Thor-apy in the Shop

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

nuhobby
Platinum Member

Thor-apy in the Shop

Post by nuhobby »

Not everyone will have watched the Avengers movies, but in a recent one Thor had to get a new hammer. Forging the head was one thing, but then getting a handle was another :)

I've been cleaning up some of my great-grandfather's tools. Putting new hammer handles on a few of them has been very therapeutic. Going from a loose dirty thing to a powerful extension of your arm... so fun!

Here is the latest one.

A sort of metal-working hammer has a smaller, harder-to-find size. Knowing that few woods can do like hickory does, I decided to cut down a stock hickory handle. The SS Bandsaw was used to rough it down to a quasi-octagonal shape:
Handle Candidate.jpg
Handle Candidate.jpg (146.55 KiB) Viewed 8588 times
Roughed_Bandsaw.jpg
Roughed_Bandsaw.jpg (144.11 KiB) Viewed 8588 times

Next was a series of planing and shaving cuts, to get the tip to fit into the head, and fair-out the overall shape. Each trial fit of the head would leave some helpful witness-marks to shave down:
Fairing Octagon.jpg
Fairing Octagon.jpg (158.82 KiB) Viewed 8588 times

After slotting the head for a wedge, the driving-on operation was a lot like "retracting the blade" on a wooden plane. Impulse-smacks on the wood end would make the dense head fit further and further onto the shaft:
Impulse Driving.jpg
Impulse Driving.jpg (145.75 KiB) Viewed 8588 times

After the final wedging and trimming, it was ready for a light oil coat. It feels fantastic!
Oiled Handle.jpg
Oiled Handle.jpg (136.87 KiB) Viewed 8588 times

Happy woodworking!

Chris
charlese
Platinum Member

Re: Thor-apy in the Shop

Post by charlese »

nuhobby wrote:...A sort of metal-working hammer...
Chris
A nice cross pein hammer! Good job Chris! :)
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA