saw speeds or the saw at router speeds, etc. I previously thought it imposed absolute limitations based on task definitions.
Well, you have been in charge of that for how many years now? :)

The MK 7 is no different than the MK 5/V. You can set any speed you want on the MK 5/V. It is up to you to get it right. You can still set the MK 5/V at high with the band saw connected.

As Ed said the Power Pro does not know what you want unless you use the chart function. Same as the non-PP without the chart.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT