Mini split advice..UPDATE

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

GoNavy
Gold Member

Mini split advice..UPDATE

Post by GoNavy »

Getting quotes on putting a Mitsubishi split air system in the workshop/garage, one head unit in the shop 12k and 9k for the garage side (probably seldom get used). His first quote was for a 24k outdoor condenser and two 12k heads. Seemed a little much, bigger then what I have for the house (den and sunroom) so we scaled back to 20k with a 12k and 9k heads. But my house has a 20k OD with a 15k and 9k heads. So I mentioned this and he said if we get the 24k unit we could do the swap for $600 and use my old house unit for the garage. My question...is it worth swapping these outdoor units ?
all the stuff for my house have already been discontinued...lol..only three years old. Really on the fence, not sure if the swap would make a noticeable difference..getting another 20k for the garage and not swapping would result in about $1000 (smaller unit, no swap charge) lower price tag.

house has a mxz 2b20na2 with head units msz ge15na and msz ge09na
proposed swap unit mxz 3c24na2
garage will have head units msz gl12na and msz gl09na, if I don't swap scaled back outdoor unit would be mxz 2c20na2

comments please...thanks
Last edited by GoNavy on Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Re: Mini split advice

Post by rcplaneguy »

One thing I wanted from my Mitsubishi mini split unit was WiFi control. Very handy and saves quite a bit of cash. I got a two ton unit for my separate garage which is 28’x24’ with 16 foot high ceiling.
number3456
Gold Member

Post by number3456 »

$12,500 was what I was quoted for 2 units for my 24 x 42 shop / garage. Still waiting for them to get back to me on cost for 2 head and one unit. Quite a bit pricier than I was expecting.
520 now upgraded to Mark 7, 520 "shorty", 500 converted to a dedicated drill press.
2 - bandsaws, jig saw, belt sander, strip sander, 4" Jointer, planer, air compressor.
ClearVue dust collection system.
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I just had four heads installed. Three off one pump, with the capacity for a fourth, one on its own head at the other end of the house. 12000 total. I ran my own electric. Best investment ever. My installer did not recomend puttiing one in the shop due to sawdust issues.
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
GoNavy
Gold Member

Post by GoNavy »

Wow crazy estimates, wouldn't do it for that kind of money. I have a small shop less then 400 sq ft and the garage is separate with normal door leading to the shop (have to go thru garage to get to shop) also around 400 sq ft. I have very good dust collection, have too with COPD, so don't think it will be a problem with the split air, also why I need the split air, can't deal with the heat or cold for that matter, this is a must have deal. For the 20k outdoor with the 12k head (for shop side) and 9k head for the garage (probably won't get used very often) was 4295.66 plus tax seems reasonable, getting installed next Friday. Decided not to get the bigger unit and swap it with the house, the extra $1000 bucks just didn't seem justifiable. Well update how it works out
GoNavy
Gold Member

Post by GoNavy »

OK here is the new update, installers called today...can't do it Friday will be Monday, they have another customer that ac went completely out...hmmm don't know if I believe that, I said ok, but I am really getting tiered of being the if we can get to it guy, while still paying full price. We won't even go into the prior emails to get this set up, he only answered about half of my emails questions, and even then took a few days. I got the impression I was not very important and he was just humoring me didn't care whether I got a split air system or not. I really don't understand what it is about my demeanor that says you don't have to worry about screwing me over, I'll put up with it. I guess it is because I am a senior citizen and retired military, must scream he is an easy target. This kind of crap seems to ALWAYS happen to me, bad service, changing install dates, poor installation..etc...I don't have to finance this with Home Depot, I have enough money in my checking to pay this in full with cash, the only and I mean only reason I am going the Home Depot route is the six month no interest deal. My checking gives me interest on the balance, giving HD $1k a month pays them off within that time period and gives me way more interest payment on my checking. I am thinking about telling these folks to KMA telling HD they just lost my business and going back to the est phase and hiring some one else for this deal pay them cash. Of course this means probably another few weeks to get this done and not on Monday. What would you do, really what to know.. if I am just being a PIA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The time to get an AC system installed is NOT during prime repair season.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

GoNavy wrote:OK here is the new update, installers called today...can't do it Friday will be Monday, they have another customer that ac went completely out...hmmm don't know if I believe that, I said ok, but I am really getting tiered of being the if we can get to it guy, while still paying full price. We won't even go into the prior emails to get this set up, he only answered about half of my emails questions, and even then took a few days. I got the impression I was not very important and he was just humoring me didn't care whether I got a split air system or not. I really don't understand what it is about my demeanor that says you don't have to worry about screwing me over, I'll put up with it. I guess it is because I am a senior citizen and retired military, must scream he is an easy target. This kind of crap seems to ALWAYS happen to me, bad service, changing install dates, poor installation..etc...I don't have to finance this with Home Depot, I have enough money in my checking to pay this in full with cash, the only and I mean only reason I am going the Home Depot route is the six month no interest deal. My checking gives me interest on the balance, giving HD $1k a month pays them off within that time period and gives me way more interest payment on my checking. I am thinking about telling these folks to KMA telling HD they just lost my business and going back to the est phase and hiring some one else for this deal pay them cash. Of course this means probably another few weeks to get this done and not on Monday. What would you do, really what to know.. if I am just being a PIA
Plus you will get your 10% military discount on top of the 6 months no interest. I have done it many times. I am just now paying my last charge in August. We do the charges when we need to do repairs or what ever on our two rental properties in Sacramento. Yes we can pay cash but as you said why?

FWIW

We have been able to work with Home Depot here and buy the needed materials with the military discount and charge it on our Home Depot card if necessary and then have the material pickuped in Sacramento by the contractor.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Post by rcplaneguy »

GoNavy,
I got very burned with my first Mitsubishi mini split install. Got a recommendation of a guy that worked for a large local firm (ARS) but was now starting up solo as installer. I helped pick the Mitsu mini that can be controlled with Honeywell total connect redlink wifi. Install went ok but communication was sporadic and I would rate as only fair. Fellow undercut Home Depot’s installer (ARS) bid by a few hundred. Fast forward 11 months. Inside unit made loud racket on cold days. Installer no where to be found. Called Mitsu for warranty and they denied due to the installer not being on their lists. Got ARS (Home Depot) guys to take a look. Inside unit coil had a leak. No warranty. Had to pay an additional $1,800 for new inside unit. Second inside unit also had a coil leak. One more month wait. Third attempt worked ok. Took 1.5 years total to get working reasonably.

Bottom line: go with big company, don’t rush the install, Mitsu is pretty worthless on quality control and warranty. Be sure to call Mitsu customer support and get a referral to one of their premium “diamond level” installers.

Here is a video on the (expensive) mistake in action:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zji7TKpJqfE[/youtube]
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

GoNavy wrote:OK here is the new update, installers called today...can't do it Friday will be Monday, they have another customer that ac went completely out...hmmm don't know if I believe that, I said ok, but I am really getting tiered of being the if we can get to it guy, while still paying full price. We won't even go into the prior emails to get this set up, he only answered about half of my emails questions, and even then took a few days. I got the impression I was not very important and he was just humoring me didn't care whether I got a split air system or not. I really don't understand what it is about my demeanor that says you don't have to worry about screwing me over, I'll put up with it. I guess it is because I am a senior citizen and retired military, must scream he is an easy target. This kind of crap seems to ALWAYS happen to me, bad service, changing install dates, poor installation..etc...I don't have to finance this with Home Depot, I have enough money in my checking to pay this in full with cash, the only and I mean only reason I am going the Home Depot route is the six month no interest deal. My checking gives me interest on the balance, giving HD $1k a month pays them off within that time period and gives me way more interest payment on my checking. I am thinking about telling these folks to KMA telling HD they just lost my business and going back to the est phase and hiring some one else for this deal pay them cash. Of course this means probably another few weeks to get this done and not on Monday. What would you do, really what to know.. if I am just being a PIA
Sorry to come to the party so late, but anymore, I usually only get to the forum a couple times a month. :( I would guess the reason you are getting a runaround from the installer is he is getting significantly more money from other jobs. The “emergency” call is pure profit for him and larger installations usually pay for an entire day or more. I’m not saying it’s proper to treat customers that way, but it’s how many HVAC companies work (I spent 3 years working for one and they were very guilty of that practice as were their competitors).
Regarding Mitsubishi, I had planned to go that route, but they are very picky about warrantying their products and will not budge. I finally decided on a low cost unit through Lowe’s which will go in this fall. Summer is a horrible time to have anything installed as has been mentioned. The companies always go for the summer bucks profit and unless you are a big customer they couldn’t care less if you cancel and go with someone else. A split system means they have to use you as a fill in if another job doesn’t take an entire day. Then if yours does take more than a few hours, they either have to dump you until another day or are late to a bigger job the next day.
Regarding the units sizes, I have no concept of the needs of Arkansas, but they both seem a bit of over kill. Having an A/C cycle because it provides too much cooling can be just as destructive as having it operate too long because it’s undersized. Sounds like they had units in stock that someone else ordered and now they are stuck with inventory they want to dump.
I know it’s not fun to be considered the bottom of the food chain by a “service” company, but those of us who don’t give them many thousands of dollars each year are considered just that. Small HVAC companies are seldom certified by bigger providers like Mitsubishi, so you need to buy something they are certified to install or take your chances that Home Depot or Lowe’s will help when something breaks.
Best of luck.

Be well,
Ben