Sometimes a 4-Inch Drum Sander is just the ticket

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

nuhobby
Platinum Member

Sometimes a 4-Inch Drum Sander is just the ticket

Post by nuhobby »

And you probably have one! Strip sander, that is...

I was refurbishing a very old cross-peen / riveting / tinsmith hammer. The new hickory handle is very taut, and has a nice curve faired-in with the help of the strip sander:
4 Inch Drum Sander.JPG
4 Inch Drum Sander.JPG (98.44 KiB) Viewed 19944 times
Old Hammer New Handle.JPG
Old Hammer New Handle.JPG (140.4 KiB) Viewed 19944 times

Happy woodworking!

Chris
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Sometimes a 4-Inch Drum Sander is just the ticket

Post by JPG »

Nicely done! :)

Now why is fairing desirable? :confused:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:Nicely done! :)

Elegance and esthetics. That was important back in the old days. I remember the old days (not too old :eek: ) as I am sure you do. :D :D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:Nicely done! :)

Elegance and esthetics. That was important back in the old days. I remember the old days (not too old :eek: ) as I am sure you do. :D :D
Plus 1 :)
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I unnerstan the reason for fairing on a boat hull, but a hammer handle? :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

The taper in the handle feels "right" for how some hammers get used. Sometimes the operator wants to "choke up" toward the head for a bit more control (and less power), so a narrower section helps with that.

The other cool thing is having a smooth, oil finish. Typical thick factory varnish can be abrasive to the hands.

If you haven't put a new handle on a hammer, I recommend trying it! It's really satisfying, particularly if the factory handle has come loose some.

Chris
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Chris said
If you haven't put a new handle on a hammer, I recommend trying it! It's really satisfying, particularly if the factory handle has come loose some.
It's also a great way to save an old hammer head you may not be able to replace with a new one.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.