Total Shop using Shopsmith Bandsaw?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Morrowood
Bronze Member

Total Shop using Shopsmith Bandsaw?

Post by Morrowood »

Hello,
I'm new to the forum and just recently bought a Total Shop woodworking machine at garage sale from two brothers who's father had recently passed. This was their father's machine and they told me they wanted to sell to a good home. I was pretty happy to bring to home but didn't realize it was out of manufacturing till I looked it up. I read the company did a bad thing and got caught by Shopsmith and soon was out of business... lol! Anyways I've been watching youtubes and reading this forum last few days. I've read some info about some parts are compatible with Shopsmiths but wasn't clear if i could buy a Shopsmith bandsaw and put it on this Total Shop unit. I would really appreciate any help or guidance.
Thanks!
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Total Shop using Shopsmith Bandsaw?

Post by chapmanruss »

Hi and welcome to the forum. The SPT posts are 1-1/4" in diameter and the spacing of the posts is 7" on center. SPT stands Special Purpose Tool like the Band Saw. Using the Band Saw Eccentric Mounting Tubes shown below you would be able to make some adjustment if the total shop has a different spacing for the posts. Sorry I do not know very much about the clone machines and what is different in size vs. what is the same size.
EccentricTubes.jpg
EccentricTubes.jpg (9.56 KiB) Viewed 14303 times
If you find a Mark V at a good price that is complete I recommend buying it.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
bob84
Gold Member

Post by bob84 »

To me this is a very helpful post, here on the forum, concerning the Total Shop.
http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/commu ... t3024.html
Shoestrings
Bronze Member

Post by Shoestrings »

I find myself her for a few reasons
1st is I’ve always wanted to own a SS.
As my brother has one and has made some amazing things with it over the years.

2nd is , lol. I got me a $40.00 knock off the other week.
Yes it’s a total shop. It only Had a drill chuck with It. And no key
To work the chuck.
The variable speed broke the 2nd time I ran it, so I had to fix that.
Installed a SS unit and it fit like a glove.
I’m happy to say with some more great bargains
From EBay and market place. I Now have A unit that is running a SS bandsaw,
SS plainer and SS jigsaw. I have taken the table to work and use a Bridgeport to open up the slides to accept the SS miter gauge.
So yes if you find one of these knock offs you will find That they take the real attachments. There’s a reason they are no longer in Business.
There copied everything accept the Miter gauge slot.
Murphy’s Law
Looking for all the attachments I needed
I found a great deal on a 1992 shopsmith and the guy had a total shop band saw on his
So I now own one and a back up