Problems getting my order

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: Problems getting my order

Post by reible »

Do keep in mind that this forum is loosely monitored by shopsmith so when you complain here it may go unnoticed by shopsmith. So if you have issues you really need to take them up with shopsmith. If need be try talking to the big man himself.

I have a feeling they have no idea just how bad things are. We do because we keep seeing all the flack that is posted here.

I personally have not had any orders going in of late but I'm trying to back on the mailing list for "specials" and so far that has not gone well. I've also again lost my order history........

Anyway things are really looking dark at present time but I hope they can get their act together again, I just hope this will not result in them shutting their doors.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Banjo
Bronze Member

Post by Banjo »

FYI I finally received my order. I looked on line Thurs 7-19-18 and saw a tracking number. After checking it was called in at 11:28 am. I called Shopsmith back and talked to the same manager I spoke with Monday (He assured me the Item was shipped on the 13th). He looked at told me I would probably get two of the order and ask if I would let them know. So after our conversation Thursday I have decided that customer service is not the ones lying, it is the shipping dept lying to them. Saturday I received the order that was shipped Thurs (very fast). I have no expectations that the one shipped last Friday (yeah right) will ever get here.

Thanks for letting me vent, I guess I will keep the shopsmith for now.
mark4387
Bronze Member

Post by mark4387 »

On July 14, 2018 I ordered the universal lathe tool rest with accessories. I was told it was on backorder. In the last couple of months I have left Shopsmith three voicemails, because no ever answers the phone and sent three emails. If they are not going to deliver, I just want my money back. I'm beginning to regret buying a Shopsmith because of their poor customer service.

Mark
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mark4387 wrote:On July 14, 2018 I ordered the universal lathe tool rest with accessories. I was told it was on backorder. In the last couple of months I have left Shopsmith three voicemails, because no ever answers the phone and sent three emails. If they are not going to deliver, I just want my money back. I'm beginning to regret buying a Shopsmith because of their poor customer service.

Mark
There be three things 'wrong' with that post.

They do not answer phone?

Since they do not actually charge a credit card until item is shipped what is there to return(money). Now if you used a debit card, . . .

I agree responding to e-mails would be helpful.

If all is true however, SS has a severe problem!!!!!! :eek:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I also ordered the Universal Tool Rest package in July. When ordered,they had published a delay and expected shipping date of early August. I have called several times and been given promises that it would ship within two weeks. They were waiting on one more piece. BULL. The excuses are different every time. It is now October!
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
jle
Gold Member

Post by jle »

I ordered the Kreg Bandsaw Fence about two years ago. It stayed on back order for over a year, then I was told they no longer carried that item. I paid with a Visa gift card, so I was charged at the time of order. A few months later, someone from Shopsmith called and said I had a credit due to the cancelled item. The amount of the credit was less that what I paid, which I pointed out. He said he would research it and get back to me. Never heard from them again. Take away message, do not use anything but a credit card to pay for an order.
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

ChrisNeilan wrote:I also ordered the Universal Tool Rest package in July. When ordered,they had published a delay and expected shipping date of early August. I have called several times and been given promises that it would ship within two weeks. They were waiting on one more piece. BULL. The excuses are different every time. It is now October!
It looks like we have movement. My order status has changed, but my credit card has not yet been charged (unless I used the home credit card by mistake :eek: ). Can't tell if it is actually out the door yet...
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
Shawn
Silver Member

Post by Shawn »

Not wanting to dig up an old post, but I tried to find a relevant topic. I have also had issues with my orders from Shopsmith. I bought a used 520 about a year ago. I have been slowly buying up upgrades and also service parts and extra attachments for my machine. I purchased new the biscuit joiner and the strip sander, but mostly have used the site for proprietary service items and manuals. Let's just say I have had to work real hard to give Shopsmith my money. Sometimes it takes forever to ship, I don't receive everything in my order, and I don't even get what I order. My most recent experience I ordered bandsaw blades and the new plastic cover with sight glass and dust port that was on sale. The plastic cover didn't ship, but everything else did at the end of May. I figured they partially filled the order to get some cash flow for end of month, and that the cover was just a backorder (my order stated it was a possible 10 day lead time service item). I called and left a message to get my return phone call that never came to check the status of the cover. Called again and was informed I never ordered it. I said I can email them the email confirmation showing my order. They weren't interested and insisted it was an online order and I did not order it . The total was about $180. I printed a copy of my order and also received the email confirmation. I was billed about $120. They said they could send me the cover and with shipping it would be about $80.

So, I get to spend an extra $20 on something I already ordered. So I'm not here to complain, but to give my concern. I am originally from Dayton and really have wanted to support the company. I don't think most new users would have the patience that I have or that some of the die hards do. I just want to voice my concerns and bring awareness that I am worried that Shopsmith is going to lose "new" customers like me.
Mark V 520 Table System with Jointer, Band saw, Planer, Strip Sander, Biscuit Joiner and DC3300 Dust Collector. DeWalt palm sander, Ryobi 12" sliding miter saw, and hopefully many more items to come.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Shawn wrote:Not wanting to dig up an old post, but I tried to find a relevant topic. I have also had issues with my orders from Shopsmith. I bought a used 520 about a year ago. I have been slowly buying up upgrades and also service parts and extra attachments for my machine. I purchased new the biscuit joiner and the strip sander, but mostly have used the site for proprietary service items and manuals. Let's just say I have had to work real hard to give Shopsmith my money. Sometimes it takes forever to ship, I don't receive everything in my order, and I don't even get what I order. My most recent experience I ordered bandsaw blades and the new plastic cover with sight glass and dust port that was on sale. The plastic cover didn't ship, but everything else did at the end of May. I figured they partially filled the order to get some cash flow for end of month, and that the cover was just a backorder (my order stated it was a possible 10 day lead time service item). I called and left a message to get my return phone call that never came to check the status of the cover. Called again and was informed I never ordered it. I said I can email them the email confirmation showing my order. They weren't interested and insisted it was an online order and I did not order it . The total was about $180. I printed a copy of my order and also received the email confirmation. I was billed about $120. They said they could send me the cover and with shipping it would be about $80.

So, I get to spend an extra $20 on something I already ordered. So I'm not here to complain, but to give my concern. I am originally from Dayton and really have wanted to support the company. I don't think most new users would have the patience that I have or that some of the die hards do. I just want to voice my concerns and bring awareness that I am worried that Shopsmith is going to lose "new" customers like me.
Shawn,

I can certainly empathize. I have posted here on a few different threads about my struggles with orders the past 6 months (see some thread links below). I have been a Shopsmith user for 3 decades and owner for 2 decades. I haven't used it 100% during this time (off and on use), because at times my career required 70-80 hours/week out of me...leaving little left for me to go out in the shop. Having come back to it in the last year, I have ordered a few odd parts and some accessories directly from Shopsmith. Often it was me taking advantage of a Shopsmith weekly promotional sale to finally purchase accessory items, etc. So, having placed about a dozen orders in 6 months time, I know exactly what you are talking about. I have ranted plenty on other threads here, so I am going to try not to do it again. What I will say though is that you need to keep good records of your orders. Often my orders got shifted around, for example combining backorders together, etc. Just during the backorder time, prices would change and I would billed the new price on shipment, even though I had an invoice with a lower price on placing the order. Similarly, I have placed weekly sale orders, but when the item got merged onto another order by Shopsmith, the sale price went away. I even had the freebie sanding block that Shopsmith likes to add to orders for free get moved with order shuffling and all of a sudden I was being billed for their freebie that I didn't even ask for or want. So, it pays to be diligent with your orders and keep great records. All said and done though, Shopsmith has taken care of everything for me, but it did take a considerable amount of time staying on the phone with them. I don't have a Facebook account, but I have seen a few other users get quick replies to order snafus by posting on the Shopsmith Customer Service group on Facebook. They seem to have setup that Facebook group to do some self promotion, but also to field customer concerns when orders, unfortunately fall through the cracks. It might be worth checking out, if you are on Facebook.

I did receive wisdom from a few seasoned members of this forum that helped to put it into perspective for me...Remember your Mark V was designed about 6 decades ago, so just getting parts from a company on a machine this old is a miracle in and of itself. I know Shopsmith isn't perfect, but they are doing the best they can with a very small staff of employees. I have to remind myself of this when I place an order, so that I keep gratitude in perspective. I am grateful that they are still in business and that I can still obtain the parts that I need. Please hang in there, and I hope what I have shared helps give some perspective on Shopsmith orders and customer service recently (past 6 months).

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/main ... 22592.html

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... er#p258691

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... er#p258731
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I don't totally agree with all of JPGs assertions but I do believe that many of the complaints aired here on the forum are grossly overstated (probably out of frustration) while at the same time misdirected. These problems can not be resolved on the forum; contact Shopsmith directly.

I have had many opportunities to talk with CS and I find them always helpful and professional. They occasionally tell me things I don't want to hear but I have never suspected that I was being lied to. Things (like delivery dates) sometime happen differently than expected but that does not constitute a lie.

If you do find it necessary to communicate with customer service, I strongly recommend a telephone call (DO NOT rely on email). If you do not have the time to wait for service (when being placed on hold) you are calling at the wrong time.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.