Testing the new trail camera

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Testing the new trail camera

Post by reible »

I set up my new camera for some testing and got this video of a robin taking a bath in our bird bath and really getting in to it. About 50 seconds in a small rabbit appears and gets an unexpected shower.... or did he plan it?

https://youtu.be/d_9NzmPjLSM

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Re: Testing the new trail camera

Post by reible »

A few new videos from our back yard.

In this one a young robin is getting to know our backyard and the bird bath. Seems a bit unsure of how this all works but does manage. Might be more then one bird? Warning long and slow paced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkOHyfg6IWQ

In this video I combined bits and pieces of nights clips. I really liked the raccoon and the possum both checking out the popcorn in the bird bath. Got to keep it interesting for the critters.

https://youtu.be/5soxsZV6fmc

How about bumble bees visiting our chicory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7_cciT ... e=youtu.be

Earlier in the day a humming bird stopped by to do the chicory, have not seen that in real life so the camera caught something new for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzAYpEr ... e=youtu.be

If you don't have time for the rest please at least try and watch this one. A skunk passes by and a rabbit seems quite interested and follows behind. No smell so I guess that went well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inySwlR ... e=youtu.be

So what do you think of the new trail camera?

Ed
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Quite the hotbed of activity in your yard, Ed!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

reible wrote:So what do you think of the new trail camera?
Very cool! We do some light duty bird watching of some yellow crowned night herons nesting in one of our trees. Our watching is sporadic and therefore only occasionally catch the best action, such as feeding time. Can you tell us more about your camera? Brand, type, how is it activated (motion sensor?), outdoor/weatherproof?, memory, resolution/record modes, works in how low of a light level, etc.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

algale wrote:Quite the hotbed of activity in your yard, Ed!
You never know what is going on back there. And remember you are getting only what the camera sees. A few feet away might be a whole other story.

Last night it was just a single visitor by the camera, a cat who came up next to the camera then I think sat down, then walked off to continue its adventure.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

br549 wrote:
reible wrote:So what do you think of the new trail camera?
Very cool! We do some light duty bird watching of some yellow crowned night herons nesting in one of our trees. Our watching is sporadic and therefore only occasionally catch the best action, such as feeding time. Can you tell us more about your camera? Brand, type, how is it activated (motion sensor?), outdoor/weatherproof?, memory, resolution/record modes, works in how low of a light level, etc.
This is my third camera of this type. I've only purchased cheaper model since they can crash, vanish, and all seem to have some good things about them and some bad things.

My first camera stopped taking pictures at night, then for some odd reason started again. Hard to trust but it has been working for quite a while again. It doesn't have audio and it has very bright IR so it tends to wash out images of things. You also can not preview what will be in the shots so it matter of guessing that you have it pointed where you want it.

I got a second camera which has a view screen and a remote. It also has audio but with an annoying built in sound, what's with that??? It also has their logo on every video frame, like free advertising but annoying to me. You also have to have the remote to use it.... so if you don't have it you can do nothing with the camera.

This new camera has power levels for the IR, that was a selling point for me. And with each camera the resolution has gone up. There are good and bad points to that. I should mention the camera does have lower resolution but for me I want the higher resulting. This camera also saves the file as .avi files and the 30 second clips I take produce a file of 149K each. So like I said there are trade offs.

The new camera also has some oddities. For some unknown reason the first video is always ****057, why is that??? It also seems to stop taking video on me the first day, at ***256. That is a flag to me, like maybe a firmware problem? Anyway I would not buy this camera again just because of this.

Now in general, these cameras are made to be outside, they are called trail or sometimes game cameras and of course you can use them in your back yard too. They take a memory card, I use 32GB cards but some can use larger cards. They have a bunch of set up features, way to many to list here but they can do videos and take pictures and do time lapse etc, and some times a mix and match of those.

Some of the cameras have usb ports so you can attach to a computer or laptop to view the images or is you have a card reader you can see the pictures that way and of course save those you want.

All of these cameras have both a heat and movement sensors. Most have at least three settings since things like blowing grass, branches and the like will trigger it and you don't want a bunch of videos with just that.

Most of these have "black" IR leds for the night vision so you don't see the lights being on and I guess the subjects don't either. Some camera give you the option of daytime only, night time only or both. My new one doesn't have this option........ wish it did.

Most of them run off batteries, all the ones I have use 8 AA, this newest camera says you can use LI but I have not tried that yet. Depending on how much recording it does will determine battery life. Most have an off switch, the new camera does not...... you have to pop the battery cover to power it totally off, another negative to me.

Anyway that is a starting point so now you can go to Amazon or where even and do some reading and decide if you want to pop for one.
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

Ed,

Thanks for the primer and info on a type of camera I didn't even know existed! Will definitely look further and do more research now that I know much more about them than before. Please continue to post your wildlife discoveries.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I just saw on the news last night some footage from one of these cameras. The owner had it on a fence post in a wheat field near The Dallas, Oregon. The footage showed a fast moving wildland fire coming toward the camera and pass it. The camera had a little heat/flame damage but survived. The fire moved so quickly past the camera the wood fence post it was attached to was hardly burned.

The footage this camera captured is a good reminder of how fast these fires can travel. This fire was the number one priority last weekend in the US. Today it should be 100 % contained. One farmer died while using his tractor "digging" a fireline on his neighbors field to save the Wheat. Besides the crop a least 4 homes and a lot of out buildings have been lost. As a retired Firefighter I personally know some of the Firefighters working this fire and how one careless act can cause so much destruction and loss. The fire started next to a rural highway and the cause is under investigation.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.