help in Seattle area with Lathe set up on Mark 5

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DavidA
Bronze Member

help in Seattle area with Lathe set up on Mark 5

Post by DavidA »

I have owned my Mark 5 since 1975 but never used the lathe and would really appreciate help from someone in Seattle area (I live in West Seattle) who is proficient with it and would demonstrate set up and also suggest newer gadgets to make it work better. If you have an hour or so to spare I would really appreciate it and would be glad to share a beer, glass of wine or other refreshment in return.
Dave.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: help in Seattle area with Lathe set up on Mark 5

Post by chapmanruss »

Sorry I live in the Portland area so not close enough for in person help but do you have the Manual for your Mark 5? Also the book Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone is a great resource for using the different functions of the Shopsmith Tool. The Self Study Course has sections on Lathe Turning in Lessons 9 & 10. These can get you started until you find someone close.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

Check for a wood-turning club in the Seattle area.
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

I agree about finding a local turning club. The Seattle club is very active. But also some basics first. I will assume you have the SS set of chisels which are just fine to get up and running with. First you have to have a way to sharpen them and sharpen them very well. Razor sharp chisels are the difference between a nasty turning experience and a great experience. You do not need to spend a bunch of money to accomplish razor sharp. Do you already have a SS belt sander ? If not there is a very inexpensive alternative that we can get into later. If you have the basic SS 500 lathe accessories you are good to go. If you have the money there are a few accessories from SS that are worth every nickle. First on the list is a SS steady rest. They are a game changer for turning on the SS. Second is a live center which is available from lots of vendors. That’s about it for getting started. A note on the steady rest. I found on Craigslist an entire SS 510 with a band saw, belt sander and a steady rest for less than the price of a new steady rest. So take a look around. Besides at the moment I believe they are on back order anyway.
Paul
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

masonsailor2 wrote:I agree about finding a local turning club. The Seattle club is very active. But also some basics first. I will assume you have the SS set of chisels which are just fine to get up and running with. First you have to have a way to sharpen them and sharpen them very well. Razor sharp chisels are the difference between a nasty turning experience and a great experience. You do not need to spend a bunch of money to accomplish razor sharp. Do you already have a SS belt sander ? If not there is a very inexpensive alternative that we can get into later. If you have the basic SS 500 lathe accessories you are good to go. If you have the money there are a few accessories from SS that are worth every nickle. First on the list is a SS steady rest. They are a game changer for turning on the SS. Second is a live center which is available from lots of vendors. That’s about it for getting started. A note on the steady rest. I found on Craigslist an entire SS 510 with a band saw, belt sander and a steady rest for less than the price of a new steady rest. So take a look around. Besides at the moment I believe they are on back order anyway.
Paul
Paul, are you talking about the Shopsmith steady rest, or the universal lathe tool rest?
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Sorry about that. Yes the universal tool rest :D