Woodworking bench

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Vidyshan
Bronze Member

Woodworking bench

Post by Vidyshan »

I have spent the last two days tearing out old shelving and workbench and getting ready to build (or maybe buy) a good woodworking workbench https://mechanicguides.com/best-woodworking-bench/. I am wondering if anyone would like to share their opinion on design and features of a good workbench. Photos would be nice too :D .
Best Regards,
Aaron.
Last edited by Vidyshan on Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Woodworking bench

Post by garys »

Actual design should depend on the area and space you have available. Only you can decide what fits best.

The most important feature is a good wood vise. Without that, it is just a table.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Here is a link to a thread showing the workbench that I built.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/begin ... 12550.html

Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Benches are pretty personal choices. Some guys like traditional models, some like the furniture look, others want lots of dog holes, T tracks, custom clamps. Then comes vises there are probably a hundred different types in various sizes and shapes.
Lately I am seeing more and more MTF tables that have specially spaced dog holes that enable you to use various clamps, spacers, guides, etc.

I built my bench using the traditional style with tool tray both front and shoulder vise. Spent a ton of time and money. I regret it now. I wish I had built a Multi Function Table type unit. Much more versatile and easily adaptable as your wood working interest changes.

Truth be told most work benches end up as storage places, places to put stuff when you do not know what else to do with it. Most guys end up using a more versatile Multi Function Table, be it a Kreg, Rockler, Festool, Paulik type, or one of the many others out there.

I think you need to sit down and decide a few things, what type of wood working do you do? What type of wood working would you like to do? Your age and physical condition? Sit or stand.
What do you really want something to work on? Or impress your buddies, some complicated to build, something with the latest bells and whistles, something movable or something you need a wrecker to move. Vises or not vises, t tracks or no t tracks.

You might want to build something where you can mount a anvil type vise, be large enough to set a lawn mower and be sturdy enough to pound the crap out of that lawn mower and store all the junk in your garage, that you can then shove off and put the lawn mower up there and pound the crap out of it. Then go build your wood working table/bench/clamping station.
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

I have to agree with Ed.

So much of workbench choice has to do with expected/preferred type of work.

I made a joiner's bench similar to Ron's above and base don the Paul Seller's bench. 5 feet in length and not quite as deep. (smaller space and I tend to work on smaller projects)

I also shifted away from power tool wood working to mostly hand tools so my bench does get used as a bench.

I also use the crap out of my re-built many times B&D work mate (due for new tops yet again) I have had that thing for 35 years this Christmas and it has traveled the world with me. What a beast of a workhorse!

I also have some rolling cabinets I can use as work tops for lighter things.

How ever you decide to go I do recommend building rather than buying and personalize it to your needs.

All of my cabinets and work benches (except the workmate) are shop built. I have never understood purchasing a workbench.
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

I'll also agree with Ed, with the caveat that if you think you'll be doing traditional woodworking (e.g. hand planing boards, chopping out mortices, etc.), then a traditional bench is great. I do some of that, and my ugly, jury-rigged workbench is designed with that in mind. I kind of threw it together 25 years ago, and It's worked great for me. Keep in mind for traditional woodworking the bench should be lower than what you'd otherwise want.

As I see it, there's no need to come up with the ultimate solution right now. Throw something together and see how it doesn't meet your needs. Your second effort will be much better.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

If you don't know what you want, you might consider the bench Harbor Freight sells. You can't build one equal to it for the price they sell theirs.
https://www.harborfreight.com/60-in-4-d ... 62603.html
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

For me the workbench is something to abuse. I drill into it, saw on it and cut holes for clamps into it. It also has to be pretty flat as I use it as a base for laminating. I prefer to use either a double thick or triple thick table top of 3/4” particle board. After a year or so you can flip it over and have a brand new work surface. I don’t glue the layers together so each can be flipped to the top and give me years of new surfaces. I screw the layers together with dry wall screws, drill a 3/8 through hole next to each screw and glue a dowel in. After the glue dries remove all the screws. You don’t want saw blades or router bits hitting a screw. When it comes time to flip the piece I use a 7/16” Brad point bit and drill out the dowels and repeat the process. The most important part is to build a rock sturdy base. Don’t use green lumber. It will warp when dry and your table top will not be flat. The kiln dried 2X4’s from HD work very well.
Paul
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

through the years I have used and built several different benches ,some like tables ,a few had vices , some were no more then saw horses and plywood , some were 2x6 with a 2x4 top ,one or two small ones actually folded up and mounted to the wall I really like the one Paul Sellers made ,, regardless of the bench you decide on ,,,a rubber floor mat is worth its weight , case in point I have a stanley 220 plane that was made circa 1800's , it dropped on the concrete floor and broke the cap lock , finally found a replacement , I cant tell ya how many times I resharpened chisels because they dropped on the floor .not only that they keep your feet off the cold floor .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)