making wooden yoyos on a drill press with a hole saw

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ramijames
Bronze Member

making wooden yoyos on a drill press with a hole saw

Post by ramijames »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZyQ_B7syes

So for the last week (seriously, a solid week) I've been trying to make wooden yoyos and have been mucking it up like a boorish buffoon. BUT FINALLY THERE IS THE SCENT OF SWEET SUCCESS IN THE AIR. But.. not without the bitter stink of much idiocy did this deed come about. I found that a holesaw is a decent way of making yoyos, with the caveat that you have to make sure that the wood is already the thickness you want each half to be. Sawing the yoyo in half after it is round IS NOT THE WAY TO GO. I made a bunch out of birtch plywood after this video and they work well, too. I would say that they are a bit better because they are heavier.. but they look much less nice and aren't as pleasant to the touch. If I had some spare hardwood scraps, I'd probably use those.. Things that I'd like to try: 1. Checkerboard pattern. I think that all the cool stuff that people do for chopping blocks can be applied here. 2. A huge yoyo. Seriously. That'd be so much fun.
reible
Platinum Member

Re: making wooden yoyos on a drill press with a hole saw

Post by reible »

Yes a lot of how not to do it. Included using hand drill with hole saw when it is clear there is a drill press to use. How about that table saw bit, yea that was safe. I don't know, perhaps a better title is "living dangerous while making a yo-yo".

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
videobear
Gold Member

Post by videobear »

I think if I was making a yo-yo I'd add a couple of weights to it, and use a metal axle. Wood's pretty, but every wooden yo-yo I've handled has not been massive enough to spin for very long.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

videobear wrote:I think if I was making a yo-yo I'd add a couple of weights to it, and use a metal axle. Wood's pretty, but every wooden yo-yo I've handled has not been massive enough to spin for very long.
I should be making one soon. My future son in law's birthday is next month, he is hard to buy for, and I found out that he is a yo yo enthusiast. I already got a kit from Lee Valley, just need to turn it. Will post pictures when I get it done. :)

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.a ... 0237,49920
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

rpd wrote:
videobear wrote:I think if I was making a yo-yo I'd add a couple of weights to it, and use a metal axle. Wood's pretty, but every wooden yo-yo I've handled has not been massive enough to spin for very long.
I should be making one soon. My future son in law's birthday is next month, he is hard to buy for, and I found out that he is a yo yo enthusiast. I already got a kit from Lee Valley, just need to turn it. Will post pictures when I get it done. :)

Great now I have something else I want to make... when is lee valley going to have the free shipping again???

Ed
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

reible wrote:
rpd wrote:

Great now I have something else I want to make... when is lee valley going to have the free shipping again???

Ed
Gotcha. :D

Not sure re the free shipping, I think they might have just had one for Canada Day (July 1) / Independence Day (July 4).
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Oh wow. I didn’t know they sold the axle kit. Thanks for the link Ron. This is going to be a fun one. I have been doing all the kitchen stuff ( ice cream scoop, salt pepper mills etc.) and getting to the point where everyone we know has a set and this is a perfect gift turning ! I mean everybody needs a custom YoYo and it will be a great way to use up all the really small pieces of wood in the scap bin.
Paul
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

Penn State also has Yo-Yo offerings.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/yoyo-kits.html

I have never tried any of the products and based on reviews probably would not try the blank cutters.

The shortie Mandrel (eh? you could do the same thing with a standard mandrel and clever custom bushings)

But the chrome ball bearing axles might be worth a try.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

How timely:

Free Shipping

On orders $40 or more placed
July 13 – 17, 2018 *

Well looks like it's time for an order!

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Placed my order at Lee Valley this morning. Getting two of them and a couple of other items to make the $40 free shipping. I also ordered the mandrel to make sure I'd get everything I needed right off the bat and not have to find out that it is some odd thread(metric).

The blanks are minimum 2-1/2" square and 3/4" thick hardwood. Might venture to the Rockler or Woodcraft to see what interesting woods to try or dig in the scrap bin.....

Ed