Mark V Headstock maintenance & repair

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DonalNewGuy
Bronze Member

Mark V Headstock maintenance & repair

Post by DonalNewGuy »

I was trying to do recommended maintenance on Mark V. After doing some cleaning & lubricating, the instructions said to install the sanding disk on the main spindle, turn the disk by hand and slowly turn the speed dial from "fast" to "slow."

I attempted to do so. It was very hard to turn the disk sander and suddenly, I heard a "snap" and small screw head fell on the floor.

I have since pulled the headstock, removed the motor and the speed control sheaves. I expected to find a broken screw or someplace with a missing screw. But, everything came apart as shown on youtube examples. Any ideas where the screw came from?
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Mark V Headstock maintenance & repair

Post by JPG »

Post a pix of that screw head.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DonalNewGuy
Bronze Member

Post by DonalNewGuy »

I've been away from the computer for a few days. I didn't keep the screw. It was the just the head from a #6 pan head screw (I assume machine screw). Thanks.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

I can't think of anywhere in the drive train where there is a pan head screw. There are pan head screws holding the legs on the casting, and the casters on to the legs, but there's no reason for one of those to snap while turning a sanding disc or the speed control.

Was this a steel sanding disc (versus old aluminum)? I ask because the steel sanding discs are held onto the sanding disc arbor via machine screws, I think.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The only screws with the description you gave that I can think of on the headstock are the ones holding the Speed Control Assembly on the headstock or the one holding the Wire Retaining Clip inside the headstock. You can remove the Speed Control Dial to see if it is one of them. To check the Wire Retaining Clip look through the access hole above the Speed Control Assembly to see if it is loose.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Look at the bare face of your sanding disk. You should see 4 screw heads in the center of the disk.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

We DO all have a common understanding of what a "pan" head screw looks like?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DonalNewGuy
Bronze Member

Post by DonalNewGuy »

Sorry for the delay. I've been away.

I think the screw is # 48 on the exploded diagram (see page # 6 of the PDF - part # 448027). From the diagram, it looks like the same location as screw # 104 in the exploded diagram (part # 515616). I have that screw. It is the bottom screw (3/8 inch) in the attachment.
screws.JPG
screws.JPG (176.58 KiB) Viewed 7242 times
. The top screw (3/4 inch) appears to the "pan head" screw that I found the broken head. But, I can't figure out where it goes.

Screw # 104 is the one I removed from the eccentric bushing.
eccentric bushing.JPG
eccentric bushing.JPG (177.84 KiB) Viewed 7242 times
If you can tell me where Screw # 48 goes, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for all the help.
Attachments
MKVSTDPartsList _1_14.pdf
(505.32 KiB) Downloaded 1021 times
DonalNewGuy
Bronze Member

Post by DonalNewGuy »

Correction - the part # for screw # 104 is 515615.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

#47 is a much larger screw(5/16-18??) that squeezes the headstock around the eccentric.

If there is a tapped hole immediately above the eccentric bore, that pictured screw goes there. I believe it also needs a flat washer. I will look at the explodes parts diagram an return with a "#".

OK, it is #48
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝