Just bought a Mark 2

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Just bought a Mark 2

Post by chapmanruss »

From post 252880 you said:
The Model 10 Lower Guard I have is cast Aluminum I believe.
Is their a question here?
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
amboyna
Gold Member

Post by amboyna »

I was answering this statement you made in post 253499:
I understand, why do you think I have one.
Do we have a Who's on first? situation?
Shopsmith 10E S/N 5804 restored.
Shopsmith 10ER S/N R39267; purchased 10-10-50 in San Francisco.
Bruce Brenner
http://www.vintagepbks.com/shopsmith.html
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

amboyna wrote:I was answering this statement you made in post 253499:
I understand, why do you think I have one.
Do we have a Who's on first? situation?
I think we have a continuity of thought situation.

Add in a smidgen of referring to posts far further back.

All that can(likely) be eliminated by actually quoting the post rather that referring to it by number.(quoting as I did above by clicking on the link that appears at the bottom of every post next to the post a reply link.)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Back at the beginning of page 2 I posted a picture of the Base and Tie which on other Shopsmiths would be the Headrest and Tie Bar. I commented after the picture
Does the Mark 7 come to mind? It looks like if you change the Base and Arm to the Base and Tie, move the Headrest end in 3-1/2" like the base end and cut off 3-1/2" from the Way Tubes you would have a Double Tilt Mark 2.
JPG followed up that with this
Assuming your dimensions are correct, yes. And the lack of pinion gear and rack on the table mounting posts also makes a possible under table rout/shaping, but there is still the speed inadequacy.

I do not know if reversing the table places the table cutout(insert hole) correctly.

Yes another precursor of Mark 7 and 5xx stuff.
Today I had a little time and checked out reversing the table. The Spindle does line up correctly. Additional speeds can be had by adding different size pulleys although not practical for getting high enough speeds for shaping or routing. A 6" pulley is the largest that would fit on the motor and with an 1-1/2" on the drive sleeve it would still be slower than a Mark V (6900 vs. 7000 RPM's).

Below is an interesting example of one I have seen for sale.
2.jpg
2.jpg (158.01 KiB) Viewed 19066 times
Adds slower speeds for lathe work.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I understand there are a number of Mark 2's still out there and many can be restored to use.

Recently another new Mark 2 Owner sent me a copy of a Mark 2 Manual which I restored and retouched. Subsequently, Russ acquired one with an even more pristine manual (with more parts pages) that he is working to send me when he can so I may restore it.

You can find the restored Mark 2 manual in the Mark 2 folder on My Google Drive which you will find the link to in this post. Since data may move sources from time to time, use the My Google Drive link in that post as it is the ONLY place I update changes.

You will find it at http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 90#p185690

I have attached a scan of the page from Montgomery Ward 52-53 catalog that shows the guard.
Montgomery Wards 52-53 Power Tool Catalog Shopsmith 10ER Lower Saw Guard.jpg
Montgomery Wards 52-53 Power Tool Catalog Shopsmith 10ER Lower Saw Guard.jpg (130.05 KiB) Viewed 19024 times
I have also attached a photo of a 10E / 10ER lower saw guard, and one of the early Mark V saw guard from that period. You can see the family resemblance before they moved to the round vacuum port.

You can also see the two versions of the 10E / 10ER upper belt guard and the elusive lower belt guard.
500 upper and lower saw guard 01.jpg
500 upper and lower saw guard 01.jpg (564.83 KiB) Viewed 19024 times
500 upper and lower saw guard 02.jpg
500 upper and lower saw guard 02.jpg (520.73 KiB) Viewed 19024 times
Everett
Attachments
lower saw guard 11.jpg
lower saw guard 11.jpg (50.64 KiB) Viewed 19024 times
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

everettdavis wrote:I understand there are a number of Mark 2's still out there and many can be restored to use.

Recently another new Mark 2 Owner sent me a copy of a Mark 2 Manual which I restored and retouched. Subsequently, Russ acquired one with an even more pristine manual (with more parts pages) that he is working to send me when he can so I may restore it.

You can find the restored Mark 2 manual in the Mark 2 folder on My Google Drive which you will find the link to in this post. Since data may move sources from time to time, use the My Google Drive link in that post as it is the ONLY place I update changes.

You will find it at http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 90#p185690

I have attached a scan of the page from Montgomery Ward 52-53 catalog that shows the guard.
Montgomery Wards 52-53 Power Tool Catalog Shopsmith 10ER Lower Saw Guard.jpg

I have also attached a photo of a 10E / 10ER lower saw guard, and one of the early Mark V saw guard from that period. You can see the family resemblance before they moved to the round vacuum port.

You can also see the two versions of the 10E / 10ER upper belt guard and the elusive lower belt guard.

500 upper and lower saw guard 01.jpg
500 upper and lower saw guard 02.jpg

Everett
I am willing to pay a reasonable premium price for either the Model 10 lower saw guard or the motor pulley guard shown in the last picture. PM me if you have one you want to sell.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

John those are not mine. I have even tried to locate someone who can help me me make a positive mold so I can have cast aluminum replicas made. They are scarce for certain. Not valuable, just scarce.

I haven’t made that connection yet.

Everett
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

everettdavis wrote:John those are not mine. I have even tried to locate someone who can help me me make a positive mold so I can have cast aluminum replicas made. They are scarce for certain. Not valuable, just scarce.

I haven’t made that connection yet.

Everett
I thought as much. I didn't word my post very well. It was supposed to be a general statement to anyone who had them.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT