Clinometer

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Clinometer

Post by dusty »

Why do you have to calculate the angle? You want 14 degrees. After zeroing the Wixey on the blade, just move the Wixey to the table and tilt to 14 degrees. Lock the Table Tilt. Allow the Wixey time to settle and verify the reading.

I use a sliding t-nut in the left hand miter track and place the Wixey on it rather than the fence.

Do me a favor and tilt the table to 76 degrees (rather than 74 degrees) to see if what that does. :)
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

I tried the app yesterday and it worked great. The cover on my phone seemed to grip the table very well. Thanks for the tip.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

What sort of accuracy are we shoting for?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Oops. 76* not 74*
Accuracy...two decimals is adequate for me. I can't imagine needing anything more.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Gene Howe wrote:Oops. 76* not 74*
Accuracy...two decimals is adequate for me. I can't imagine needing anything more.
i.e. ± 0.5° ?

If not using a 'zero' step with the phone is adequate, why not omit that step with the wixey as well?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I went back and double checked the app I use , it says bubble not compass . , here is some thing to check if on your app ,, I lay my phone on its side I get a reading of 1.0 if I stand it up I get 2.6 if I lay it on its back I get 2.1 , my phone is some where around 5 inches long ,they should all read the same ,,, project that reading out several inches and the angle is way off . put it on a un level table you could just do the math to get the right angle as long as the blade is square to the table but who wants do do all that when all you want is a angle ? I may try another app and see if it is different . good conversation thanks .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

JPG, I checked it against the Wixey and both give the same readings through several tilt positions.
Maybe it's not necessary but, I always zeroed the Wixey on the blade. The levelness of the table is not consequential. But, I like to start with the table at 90 to the blade.
For me, the advantages of the Clinometer are:

1. It's Free

2. It's Accurate

3. Being on the phone it's a. handy b. it's rechargeable and, c. it's easier to read at any angle.

It won't reaplace my old standbys for angle finding but it's another tool in the arsenal.

And, did I mention...IT'S FREE.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Gene Howe wrote:JPG, I checked it against the Wixey and both give the same readings through several tilt positions.
Maybe it's not necessary but, I always zeroed the Wixey on the blade. The levelness of the table is not consequential. But, I like to start with the table at 90 to the blade.
For me, the advantages of the Clinometer are:

1. It's Free

2. It's Accurate

3. Being on the phone it's a. handy b. it's rechargeable and, c. it's easier to read at any angle.

It won't reaplace my old standbys for angle finding but it's another tool in the arsenal.

And, did I mention...IT'S FREE.
Or, for $0.99, you can upgrade the software to a paid version that supports differential angle measurements. :)

The accuracy that you get will depend on your device hardware, so I wouldn't expect everyone to get the same results. I haven't yet tested measurement accuracy on mine.

I found that I have exactly one surface on my Android phone case that is nice and flat. But it happens to be the left-side edge, which is probably the most useful one for me.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Just a question to provoke some thought and discussion on this matter!

Assuming that you have a perfectly good Wixey that is stored away in the cabinet:

When you take the Wixey out, turn it on and set in on a "flat" surface - what does it show. DON'T ZERO IT.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Skizzity
Gold Member

Re: RE: Re: Clinometer

Post by Skizzity »

dusty wrote:Just a question to provoke some thought and discussion on this matter!

Assuming that you have a perfectly good Wixey that is stored away in the cabinet:

When you take the Wixey out, turn it on and set in on a "flat" surface - what does it show. DON'T ZERO IT.
\/ 90.9 degrees
PowerPro Mark 7, 11" Bandsaw, 4" Jointer, 12" Professional Planer, DC3300 Dust Collector, DW745, DW718 w/ DW723 and a DW788 w/ DW7880.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. -Winston Churchill