DVR motor for a 10E / 10ER

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

everettdavis
Platinum Member

DVR motor for a 10E / 10ER

Post by everettdavis »

I started this thread for directed topic of a discussion that popped up in another thread titled PowerPro Competitor at http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 57#p254957

Their premise was an alternative DVR Motor upgrade on a Mark V.

In that topic, this discussion came up
BobCoates1953 wrote:Not a expert when it comes to electronics but why couldn't this be adapted to 10er? At 1.75 hp more then the std 1/2 or 3/4 hp. Seems like 56 frame motor mount is available. Put a 3 step pulley (not needed) and might fit? This is like what Skip offers?
Rightly so, Dusty, JPG and others raised some questions on mounting, pulleys, belts and so on.

I felt this application was in need of it's own thread and some history of the companies etc.

To that end:

The 10,000 RPM of the Final Quill Speed on a Power Pro is a result of the difference in Pulley Diameters. (See Illustration) The DVR Motor is not spinning 10,000 RPM - only the spindle could be.
Pulley Size Variance.png
Pulley Size Variance.png (359.5 KiB) Viewed 13226 times

If you used the same pulley ratio on a 10ER setup, but selected the wrong motor configuration for RPM at 10,000 RPM on the motor shaft, you would run the output a dangerous speeds even on a 10ER Cast Iron Headstock, and you still have an open faced unguarded Poly-V that could slap the heck out of you if it came apart.

You might be hitting 20 -25,000 RPM on shaft. That's not a problem for some high speed Router Bits, but what about the Shopsmith Arbor holding it? You don't want that coming apart at that speed.

The Safety built into Shopsmith pre-programming speed functions is evident. If you roll your own so to speak, and select a 10,000 RPM capable DVR Motor, those Pulley ratios need to be 1:1.

It can be done.

With regard to the mounting to the 10E /10ER Motor plate, there is an optional Foot Mount for the motor that would allow you to hang it directly as with the conventional motor. (See Illustration)
DVR Motor with Foot Mounts.png
DVR Motor with Foot Mounts.png (350.39 KiB) Viewed 13226 times
Teknatool is the company some folks cite because they helped Nova and Shopsmith implement their DVR Motors, which comes through Striatech, a subsidiary of Teknatool International.

Their DVR Motor technology was developed and owned by DVR Technology Developments Inc.

In 2016, DVR Technology Developments was rebranded as Striatech.

Send sales or product Inquiries to sales@striatech.com or call (727) 202-9932 and discuss what you want to do with them.

You may also like to browse their “official look book” which I had to place in My Google Drive under Folder "Striatech DVR Motor" because it was too large to post here.

See: http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 90#p185690

They offer SF series (NEMA Flange Mount), MF Series (Metric Flange Mount), the DF Series and the MM Series which is smaller and designed for the fans and pump application space.

I would contact the company Their DF Series have a simplified controller to run the switched reluctance technology which may be exactly what you’re looking for on a 10ER etc. If that’s your need, be sure to inquire about the Foot Mount Option (See photo)

I also uploaded to My Google Drive their Official Look Book, and a Teknatool Expanded Functions IO Setup and User Guide to give you an idea of what is available from them outside the Shopsmith Power Pro Upgrade, or the custom configurations possible.

There are a host of things to consider if you are doing your own upgrade and the diameter of the Poly-V belt pulleys are but one. Look at the Power Pro DVR Motor Pulley vs. the drive pulley.

In addition to the Shopsmith Power Pro, most folks are familiar with Nova Lathes and Drill Press Applications using the DVR motor. More recently RIKON & developed the world’s first DVR Smart Bandsaw. (Perhaps better stated Dedicated DVR Bandsaw).

Kindest Regards,

Everett
BobCoates1953
Gold Member

Re: DVR motor for a 10E / 10ER

Post by BobCoates1953 »

Thanks Everett,
I saw the NEMA flange mount and though it might work. Good point on pulley size.
With limited experience with the motor, the 50- 5000 rpm sounded good for lathe work, probably 50 to 1000 would be good for most bowls.
I just refurbish at 1950 er for my son, and was thinking that if he got interested in turning that the DVR or Skips would be a good selection for lathe work. Granted he would not be able to turn out of balance large stock but the low speeding sanding would be good.
I did some bowl turning with mine, but when got a good Christmas bonus one year, upgraded to Powermatic 3520.
Thanks again to clarify how to use the DVR motor to 10er and warnings.

Bob
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Skip's controllers are in the $500 range for the 10ER. Why would anyone want to go 2+ for the same thing? Maybe constant torque but is seems like a lot of money that turners have not had since turning was invented 100's (thousands?) of years ago. The 10ER is a great lathe but it is not a big Oneway or Powermatic.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

jsburger wrote:Skip's controllers are in the $500 range for the 10ER. Why would anyone want to go 2+ for the same thing? Maybe constant torque but is seems like a lot of money that turners have not had since turning was invented 100's (thousands?) of years ago. The 10ER is a great lathe but it is not a big Oneway or Powermatic.
2k+ for the same thing? Hardley. I have a 10er, mark V and a a powerpro. I can turn on all of them. They don’t compare to my small Delta, let alone My Powermatic. There is more to a lathe than the motor. I find as important is a moveable tailstock and a good banjo system, neither available on a shopsmith. I will say that at least the 10er tool rest is fairly strong, unlike the Mark V and powerpro’s.
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
BobCoates1953
Gold Member

Post by BobCoates1953 »

ChrisNeilan wrote:
jsburger wrote:Skip's controllers are in the $500 range for the 10ER. Why would anyone want to go 2+ for the same thing? Maybe constant torque but is seems like a lot of money that turners have not had since turning was invented 100's (thousands?) of years ago. The 10ER is a great lathe but it is not a big Oneway or Powermatic.
2k+ for the same thing? Hardley. I have a 10er, mark V and a a powerpro. I can turn on all of them. They don’t compare to my small Delta, let alone My Powermatic. There is more to a lathe than the motor. I find as important is a moveable tailstock and a good banjo system, neither available on a shopsmith. I will say that at least the 10er tool rest is fairly strong, unlike the Mark V and powerpro’s.
Don't want to beat this topic to death, but I was basing my question on the price I saw here http://striatech.mybigcommerce.com/ at 549. Not being a expert, don't know if this is complete or what the NEMA legs would add to price. Thought that this would be in line with Skips prices. Just thinking outside box.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I created this thread for the discussion of a DVR Motor application on a 10ER (Not to promote or discourage a DVR Motor for 10E /10ER per-se)

For the benefit of those who are not familiar with Skip or the offerings of MKC Tools for the 10E 10ER, or the value of his offerings I include an example from: http://www.mkctools.com/

Skip Campbell owns MKC Tools and I have had the privilege to visit his home and his shop here in Texas.

Skip is a fine Christian man, honorable and honest in all my dealings with him.

He has contributed more to the 10E / 10ER community in modern times as anyone I know.

This was extracted today. Accordingly, cost and availability are as they would be today and subject to change.

Equally, I am Not promoting or discouraging MKC Tools offerings for 10E /10ER

The citation I provided is informational toward the discussion in the cost, value and benefits of a potential Striatech DVR Motor compared to other options.

Among us are a number of very qualified people capable of fabrication of a variety of options, and any one of them might decide to do this conversion, just for the knowledge and experience. That's what we are all about here. Sharing our knowledge and experience with each other.

I also have added an exploded parts variation PDF of a Sample DVR Motor that is used in other applications such as some versions of the Nova lathe.

I ask those of you familiar with the Shopsmith Power Pro motor sensors to pay particular attention to items 21, 24, 25 and 26 where the sensor is mounted.

Dust tends to get into the Shopsmith in this area (RP0 and other errors), but this design has it inward facing, sealed with an adhesive gasket and cover plate.
MKC Tools options for 10ER (one of several).png
MKC Tools options for 10ER (one of several).png (1021.8 KiB) Viewed 13006 times
Sample DVR Motor.pdf
(558.79 KiB) Downloaded 1481 times
I would love to see where this discussion goes over time.

Everett
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Sorry Everett, back on target!
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
BobCoates1953
Gold Member

Post by BobCoates1953 »

Everett,
Thank you for the excellent comparison of the two choices. I hope it will benefit anyone who wants to upgrade a 10er.
The intent of the original comment was to see if the DVR type would work on a 10er since most of the comments were related to later shopsmith.
Your analysis and expertise on the motors again was excellent.

Thanks again

Bob
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

$635 for Skip's 1 HP DC motor vs $549 for a 1.75 HP DVR motor (2 HP if you run it on 220) frames the discussion in a more level playing field.

Even if you did not pursue the base mounts and used two pieces of angle iron to hang it from the sides as the Power Pro mount in a Mark V headstock,secure mounting could be done.

Everett
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

For those interested further in this subject you might consider joining the Shopsmith Digital Motor Conversions Facebook Group which is not limited to 10E and 10ER but includes Mark 5 : Mark V

Everett

https://www.facebook.com/groups/shopsmi ... ?ref=share