"found" wood question

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dlbristol
Platinum Member

"found" wood question

Post by dlbristol »

One of our renters left a wooden bed frame when he left. It was a cheap pine frame, but one of the 2x8 sides has what looks like a " birds eye" pattern in it. I had a wreck with the photo, but i think I can get one soon. Is there such a thing as Birdseye pine? I have never seen anything like this! The board is about 8 feet long and I think when it is dry ( he left it outside) I could re-saw it into thinner boards. Thoughts and suggestions.
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Re: "found" wood question

Post by nuhobby »

I did snag a birds-eye-pattern "found" pine board one time. I don't have a great picture, but I have seen others find them too. There is probably a better nomenclature, but I think your term is fine. Enjoy it!

Chris
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Does it look like the wood in this post?

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/gene ... 19120.html

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

A quick internet search using the term "birds eye pine" turned up some interesting discussion, including the following:

The Wood Database site has this to say about Lodgepole Pine-

Color/Appearance: Heartwood is light reddish/yellowish brown, sapwood is yellowish white. Heartwood color tends to be paler than Ponderosa Pine, and isn’t always clearly demarcated from the sapwood. Lodgepole Pine commonly has pronounced dimples on flatsawn surfaces, (which are vaguely similar in overall appearance to Birdseye Maple). Such figure can help distinguish Lodgepole Pine from most other pines which lack this feature, with the exception of Ponderosa, Jeffrey, and Jack Pine, which also have similar—though usually less pronounced—dimpling.

So maybe what you have is "dimpled" Lodgepole Pine. Would be good to see a photo of the board. I have come across pieces of soft wood with "birds-eye" like figuring now and then and never really knew what it was. Apparently it is not true "birds eye", which is a term that seems only to apply to hard woods, especially maple.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
dlbristol
Platinum Member

Post by dlbristol »

Yes! that is it. My piece has more and smaller " eyes" but that is what mine looks like. I have not been able to get a good photo of it, and your link is better than any I have right now. I am pretty sure this is " pine" as all the other parts are clearly pine. It is soft like pine and except for the figure, it looks like pine. There is a small knot at one end that is exactly what I would expect in a pine board. Sense it was left outside, I have stickered it between some other dry stock and will let it dry out before I try to do anything with it.