lathe chuck adapter

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ralphtaff
Gold Member

lathe chuck adapter

Post by ralphtaff »

can you get only the adapter for the ss for like the oneway chuck? does it fit other chucks or do you have to buy a oneway chuck only? the reason i ask is i think i know where i can get a chuck but do not know if i can use it or not on the shopsmith. any advise or information will be helpful. thanks in advance.:confused: :confused:
mlettini
Silver Member

Lathe Chuck adapter

Post by mlettini »

Penn State sells the adapter for the Shopsmith.
ralphtaff
Gold Member

Post by ralphtaff »

OK what is penn state? i do not get out much so that answer did no no good. I must be slow or just a county hick so help me out some more. My main question was after you have the adapter can it be used on any chuck or does it have to be used on a ONEWAY only?:confused:
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

Many chuck vendors sell adapters for the Shopsmith and you can purchase a 5/8" female adapter to most standard chuck sizes from both US and Chinese sources. I have a 1" x 8 TPI adapter that I purchased from a US source that is very high precision, it was about $45.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
mlettini
Silver Member

Lateh Check Adapter

Post by mlettini »

Sorry for the brief answer. Penn States Industry is a woodturning mail order catalog. They sell an adapter that fits the 5/8th shaft of the shipsmith. This allows you to attach most of the hogher end chucks. It sells for about $15.00
ralphtaff
Gold Member

Post by ralphtaff »

thanks Paul for the information. now explain the 1inch and 8tpi i do not know as much as i thought i did. I am just starting turning after about 30 years of not doing it. back then a lot was not available and i started out on an old treddle sowing machine converted over to a wood lathe.The ss has opened up a whole new world to me after wanting one for about 40 years. i seen a video on turning a flower and i done that back then, only i did not know that was what it was called. i just made them for the kids to play with. of course i was just a kid back then also. one of my uncles showed me how to turn the flower then he was killed:( so i just made them cause i knew how:cool: LONG STORY) so any help as far as information on how the wide chuck works and so on will be appreciated.
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

1in. diameter; 8 threads per inch ----- thread specs. for the chuck or the adapter.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
ralphtaff
Gold Member

Post by ralphtaff »

OK i am stupid. What i understand is if i get the adapter it will fit the 5/8 arbor on the ss, the other end has thread on it. Is that correct? What size? Do i have to match the thread size to the chuck? Does the chuck thread on to the lathe/adapter? I have the ring master for the ss. I have made a few bowls. Some with the arbor that came with the ring master but i did not like the hole in the middle of the bowl so i use the 3inch faceplate for the ss and use carpet tape on it it works great.The first two came off the face plate then i did some research and found the tape is pressure sensitive so i now clamp the faceplate for a few minutes then it works real good. I found that if you clamp it for a few hours it becomes a bear to get it to let go. I seen some vids that showed the clamp to hold the turning on and it looked like a good thing for hollowing and such.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

I recently bought the Talon chuck from SS and the adapter came with it. No threads on it, it fits on just like the Jacobs chuck to the shaft. The other end is screwed to the chuck.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

ralphtaff wrote:thanks Paul for the information. now explain the 1inch and 8tpi i do not know as much as i thought i did.

Each lathe has a different way to mount the chuck, the Shopsmith uniquely has a 5/8" male studd, other popular lathes have 1" x 8 TPI or 1-1/4" x 8 TPI or lots of other sizes.

Chucks mostly accept adapters from an internal thread to a "standard" thread.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC