Clinometer

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Clinometer

Post by Gene Howe »

You savvy guys probably already know about this gadget but, this old luddite was totally amazed by it.
I was needing to tilt the table to 14* and was using the Wixey. I've always found the Wixey to be less than handy. In my frustration I decided that if there was a physical unit that read tilts, I'd buy it. So, Google to the rescue. This app was the first thing that popped up for the cell phone....and it's a freebie.
In less than 5 minutes, I was using it to set the angle of tilt. Works much easier than the Wixey...which will soon be retired.https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... clinometer
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: Clinometer

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Thanks for the heads-up, Gene! I had a version of that app on my 1st-generation iPad, and it was cool, but not very practical on a tablet with a rounded back, and inserted into a case with thin vinyl edges. I had forgotten all about it, but my current Android phone doesn’t have those limitations. I’ll give it another go, and check the accuracy against some precision references.
rcoder
Gold Member

Post by rcoder »

I have been using the apple version for some time. It is part of the compass app.

Bob
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Make sure the machine , and table are level before you use the thing , I also use the compass app and have found some issues .
one is my phone as rounded ends and the edge of my phone cover isnt exactly flat. I used it on a kitchen window and then double checked it with a bubble level and it was off . Just my 2cnts
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

I just make sure the table is square to the blade before use the phone app for the tilt.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

My phone app doesnt have a zero feature so if the table is out of level then so will be the degree .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Hobbyman2 wrote:My phone app doesnt have a zero feature so if the table is out of level then so will be the degree .
I'd scrap that app. What good is an angle indicator if you have no reference.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

When the table is square to the blade, the app clinometer on the table reads 0* and, 90* on the blade. In my case, I wanted 14*. Tilted the table to a 14* reading and made a test cut. It was right on.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I'm going to have to load the app and see for myself. I am confused about how this works.

I think you are saying that you first take a reference reading (in this case the table) and then take the test reading (the blade).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

I first move the table up and off the blade. Then, put on a clean steel sanding disc. Then, lower the table and square it to the steel sanding disc with an engineer's square. Then, exchange the disc for the blade. Now the table and blade are at a 90 to each other. At this point I'd zero out the Wixey on the blade and then set it on the table and tilt it. Using the fence to keep it from sliding off. Then calculate the angle. For a 14* tilt, the Wixey should read 74*. Now, I set the phone on edge on the table and tilt it to the 14* as it reads on the phone. If it were a conventional TS, you'd just measure the blade tilt. Still easier than the Wixey. And, it's free.