Need new hand planer

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Grong
Bronze Member

Need new hand planer

Post by Grong »

Hello! I'm very glad that I found your forum!) It seems to me that there is high online.

And so, the crux of the matter. Advise me please a good hand planer. It can be electric (which would be probably easier and better) and can be manual. The budget is 200 $. I prefer American or Canadian production. It is possible Australia was good too (if they let out such).

Thank you!)
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Need new hand planer

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I picked up one from wen a while back , so far it has been just fine, it isnt something I use every day however it done fine job on oak and honey locust , if it is some thing you will use often then maybe a industrial one might be better

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-6530-Electri ... B00OW5AJTG

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... r&_sacat=0
Last edited by Hobbyman2 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Grong wrote:Hello! I'm very glad that I found your forum!) It seems to me that there is high online.

And so, the crux of the matter. Advise me please a good hand planer. It can be electric (which would be probably easier and better) and can be manual. The budget is 200 $. I prefer American or Canadian production. It is possible Australia was good too (if they let out such).

Thank you!)
Grong, please introduce yourself to the forum. Are you a Shopsmith user? If so, please tell us what equipment you have and what your Shopsmith experience level is. Why are you here (Shopsmith Forum) with a question totally unrelated to Shopsmith?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Grong
Bronze Member

Post by Grong »

I'm sorry if I broke the rules! I thought the free discussion here is also allowed. Now I'm going to write introduce-post

And thanks for replies!
Grong
Bronze Member

Post by Grong »

Well ... My name is Alan, I'm from Australia. I am 29 years old. The Forum was advised by a Friend (more precisely, it was one of several forums that he offered me). I'm not sure if he uses your products, but if he knows about the existence of your forum, he most likely knows what. In my spare time I do woodworking. This is my hobby.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

if you dont have a shopsmith I can say they are worth their weight , it is nice to see the younger generations involved in some thing other then computers . so tell us about the lumber you use and its characteristics , I have a uncle who carves and he cant get enough from non native to the USA lumber .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Gtong, please ignore our tendency to be suspicious of first time posters that seem to be about other stuff than SS. 'Quaint' English is another cause for suspicion.

We have been the target of a lot of SPAM lately which lowers our threshold.

Welcome here as long as thee are serious and not a SPAMMER!!!!

I have no experience with powered hand planes so cannot offer any meaningful answer.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Grong
Bronze Member

Post by Grong »

Yes, I understand you. And sorry for my english, it's really not my first language. If you have any new information about hand planers, I'll be happy to listen to you.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Grong wrote:Yes, I understand you. And sorry for my english, it's really not my first language. If you have any new information about hand planers, I'll be happy to listen to you.
You need not be 'sorry' for your 'English'. It is far better than my (your first language).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Grong
Bronze Member

Post by Grong »

It's nice to hear it! Thank you!
At the expense of the planer ... I looked at the YouTube review of Dewalt DCP.

except for its large size (which can lead to inconvenience in the work) in all respects I approached. The power is a bit weak, 15,000, but one familiar master said that I will not build this Manhattan, so I will be enough. I liked Planing width which is 3-1/4 (but I noticed now almost all planers have this feature). In general, I still would like to hear your advice. Thank you!
Last edited by Grong on Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.