1st SS! Neused MkV Video - Bearings, belt, lube, all 3?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: 1st SS! Neused MkV Video - Bearings, belt, lube, all 3?

Post by reible »

faultedgeologist wrote:
$2.3k for just the PowerPro headstock?!? Time to get rebuilding...
Or just get the do it yourself version since you have your headstock apart already.

Also if you have a demo near you they have special pricing if you attend.

Get out the old pad of paper and pencil and see just how much the repairs will be costing and then how much the powerpro diy unit costs........ pretty much everything inside will be new then.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The quill pinion gear looks serviceable to me.

The way tube bores will likely clean up nicely(I consider the fit non-critical).

Yes repairing will be cheaper.

Actually I am glad the control sheave bearing is seized. The control sheave keyway is likely tapered and the reason for the excessive clanking.

Lets see new- speed control/idler shaft/control sheave/eccentric. Gee almost a new machine! :cool:

Before thee get too discouraged, consider the fact that this old gray mare IS restorable.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

reible wrote:
faultedgeologist wrote:
$2.3k for just the PowerPro headstock?!? Time to get rebuilding...
Or just get the do it yourself version since you have your headstock apart already.

Also if you have a demo near you they have special pricing if you attend.

Get out the old pad of paper and pencil and see just how much the repairs will be costing and then how much the powerpro diy unit costs........ pretty much everything inside will be new then.

Ed
Yep the PP upgrade includes new drive sleeve, new idler shaft etc., new two bearing quill, and a greatly different motor.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
faultedgeologist
Silver Member

Post by faultedgeologist »

I am beginning to think this was an assemblage of broken parts with the 1981 serial and parts mated with the ?-85ish-? gray spatter paint finish.

25 - Motor sheaves looked good at first. It was really difficult to pull the outer sheave off, then saw the bent key. How does this happen? Is crud building up underneath it and ripping the key out of the sheave? About to find out.

26 - Closeup of the broken sheave shaft. I'm assuming this needs replaced.

27 - Motor shaft key is bent outwards. Same here.

ISO: New key and sheaves. Would one recommend used vs new or vv? Fraggle rock!
Attachments
25 - Motor sheaves
25 - Motor sheaves
shopsmith-mkv-motor-sheave-25.JPG (358.92 KiB) Viewed 9622 times
26 - broken sheave shaft
26 - broken sheave shaft
shopsmith-mkv-motor-sheave-26.JPG (303.33 KiB) Viewed 9622 times
27 - bent motor shaft key
27 - bent motor shaft key
shopsmith-mkv-motor-sheave-27.JPG (316.83 KiB) Viewed 9622 times
faultedgeologist
Silver Member

JPG wrote:The quill pinion gear looks serviceable to me. The way tube bores will likely clean up nicely(I consider the fit non-critical). Yes repairing will be cheaper.

Actually I am glad the control sheave bearing is seized. The control sheave keyway is likely tapered and the reason for the excessive clanking.
So the slot on the sheave shafts on both the Idler and Motor systems widens over time and causes movement, vibration, and noise? Could we invent or shoehorn a new CVT to go inside these old machines that works better?

JPG wrote:Lets see new- speed control/idler shaft/control sheave/eccentric. Gee almost a new machine! :cool: Before thee get too discouraged, consider the fact that this old gray mare IS restorable.
Now add the motor sheave parts. The bill just from JA is around $250 for parts, then another order from Shopsmith, plus the speed quadrant assembly from eBay since SS is out of stock on the quadrants... This will be a $1k machine by December, not counting the planer, for those purchasing their first one. Investments. Hopefully.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

For the motor shaft key, I would go to your local hardware store and get 1/8 x 1/8 keystock and cut to length. It has no unusual features.

I think the floating sheave is serviceable unless the keyway is worn making it wider. The height wear should not be an issue.

I am guessing the PO tried to pry the key out of the shaft keyway. It is held in place by the set screw that also secures the fan sheave to the shaft. I also think the PO pryed with the sheave in place.

I think you can go overboard at this point by getting new parts to replace some that are still serviceable. They can be replaced later if they become troublesome.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

faultedgeologist
Silver Member

JPG wrote:For the motor shaft key, I would go to your local hardware store and get 1/8 x 1/8 keystock and cut to length. It has no unusual features.

I think the floating sheave is serviceable unless the keyway is worn making it wider. The height wear should not be an issue.
What would you do to service it? Putting a strap there would be dangerous with a belt. Per the noise from the other parts, if the keyway is damaged it sounds like a bad move to keep using it. I can score a new sheave set for the idler for $65, but the motor sheaves are all attached to motors in the fleabay. Still haven't found the part new from SS, not the most intuitive site.
JPG wrote:I am guessing the PO tried to pry the key out of the shaft keyway. It is held in place by the set screw that also secures the fan sheave to the shaft. I also think the PO pryed with the sheave in place.

I think you can go overboard at this point by getting new parts to replace some that are still serviceable. They can be replaced later if they become troublesome.
Do you rec I just hit the JR rebuild kit and put a new bearing in the end of my old idler sheave? The bearing has a slight wobble and some gooey crunchy going on. I hate spending time on rebuilds with bad equipment; IMHO equipment only has so many rebuilds it will take before it gets sloppy. I'd like to get this running good, then eventually get the PP and use this head for a dedicated function. Here it goes. Any resources for motor sheaves? JA stopped answering emails so I didn't ask there.

EDIT: Found the ordering page I needed:
https://www.shopsmith.com/service/heads ... s_list.htm
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

IF 'running good' the the objective new parts is the path.

By being 'servicable' I meant usable.

What I would use to determine replacing the movable sheaves is the amount of wear to the key slot and/or the bore. Backlash on the shaft/wobble on the shaft.

JR rebuild kit?

Who/what is JA.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

faultedgeologist
Silver Member

JPG wrote:IF 'running good' the the objective new parts is the path.

What I would use to determine replacing the movable sheaves is the amount of wear to the key slot and/or the bore. Backlash on the shaft/wobble on the shaft.

JR rebuild kit?

Who/what is JA.
Sorry, Jacob Anderson, the jacobs-repairshop site with the majority of the quality videos I've found outside ?Doug and some others focusing on use.

Thanks. Trying to find the best way out with lots of push and pull financially and with time, etc.

EDIT: And still trying to reconcile the mothership with the bolt hole for the modern eccentric safety washer, with all old and broken parts inside it. Am I on the right track?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

faultedgeologist wrote:
JPG wrote:IF 'running good' the the objective new parts is the path.

JR rebuild kit?

Who/what is JA.
Sorry, Jacob Anderson, the jacobs-repairshop site with the majority of the quality videos I've found outside ?Doug and some others focusing on use.

Thanks. Trying to find the best way out with lots of push and pull financially and with time, etc.

EDIT: And still trying to reconcile the mothership with the bolt hole for the modern eccentric safety washer, with all old and broken parts inside it. Am I on the right track?
In order to answer that I need details of what that is. If you are getting a new idler shaft/bearings, the new eccentric is necessary as is the added screw.

In any event do not over tighten the headstock clamp that secures the eccentric.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝