Shopsmith pro planer with stand feed rollers ???

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Tmmoll
Bronze Member

Shopsmith pro planer with stand feed rollers ???

Post by Tmmoll »

So I just picked up a pro planer from Craigslist for $45. I went to start it up, and see the feed rollers are pushing the lumber back instead of into the blade. The guys I got it from stated that it was his fathers, and said he had to force the lumber through. I have been woodworking for a long time, however this is my first planer. Is it possible to have these feed rollers motor wired in reverse? I don’t know if it’s been messed with and wired up incorrectly. Does anyone happen to have wiring diagram for this?
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith pro planer with stand feed rollers ???

Post by dusty »

I do not believe the feed motor is reversible (even if it was wired wrong).

But let us check a couple things. Assumptions get us in trouble here all the time. You said a Pro Planer therefore there is a crank that raises and lowers the lower table. You should be feeding the planer from that same side.

Now with the cover open you can see the outfeed roller. When running, that roller should be pulling anything laying on the table into the planer. That is to say the feed roller is turning such that the bottom of the roller is moving away from the infeed side.

If the rollers are turning the other way, I do not believe you could feed wood into the planer even with force.

As for a wiring diagram, I have never seen one.

Do not apply a great deal of pressure on the work piece. Adjust the table upward just enough to make the work piece contact the feed roller.

Just had a thought. There are teeth that might possibly be installed backward.

With the planer UNPLUGGED, lay the back of your hand on the infeed table and with your fingers locate these teeth. You should be able to push them away from you but not pull them back toward you. Probably not the issue but too easy to check to disregard.

Are the rollers serrated rubber or are they steel. The roller teeth should be reasonably clear of saw dust.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Tmmoll
Bronze Member

Post by Tmmoll »

They are feeding back towards where I am supposed to feed the lumber in. If I feed the wood from the wrong side (blade not running) it feeds perfectly. I have the rubber rollers. It’s like the motor is running in reverse.
Tmmoll
Bronze Member

Post by Tmmoll »

So I took the wiring apart at the main control box, found some corrosion so I cleaned it up, hit the roller motor with a hammer a couple of times, and now it’s rolling the right way. Hmmmm.

I ran a 2x4 through it and have chatter marks. I assume just need a good tune up and some sharp blades.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

[quote="Tmmoll"]So I took the wiring apart at the main control box, found some corrosion so I cleaned it up, hit the roller motor with a hammer a couple of times, and now it’s rolling the right way. Hmmmm.

I ran a 2x4 through it and have chatter marks. I assume just need a good tune up and some sharp blades.[/quote

First, that is good. The next one is a total "what?". The last one is a quadruple Hmmmm.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Hmmmm indeed!

Yes a DC motor will run in reverse with reversed polarity.

However the speed control is NOT a pure DC source.

It is rather a pulsed source(hence the speed control function) that is derived from ac and uses a triac as the controlling device.

I am curious WHAT was corroded and cleaned up.

It may be possible that that corrosion caused a polarity reversal.

I surmise re the need to push stuff through that that polarity reversal was 'weak'.

As for the scallopimg('chattering') too fast feed rate will create that as well as unequal height of the knives.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange