Caster Assembly for Stand Alone Scroll Saw

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Caster Assembly for Stand Alone Scroll Saw

Post by dusty »

Can anyone tell me what is unique about a caster assembly that is meant to be mounted on the "stand alone" scroll saw?

On the 1st of July I placed an online order for 555457 (Scroll Saw Caster Assembly) but have not yet received it (an d now know that I won't). I called to see what was holding up my order. It has not (will not) ship because it is now a discontinued item.

What would I have to do to a standard caster assembly to make it compatible to the Scroll Saw?

Incidentally: I learned with this telephone call that if you place an order that involves a back ordered item that nothing will ship and the online order status may not update to reflect true order status until the back ordered item becomes available. This does not have to be. Customer Service reportedly changed my order status so that those items that are in stock will be shipped as a partial.

I guess this is one way to improve back order status. Just don't declare it.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RonKlein
Gold Member

Re: Caster Assembly for Stand Alone Scroll Saw

Post by RonKlein »

Mounting hardware (spacers. screw lengths).
Ron--K6VPV
510, upgraded to 520, now PowerPro, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, jointmatic, scroll saw, strip sander, pro planer, OPR, DC3300, and more.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

As Ron said it is the mounting hardware I think. I have never seen a set but I made the required mounting adapters from 1/2" (I think) Baltic birch. It was all done by trial and error since I have never seen the real thing but they work perfectly. The scroll saw legs are at a different angle than all the other SS stands/legs. Actually it is the bolt holes I guess due to the thiness of the legs. They will bolt up but the castor stems are not vertical to the floor so they don't rotate properly.

If you want more pictures just let me know.
Attachments
IMAG0166.jpg
IMAG0166.jpg (126.63 KiB) Viewed 8889 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Thanks. I guess I will just have to give it a go and make some brackets. I really want to be able to move the scroll saw around.

In the previous shops I had dedicated locations and the scroll saw hardly ever got moved. Here with the reduction in floor space, there are no dedicated areas.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
joe_cool
Gold Member

Post by joe_cool »

Dusty I just came across this: http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2012/05/03 ... bile-base/

This might be an alternative to the casters for the scroll saw.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

joe_cool wrote:Dusty I just came across this: http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2012/05/03 ... bile-base/

This might be an alternative to the casters for the scroll saw.
Thank you, Joe. That looks to be another very viable solution.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Problem Solved: While wondering around in Home Depot this past week I ran into a display cabinet that was full of all sorts of wheels and casters. It wasn't long until I had four 2" double lock casters in my shopping cart. For less than $8, I now have a rolling scroll saw.

With the casters, the work surface is about 1" - 1 1/2" higher than it was but I can deal with that. When scrolling, I sit on an adjustable height stool.

That saved me several much needed dollars for use elsewhere in my relocation effort.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
joe_cool
Gold Member

Post by joe_cool »

Dusty do you have the part number of the casters you purchased? I would like to get them for the stand alone scroll saw i just purchase.

Joe
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

joe_cool wrote:Dusty do you have the part number of the casters you purchased? I would like to get them for the stand alone scroll saw i just purchase.

Joe
I am sorry, Joe. I do not have the number. I was wondering around Home Depot and came upon an aisle that housed a long row of bins with casters. I bought 4. They are double locking and mount with a threaded stud.

Sorry I can't be more specific.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
joe_cool
Gold Member

Post by joe_cool »

Dusty, I Attempted to find them at my Home Depot but no Luck Would you post a picture of the Casters maybe i can find them somewhere else.